"Ender's Game" Boycott

JoeBitch seems to think Dr. Who is good Science Fiction.

:lmao:

So much for its hope to ever have credibility.

You mean other than the fact it's been around for 50 years and has millions of fans.

Other than that, you mean?

Yes. Very much OTHER than that, you ignorant jerkoff.

Longevity and popularity do not translate into quality.

Dr. Who (like you) is piss poor plodding crap. Dreadful garbage. No wonder you like it.

You mean other than the fact it's been around for 50 years and has millions of fans.

Dr. Who (like you) is piss poor plodding crap. Dreadful garbage. No wonder you like it.

Well, gee, I guess if you like Cool explosions and shit, you might get confused...

Or that they don't write anything good.

Shit? She's the person responsible for the Twilight Abortions?

The ones that turned vampires into total pussies that no one is afraid of anymore?

Jesus, just what I need. Yet another good reason to hate fucking Mormons!

I never judge a book by its movie, if I did I would have to hate one of the best books ever written because it was made into a Robin Williams movie.

I haven't watched the movies or read the books...

but Twilight turned vampires into imaginary gay boyfriends for wannabe Goth girls. Ugh.

Hey, let's not forget the other bit of silliness Mormons inflicted on SF.

Battlestar Gallactica. Or as I like to call it, "Mormons in Spaaaace".

Twilight did not do that, Buffy did.

Watch it, I like Doctor Who myself.

I have to admit that you did peg the general quality of the show, but I still like it.

It also has a larger percentage of Mormon writers than any other genre.

I didn't know that, but I CAN name two SF writers I know are Mormons. (Card and Tracey Hickman) Now that I think about it, Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman's Dragonlance Chronicles seem to be a retelling of the Book of Mormon. (AFAIK, Weis is not a Mormon.)

I feel confident that Dragonlance is a much better read than the book of Mormon. :lol:

Also, has Hickman written much (or any) science fiction? I can only recall his fantasy; Weiss is the one I know has written at least a little sci fi.

I haven't read the Book of Mormon, but the parallels are tough to miss: the heroes are looking for the "Disks of Mishakal", which contain the teachings of the gods of good. (The goddess Mishakal stands in for the angel Moroni, the disks for Smith's "golden plates".)

I never judge a book by its movie, if I did I would have to hate one of the best books ever written because it was made into a Robin Williams movie.

but Twilight turned vampires into imaginary gay boyfriends for wannabe Goth girls. Ugh.

Hey now, let's not start disparaging Buffy! A far better show than Dr. Who. :eusa_whistle:

Hey now, let's not start disparaging Buffy! A far better show than Dr. Who. :eusa_whistle:

True, but it would have been far better if someone had put a stake in Spike's heart at some point, preferably the first time she beat his ass.

True, but it would have been far better if someone had put a stake in Spike's heart at some point, preferably the first time she beat his ass.

My favorite season (five) was with Spike. I tended to prefer the Angel romance to Spike, and hated Riley, but it had its moments.

Of course, I've got no problem with people doing their own take on the 'classic' vampire. Twilight's problems don't stem from the daytime walking, sparkly vampires....that's more a symptom. ;)

My favorite season (five) was with Spike. I tended to prefer the Angel romance to Spike, and hated Riley, but it had its moments.

Of course, I've got no problem with people doing their own take on the 'classic' vampire. Twilight's problems don't stem from the daytime walking, sparkly vampires....that's more a symptom. ;)

I didn't read the books so I can't really comment on that, but I did sit through the movies and thought the last movie turned the entire series into something unique, the first self parodying movie in history.

I didn't read the books so I can't really comment on that, but I did sit through the movies and thought the last movie turned the entire series into something unique, the first self parodying movie in history.

I haven't read the books either. I may, at some point, try.....but as I'm expecting teeny crap, I doubt I ever will.

Then again, I got through the Hunger Games books, so maybe I could read Twilight, too. :tongue:

I've got plenty of other stuff to read though. I don't know when I'd get around to it. Actually, I think I'd rather go find some Buffy novels to read (surely someone has written some).

".

I think Ann Rice also had her hand in that.

Alas, the Poor Vampire. They used to be scary.

Well, gee, I guess if you like Cool explosions and shit, you might get confused...

No you baselessly vainglorious gasbag. I like good science fiction.

Clearly, you can't even recognize it.

I see you didn't read Rice either, why am I not surprised?

I have read Rice, and he's got a point. There is certainly some male/male love and sexual interaction in her books, and as Lestat says, he is the 'gentleman' vampire. Rice's vampires are more romantic than scary.

I don't know that it appeals to wannabe goth girls, though.

I see you didn't read Rice either, why am I not surprised?

I have read Rice, and he's got a point. There is certainly some male/male love and sexual interaction in her books, and as Lestat says, he is the 'gentleman' vampire. Rice's vampires are more romantic than scary.

I don't know that it appeals to wannabe goth girls, though.

I think you should reread the books. The entire point about the vampires is how dangerous they are.

By the way, the definition of a gentleman used by Lestat has nothing to do with being polite, it is entirely about hiding the corruption behind a facade. He had absolute contempt for everyone who refused to look beyond the surface and seek the truth.

Even her Sleeping Beauty series is more about the danger and seduction of power than the sex, and it was deliberately written to be about sex.

I thought the Gor books were great. When I was 12. Me and my little friends even used the Tuchuk greetings, which I can still remember.

How are the bosk?

-- As well as may be expected.

Are the quivas sharp?

-- One tries to keep them so.

It is important to keep the axles of the wagons well-greased.

-- Yes, I believe that is true.

But that was the first 6 books, when it was still mostly story. With each following novel, it got more and more about how regular whippings was what women really wanted. I'd have to skip 75% of the book to find the few bits of actual story. I eventually gave up around book 13. Forget about offensive, John Norman had succeeded in making S&M look deadly dull.

I've got nothing against good sword-and-planet pulp, if it's good. Kenneth Bulmer did a fine 53-volume Kregen set that I particularly enjoy. And there's always the original Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Forum List

Back