"Ender's Game" Boycott

Not to mention, off the top of my head...
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Holmes: four novels, 56 short stories)
Ian Fleming (Bond: 12 and two)
Lilian Jackson Braun (The Cat Who... murder mysteries, 29)

In current books, I am a fan of David Weber, and his Honor Harrington series has passed 14 books if you count the anthologies(although some feel it has stretched too far, and I can understand that. :lol:)

You could as easily argue that it takes a particular talent to be able to continue a series so long and keep it fresh enough to remain enjoyable.

Certainly does, though I never got into Weber's writing.

I couldn't quantify what it is about Weber that appeals to me; I can actually point to flaws or problems with things, but I find it much harder to specify what I enjoy about it. I find it extremely easy to read, which I consider the best compliment one can give a work of fiction. I get into the story, I don't want to put the books down. I overlook or don't notice the flaws because of how easily I can slip into the world he creates.

It's the same with movies I really enjoy. I can more easily find the flaws than the things that work particularly well, and I think that's the point. A good work of fiction usually isn't about specifics so much as an overall feel for me.

Incidently the Perry Rhodan series has 2700 installments. Almost no one considers them "Good".

John Norman wrote 32 Gor novels... considered highly misogynistic by most people... No one considers them good.

You weren't challenged to prove that SOME folks who write 14 novels in a series are talentless.

YOUR idiotic and ignorant and baseless contention was "anyone who milks a franchise for 14 books doesn't really have any talent."

And that is facially false and you are obviously just a dolt.

A writer who has to keep revisiting the same not terribly interesting characters because they are a brand has little talent.

More of your baseless churlish opinion.

[

If you seriously want your ass handed to you over Gor feel free to start another thread. I will invite all the Gorean people who actually know the subject in to hand you your ass. My guess is you won't be surprised to find out you know less about Gor than you do about Agatha Christie.

Yawn, guy, the books are well known in sf circles for their extreme misogyny... and they suck.

The problem with SF as a Genre, why it doesn't get a lot of respect is that for every Asimov, you have guys like Card and Norman and the people who write those tedious Trek novels.

[

If you seriously want your ass handed to you over Gor feel free to start another thread. I will invite all the Gorean people who actually know the subject in to hand you your ass. My guess is you won't be surprised to find out you know less about Gor than you do about Agatha Christie.

Yawn, guy, the books are well known in sf circles for their extreme misogyny... and they suck.

The problem with SF as a Genre, why it doesn't get a lot of respect is that for every Asimov, you have guys like Card and Norman and the people who write those tedious Trek novels.

Because, what, other genres have all great writers? There are no tedious series in other genres, just sci-fi? :tongue:

[

Because, what, other genres have all great writers? There are no tedious series in other genres, just sci-fi? :tongue:

It's not surprising that JoeBwhatever dislikes SciFi. As a genre, it has a more optimistic view of humanity and our future than other forms of fiction.

[

It's not surprising that JoeBwhatever dislikes SciFi. As a genre, it has a more optimistic view of humanity and our future than other forms of fiction.

Did you not notice the Avi's I've been using for the past seven months?

Or are you just kind of dense?

I like GOOD Science Fiction, and no true fan of the Genre calls it "Sci-Fi".

"Sci-Fi" is movies about Sharknadoes.

[

^ Pant load is wrong again. Science fiction is known as Sci fi or SF or science fiction.

And there are all manner of true fans.

SOME even like that Dr. Who crap

[

^ Pant load is wrong again. Science fiction is known as Sci fi or SF or science fiction.

Actually, most good writers in the Genre will look down on you if you call it "Sci-Fi".

Harlan Ellison threatened to nail people's pets heads to tables.

[

Like I said, start a thread. I can bring in enough SF fans and die hard feminists to hand you your ass if you want to see what it looks like. The only people who really believe that crap are the ones who haven't read the books.

By the way, the books suck, but not because they are misogynistic.

By the way, did you ever admit that you were wrong about any writer who stretches a series for 13 books can't write?

Last edited:

It also has a larger percentage of Mormon writers than any other genre.

[

Nobody thinks Doctor Who is "good science fiction," that is why it is so popular among SF fans.

Actually, most good writers in the Genre will look down on you if you call it "Sci-Fi".

What planet have you been on? Harlan Ellison is a pretentious asshole, and anyone that agrees with him about how to refer to the genre is a fool.

I wonder if you are mistaking the word 'good' with 'pretentious'.

Or do the authors you consider good have some kind of issue with contractions?

:lol:

[

Sturgeon's law.

It bugged Asimov too, but the tide has shifted. I generally use SFF myself so that I can talk about everything I like without worrying about labels. Comic books aren't hard core science fiction, but neither is Fahrenheit 451, 1984. or Slaughterhouse Five. If Ellison had his way Pratchett wouldn't be allowed to be called science fiction.

It bugged Asimov too, but the tide has shifted. I generally use SFF myself so that I can talk about everything I like without worrying about labels. Comic books aren't hard core science fiction, but neither is Fahrenheit 451, 1984. or Slaughterhouse Five. If Ellison had his way Pratchett wouldn't be allowed to be called science fiction.

It's just something I'd never heard before; people complaining about the shortening of science fiction to sci-fi. My experience has only been that it's a common way to say the exact same thing.

Perhaps it was used in a derogatory manner in the past but no longer is?

Of course, I've heard people get into some heated arguments about labels of musical genre, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see the same thing in literature.

It's just something I'd never heard before; people complaining about the shortening of science fiction to sci-fi. My experience has only been that it's a common way to say the exact same thing.

Perhaps it was used in a derogatory manner in the past but no longer is?

Of course, I've heard people get into some heated arguments about labels of musical genre, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see the same thing in literature.

I don't recall it being derogatory, it was just that writers like Asimov had to fight hard for respect. He even used a pen name for one story so that his PhD board wouldn't hold the fact that he wrote in such a disreputable field against him.

Actually, you are full of shit.

It also has a larger percentage of Mormon writers than any other genre.

Yeah, and the Mormon writers are the ones who produce crap. Of course, the Book of Mormon is bad Science Fiction, when you get down to it. Hebrews with submarines and God lives on a planet called Kolob. And Romney would have been a good president. There's science fiction for you.

Forum List

Back