End of Conservative Talk Radio? Network Will Drop Limbaugh & Hannity

It's last month's news and the radical left is still looking forward to it. It means that Hannity and Rush will only be on 450 radio stations instead of 500. The question is why would the left even care and why are they at war with the 1st Amendment?

It's last month's news and the radical left is still looking forward to it. It means that Hannity and Rush will only be on 450 radio stations instead of 500. The question is why would the left even care and why are they at war with the 1st Amendment?

I think the question is why are you obsessed with calling Cumulus Media "the radical left" and why are you at war with the idea of sanity?

Someone should start a counter---how many minutes of air time are filled with this exciting topic. lol--A fine drinking game--every time particular words are used -chug a shot.

I haven't listened in a while so I am not certain which phrases to choose--'radical left', 'silence me'---things like that.

Definitely '1st Amendment'...

Actually no.

Clear Channel has many more stations than Cumulus. Rush and Hannity will be on more stations signing with Clear Channel than staying with Cumulus.

Actually no.

Clear Channel has many more stations than Cumulus. Rush and Hannity will be on more stations signing with Clear Channel than staying with Cumulus.

Actually no. Not at all.

For all the times this story's been posted, some continue to wallow in ignorance. HAD you read it the first 47 times I posted on this, you'd know by now that's not how it works at all.

ClearChannel and Cumulus own hundreds of radio stations. Neither company programs the same thing on all of them. They're not networks; they're owners of multiple outlets, often several stations in one market. That's the whole issue with media monopoly and the Telecommunications Act of 1996 that made such behemoths possible.

And each one of those stations, whether owned by ClearChannel, Cumulus, or somebody else, programs their own format individually. In my part of the world there's a ClearChannel station running Limbag and Hannity and there's another ClearChannel station running the AirAmerica hosts. Meanwhile ClearChannel has other stations in the same area not running talk radio at all. Each one has its niche. All they have in common is that they're radio stations -- not programming.

Now, what we have here is Cumulus looking at its big picture and considering that the talk thing, or at least the Limblob thing, might not be working for its 40 stations that are now running it, and have indicated corporate will let those contracts expire. As others in the thread have pointed out, in those individual cases they'll prolly get picked up by some other station in that market -- it might be a ClearChannel-owned station or it might be some other owner altogether. But it will be done on a station-by-station basis, not as a bloc.

The concern for the Limblobs and Hannitys is that they'll have to move to less desirable stations (that's already been happening) and that, plus the fact that they're having to re-hustle more takers, drives the price of their product down. Demand goes down, so does the price.

Last edited:
Well well well there are two ways you can look at this. Cumulus dropping Rush or Rush dropping Cumulus.

Now Pogo and I are both from the world of radio. I consider his opinions worthy enough to be next to mine.

There's a big dust up coming. I'm not an insider on this. But for true there are going to be major shake ups.

Not just in talk radio. All radio. All media. There is always though two sides to every story.......

In Standoff With Cumulus, Rush Limbaugh Won't Blink First

In Standoff With Cumulus, Rush Limbaugh Won't Blink First - Forbes

Well well well there are two ways you can look at this. Cumulus dropping Rush or Rush dropping Cumulus.

Now Pogo and I are both from the world of radio. I consider his opinions worthy enough to be next to mine.

There's a big dust up coming. I'm not an insider on this. But for true there are going to be major shake ups.

Not just in talk radio. All radio. All media. There is always though two sides to every story.......

A "he said/she said" exchange? Yes. But keep in mind who started it (Cumulus) so it's hard to take Rash's "I'll take my ball and go home" seriously. But it's very easy to see Rash trying to save face. It's Rash playing the same psychomanipulative games he always employs.

Here's what I think: Lew Dickey (Cumulus) wanted a kind of controlled demolition.

Any radio program has promos to attract audience -- "tune in for Rush Limbaugh weekdays at 3 on KRAP". Now obviously you can't be telling the radio audience "hey come listen to Limbaugh, he's great" and then simultaneously tell the public "we're dropping Limbaugh at the end of the year, he's a loser". That's a mixed message.

