EPA kills more jobs and prosperity in Appalachia

Revere

Rookie
Jan 23, 2010
Watching you in my profile page
See, these ideologues don't care how much human misery results from the consequences of their actions.

The EPA needs to be defunded.

UPDATE 1-US axes permit for Arch's giant mountain coalmine | Reuters

WASHINGTON, Jan 13 (Reuters) - The Obama administration
revoked a permit on Thursday for Arch Coal Inc's (ACI.N)
proposed Spruce 1 mountaintop coal mine in West Virginia,
effectively shutting one of the biggest in the United States. "The proposed Spruce No. 1 Mine would use destructive and
unsustainable mining practices that jeopardize the health of
Appalachian communities and clean water on which they depend,"
said Peter Silvan, an assistant administrator for water, at the
Environmental Protection Agency. The EPA's final ruling under the Clean Water Act came after
a scientific study, a public hearing, and a review of more than
50,000 public comments, the agency said. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers had approved a permit for
the mine in 2007, but it had not been fully constructed.
[ID:nN15219373]. Lawmakers from West Virginia said the EPA's move would hurt
the state's economy. "Today's EPA decision is not just fundamentally wrong, it
is an unprecedented act by the federal government that will
cost our state and our nation even more jobs during the worst
recession in this country's history," Senator Joe Manchin, a
Democrat, said in a release. Senator Jay Rockefeller, also a Democrat, wrote a letter to
President Barack Obama, that said: "as a nation we must not
fall into the trap of forcing unnecessary choices between
protecting the environment and having good paying jobs that
support energy independence." St. Louis-based Arch said it would vigorously defend the
permit in court. EPA's revocation of the permit blocks an
additional $250 million in investment and 250 jobs, the company
said.

See, these ideologues don't care how much human misery results from the consequences of their actions.
Yeah.....who-the-Hell needs clean drinking-water....especially if YOU don't live there, right? :rolleyes:

"The EPA noted in its ruling that it has worked with companies to design mining operations that adequately protect our nation's water, but that Arch Coal has refused to make any changes to its operations.

“EPA's final determination on the Spruce Mine comes after discussions with the company spanning more than a year failed to produce an agreement that would lead to a significant decrease in impacts to the environment and Appalachian communities. The action prevents the mine from disposing the waste into streams unless the company identifies an alternative mining design that would avoid irreversible damage to water quality and meets the requirements of the law. Despite EPA's willingness to consider alternatives, Mingo Logan did not offer any new proposed mining configurations in response to EPA's Recommended Determination.”

The decision represents a huge win for Appalachian groups such as I Love Mountains which has been fighting an uphill battle for what should be a basic human right of drinkable water in the region."

Advances in mining technology have probably "killed" more jobs there than the EPA could dream of.

How do you know the EPA is wrong?

We don't need any farmable land or clean water, we just need 250 jobs!

Conversely, how do you know the EPA isn't wrong?

• Banned

I grew up in eastern KY, within 1 mile of a strip mine. Which moved in when I was about 10.
I have seen the creek look like black goo, not water, etc.

I KNOW! What do you know about it?

I grew up in eastern KY, within 1 mile of a strip mine. Which moved in when I was about 10.
I have seen the creek look like black goo, not water, etc.

I KNOW! What do you know about it?

Are there laws against that now?

Advances in mining technology have probably "killed" more jobs there than the EPA could dream of.

In this case, the EPA killed the jobs.

The greed of easier / larger profits is what brought about strip mining in the first place. Job reduction and more mechanization is what mining is all about.
It is a nice sounding term called efficiency in the business world. Or productivitity.

The greed of easier / larger profits is what brought about strip mining in the first place. Job reduction and more mechanization is what mining is all about.
It is a nice sounding term called efficiency in the business world. Or productivitity.

Well, there will be no mine now. Is that better?

It's been hijacked by anti-energy, anti growth leftists.

Wanting clean air and water and unspoiled natural land in this country is hijacking??? Oh, you must be one of those corporatists that want to let businesses run roughshod over everyone else while chasing $$$. If anything, the EPA doesn't do enough.

I just can't get indignant toward the EPA for blocking a permit that would have created 250 jobs, when the industry itself is already hemorrhaging workers for other reasons.

These politicians are using buzz phrases to press emotional buttons, and you're falling for it.

This case is not a legit reason, imo, for the EPA to be disbanded.

....As-opposed-to allowing big-mine owners to poison drinking-water....and, kill local-residents.

Yeah....whatta conundrum.
282.png

It's been hijacked by anti-energy, anti growth leftists.
....Except, you forgot who all-o'-them are.....or, you'd have listed them, here, right??

Wankin.gif

Forum List

Back