EPA kills more jobs and prosperity in Appalachia

I wonder what Revere would say if some big corporation came in and dug his back yard all up and ruined his drinking water supply? The roar of machinery keeping him up all night for a year or two, black dust coating everything, including the insides of his childrens lungs, etc?

And not a damn thing he could do about it.

with broad form mineral rights you cannot stop them from destroying your land.

Seriously, I wish he would go and talk to the people who have to live downstream from that nightmare and tell THEM to their face that their lives and property are worth less than the mining corporation's profits.

Advances in mining technology have probably "killed" more jobs there than the EPA could dream of.

Yep if strip mining did not exist then there would be thousands more miners employed.
Uh....."Advances in mining technology" more-than-likely refers to MECHANIZATION....you know, MACHINERY doing more o' the work???

(Are you really that stupid? :eusa_eh: )​

Seriously, I wish he would go and talk to the people who have to live downstream from that nightmare and tell THEM to their face that their lives and property are worth less than the mining corporation's profits.

Those like Revere are just ignorant corporate parrots and do not have a clue as to what is going on.

If the EPA claims are true, sounds to me like this benefits the people in Appalachia.

We don't need any farmable land or clean water, we just need 250 jobs!

I thought Republicans didn't want any government help.

The only thing the EPA wants, according to the right wing, it to stop Republicans from turning America into a "Wonderland" that looks like this:

lu-guang-pollution-in-china-07.jpg

Or is this how the right defines "prosperity"?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been hijacked by anti-energy, anti growth leftists.

Wanting clean air and water and unspoiled natural land in this country is hijacking??? Oh, you must be one of those corporatists that want to let businesses run roughshod over everyone else while chasing $$$. If anything, the EPA doesn't do enough.

I'm afraid Revere is devoutly married to Corporate America.

"Dingess-Rum Coal Company served notice to Dehue residents renting old coal company houses, giving them 30 days to move. Then they burned the houses down one by one, although some residents had not yet left. Dehue, like dozens of other mining towns, was once a busy center of activity with a grocery, post office, theater, barbershop, pool hall, school payroll office, and Civic Club. These communities become ghost towns and over time are dismantled. Day lilies and fruit trees often mark the spot of leveled homes lining a road. Dehue was located off Route 10 on Rum Creek south of Logan. It began in 1916 as a coal mine company town owned by Youngstown Mines Corporation. It existed as late as the 1970s, but the homes were never sold to private residents. Houses were cleared and burned in 2000 and 2001."

Don't you just LOVE those coal companies? Yeah, they need government protection

See, these ideologues don't care how much human misery results from the consequences of their actions.

The EPA needs to be defunded.

How do you know the EPA is wrong?

We don't need any farmable land or clean water, we just need 250 jobs!

Conversely, how do you know the EPA isn't wrong?

I grew up in eastern KY, within 1 mile of a strip mine. Which moved in when I was about 10.
I have seen the creek look like black goo, not water, etc.

I KNOW! What do you know about it?
In another life.......... I was a crew leader on the NorFuckinWestward railroad.
I saw the poverty, toothless, flag waving, morons, voting against their own best interests, in full force.
"Come here. Cancer. $8 an hour."
Gawd Blast murka an Kaptalizm.
Care to guess how they voted ?
murkinz.

I've seen strip mining and open pit operations that work pretty well in the western states, wyoming, montana, nevada. However, it's just flat, ugly, and there are no residential properties nearby. Strip mining is a pretty rough proposition for folks in eastern ky though. It's safer than regular mining but it causes subsidence, pollutes local streams that are near the operation, and devalues property. Totally against mountain top removal. Currently, one company is trying to remove a mountain in montana's pristine western rockies. So far, it's been held up. I hope it stays that way. I fly fish out there every year and would hate for the rivers to start turning brown, black, acidic.

If the EPA claims are true, sounds to me like this benefits the people in Appalachia.

Those of us who actually live in Appalachia understand the multitude of problems with and issues surrounding mountaintop mining and how it affects other industries and sources of wealth and income in the same areas. It's our backyard, not a troll's bridge. :lol:

How do you know the EPA is wrong?

Conversely, how do you know the EPA isn't wrong?

I grew up in eastern KY, within 1 mile of a strip mine. Which moved in when I was about 10.

In another life.......... I was a crew leader on the NorFuckinWestward railroad.
I saw the poverty, toothless, flag waving, morons, voting against their own best interests, in full force.
murkinz.

Ohh yes there are plenty like Revere in Applachia.
Many of them belong to the church of Palintology.

Those of us who actually live in Appalachia understand the multitude of problems with and issues surrounding mountaintop mining and how it affects other industries and sources of wealth and income in the same areas. It's our backyard, not a troll's bridge. :lol:

:clap2:

Advances in mining technology have probably "killed" more jobs there than the EPA could dream of.

Yep if strip mining did not exist then there would be thousands more miners employed.

Who cares? The company wants to mine and was given approval in by the EPA in 2007.
Yeah....BUSH'S EPA!!!
eusa_doh.gif

I guess you never-heard-about how those things work. :rolleyes:

I4391-2004Jul21

"Anne M. Gorsuch Burford, 62, the Environmental Protection Agency director who resigned under fire in 1983 during a scandal over mismanagement of a $1.6 billion program to clean up hazardous waste dumps, died of cancer July 18 at Aurora Medical Center in Colorado.

Her 22-month tenure was one of the most controversial of the early Reagan administration. A firm believer that the federal government, and specifically the EPA, was too big, too wasteful and too restrictive of business, Ms. Burford cut her agency's budget by 22 percent. She boasted that she reduced the thickness of the book of clean water regulations from six inches to a half-inch.

Republicans and Democrats alike accused Ms. Burford of dismantling her agency rather than directing it to aggressively protect the environment. They pointed to budgets cuts for research and enforcement, to steep declines in the number of cases filed against polluters, to efforts to relax portions of the Clean Air Act, to an acceleration of federal approvals for the spraying of restricted pesticides and more. Her agency tried to set aside a 30-by-40-mile rectangle of ocean due east of the Delaware-Maryland coast where incinerator ships would burn toxic wastes at 1,200 degrees centigrade."

Your return-flight to Bubbleheadlandia awaits.

303.gif

murkinz.

Question: what do you call someone who believes Jesus shot triceratops from his helicopter?

Answer: A Palintologist.

:thanks:

murkinz.

Not too many with that attitude around here, I have to say. Not where mountaintop mining is concerned, anyway. Far more income in this area comes from agriculture and tourism for hunting and fishing than coal and iron mining these days, it's simply the nature of the mining industry. A dozen people can do the work with modern technology it once took hundreds to do manually.

If anybody wanted to rip the top off a mountain and kill off whole industries, dump property values in the crapper and poison water supplies for 250 measly jobs they'd end up tarred, feathered and run out of town.

If they're lucky. :eusa_shhh:

Forum List

Back