Endangered species.

Native Unity: Life And Death In The Arctic - What Caribou Mean To The Gwich'in - Part 2
Drilling supporters note that a smaller caribou grouping to the west, the Central Arctic herd, has flourished in recent decades despite the huge oil activity around Prudhoe Bay, at the northern end of their area. The herd increased from 6,000 animals in 1978 to 32,000. But scientists point out that the coastal plain is more than 100 miles wide in the Central herd area, far greater than the 10-to-20-mile width of the Arctic refuge plain, and thus the Central herd has been able to move to undisturbed calving areas south of Prudhoe Bay.

"The two situations are not comparable," said Douglas.
Studies have shown that caribou keep at least a 2.5-mile distance from oil rigs, roads and other infrastructure, even if drilling is suspended in the summer, as is normal elsewhere on the North Slope. If the entire 1002 Area is developed, calf survival will drop by 8% annually, thus causing a "possibly irreversible" decline in the herd, Douglas said.
Why the Republicans have fought so hard for the drilling plan despite the uncertain stakes is widely considered a mystery.

Gee whiz - usual Greenie BS!

Nature does a better job of selectivism than Man every will. If a species cannot adapt to its environment, it does off. That's the way things 've worked for millions of years.

Example - some, so-called endangered toad/frog/fish or whatever in Texas is causing major economic holdups in a down economy. Which is more important - something like a Snail Darter in one river or the million of acres of farmland lying fallow because government agencies don't want to hurt the little fish that plays no major role in the environment?"??? :(

Heard talk of the Repubs desire to exploit the Artic Refuge and it reminded me of the deniers disregard for anything not able to hire counsel.

News Photo Galleries & Slideshows - Yahoo! News

What does this have to do with ANWR?

ANWR is an area adjacent to an oil field that the deniers haven't got their hands on yet. Flora & fauna exist there & its a migration point as are many other points on the globe.

Show me where any oil exploration, drilling operation or pipeline in the last 20 years or so has had a negative impact on fauna.
A major concern when the Alaska pipeline was built, was its potential effect on caribou herds. It turns out that, if anything, the pipeline has been a positive influence, providing warmth and browse for migrating herds who actually pause to give birth near the pipeline.

caribou-alaska-pipeline.jpg

Heard talk of the Repubs desire to exploit the Artic Refuge and it reminded me of the deniers disregard for anything not able to hire counsel.

ANWR is an area adjacent to an oil field that the deniers haven't got their hands on yet. Flora & fauna exist there & its a migration point as are many other points on the globe.

You haven't a fucking clue about the realities of ANWR. You do seem to be capable of regurgitating bullshit fed to you by your globalist masters though.

They even made a movie about some liberals looking for a party, needing someone else to solve their problem. And then the "government" (as represented in the flick) helps them to become the butt-sucking progressive dream...
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I understand your concern, but I believe the benefits far outweigh those risks.

The benefit will be there forever. If we lose a species it is gone. Do we need the benefit so bad today that we are willing to take the risk. The other point is that there is a benefit in protecting our environment.

That area has been untouched by humans since before recorded time & they want to let co's like Halliburton in there :eusa_eh: :eusa_hand: :eusa_whistle:

arctic-refuge-01.jpg

Hmmm...looks like the human in the photo is touching it with his ass.

Show me where any oil exploration, drilling operation or pipeline in the last 20 years or so has had a negative impact on fauna.
A major concern when the Alaska pipeline was built, was its potential effect on caribou herds. It turns out that, if anything, the pipeline has been a positive influence, providing warmth and browse for migrating herds who actually pause to give birth near the pipeline.
not even 5-posts previous to yours carbonboi:
Native Unity: Life And Death In The Arctic - What Caribou Mean To The Gwich'in - Part 2
Drilling supporters note that a smaller caribou grouping to the west, the Central Arctic herd, has flourished in recent decades despite the huge oil activity around Prudhoe Bay, at the northern end of their area. The herd increased from 6,000 animals in 1978 to 32,000. But scientists point out that the coastal plain is more than 100 miles wide in the Central herd area, far greater than the 10-to-20-mile width of the Arctic refuge plain, and thus the Central herd has been able to move to undisturbed calving areas south of Prudhoe Bay.

Studies have shown that caribou keep at least a 2.5-mile distance from oil rigs, roads and other infrastructure, even if drilling is suspended in the summer, as is normal elsewhere on the North Slope. If the entire 1002 Area is developed, calf survival will drop by 8% annually, thus causing a "possibly irreversible" decline in the herd, Douglas said.
Why the Republicans have fought so hard for the drilling plan despite the uncertain stakes is widely considered a mystery.

ERNIE!!! word of friendly advice: if the thread is < 3 pages, read it before posting :eusa_hand:

Last edited:
not even 5-posts previous to yours carbonboi:

ERNIE!!! word of friendly advice: if the thread is < 3 pages, read it before posting :eusa_hand:

I read that post. Propaganda... I have read that the herds actually pause their migrations to eat and give birth. The fact that caribou herds have grown since the pipeline is hard to refute, but give it another try.

Oh! and look back at the photo I provided and tell me again about the studies that say the herds stay 2.5 miles fron infrastructure.

Last edited:

The benefit will be there forever. If we lose a species it is gone. Do we need the benefit so bad today that we are willing to take the risk. The other point is that there is a benefit in protecting our environment.

That area has been untouched by humans since before recorded time & they want to let co's like Halliburton in there :eusa_eh: :eusa_hand: :eusa_whistle:

arctic-refuge-01.jpg
If humans don't go there or use it what the fuck is it good for?

you ever been to Alaska dots?

arctic-refuge-01.jpg
If humans don't go there or use it what the fuck is it good for?

anwr.jpg

World's most endangered species | Photo Gallery - Yahoo! News
Tiger – Less than 3,200 remain in the wild, we have lost 97% of our wild tigers in just over a century. World Wildlife Fund has put together a top 10 list of endangered species to be on the look-out for in 2012.

What do Tigers have to do with the ANWR? The nearest Tiger to there is about 12,000 miles away.

Libturds have no regard for logic or facts.

yes. the pipelines, associated spills, and emissions wouldn't bode well for an area untouched for millions of years.

What species could we possibly lose by drilling on 2% of an empty wasteland?

Forum List

Back