So they've been complaining in a genteel way about losing ad revenue and leaving subtle indications they won't continue with new contracts while continuing to run the show. When you get to the point of termination you can say, "hey, we told you they've been costing us money, we had to do something". But make no mistake; Cumulus was the first party to make noises about this. Limblab's pouting has all been in reaction. He did the same thing after FlukeFest with the advertiser exodus when he pretended to 'fire' some advertiser (I forget who) that (he claimed) "wanted" to come back and he "said no" (which is absolute flaming bullshit).

Limblab has been trying to sell his audience (and he knows by now how gullible they are) on a role reversal of who needs who and who's in the driver's seat, but rest assured, he needs Cumulus powerhouses like WABC and WLS which are huge in their markets for not just the signal coverage but the prestige they offer. It makes the show worth more.

But the trend has not been kind; in the market where I grew up, WPHT (formerly WCAU), another prestige station on the same vein, dropped Limblab and Hannity a while back. Limblab had to go to an FM station in an undesirable spot at the top of the dial in Camden New Jersey, a station that has always been barely visible in the Philadelphia market. That's the kind of thing that chips away at the program's value and drives down the price of the program and the advertising. And that's what's going to happen when Cumulus' big stations go bye bye. Sure, someone will pick him up in that market. Some smaller, more obscure station. And in some places they will fail, and in others they won't even bother. The stock is plummeting.

So pay no attention to the hot air behind the curtain; the fact is, Limblob needs stations a lot more than stations need Limblob.

Last edited:

A "he said/she said" exchange? Yes. But keep in mind who started it (Cumulus) so it's hard to take Rash's "I'll take my ball and go home" seriously. But it's very easy to see Rash trying to save face. It's Rash playing the same psychomanipulative games he always employs.

Here's what I think: Lew Dickey (Cumulus) wanted a kind of controlled demolition.

Any radio program has promos to attract audience -- "tune in for Rush Limbaugh weekdays at 3 on KRAP". Now obviously you can't be telling the radio audience "hey come listen to Limbaugh, he's great" and then simultaneously tell the public "we're dropping Limbaugh at the end of the year, he's a loser". That's a mixed message.

So they've been complaining in a genteel way about losing ad revenue and leaving subtle indications they won't continue with new contracts while continuing to run the show. When you get to the point of termination you can say, "hey, we told you they've been costing us money, we had to do something". But make no mistake; Cumulus was the first party to make noises about this. Limblab's pouting has all been in reaction. He did the same thing after FlukeFest with the advertiser exodus when he pretended to 'fire' some advertiser (I forget who) that (he claimed) "wanted" to come back and he "said no" (which is absolute flaming bullshit).

Limblab has been trying to sell his audience (and he knows by now how gullible they are) on a role reversal of who needs who and who's in the driver's seat, but rest assured, he needs Cumulus powerhouses like WABC and WLS which are huge in their markets for not just the signal coverage but the prestige they offer. It makes the show worth more.

But the trend has not been kind; in the market where I grew up, WPHT (formerly WCAU), another prestige station on the same vein, dropped Limblab and Hannity a while back. Limblab had to go to an FM station in an undesirable spot at the top of the dial in Camden New Jersey, a station that has always been barely visible in the Philadelphia market. That's the kind of thing that chips away at the program's value and drives down the price of the program and the advertising. And that's what's going to happen when Cumulus' big stations go bye bye. Sure, someone will pick him up in that market. Some smaller, more obscure station. And in some places they will fail, and in others they won't even bother. The stock is plummeting.

So pay no attention to the hot air behind the curtain; the fact is, Limblob needs stations a lot more than stations need Limblob.

Oh we so have to talk WLS.

"We" don't, but "they" do.

It comes down to a question of whether when you're in Chicago you hear Limblob on WLS or do you hear it on some obscure 5kW daytimer that nobody knows. Which way that answer goes reflects directly on the image of the "product".

In other words, are you selling your product at Macy's, or are you selling it at Target and on your way to Dollar General?

"We" don't, but "they" do.

It comes down to a question of whether when you're in Chicago you hear Limblob on WLS or do you hear it on some obscure 5kW daytimer that nobody knows. Which way that answer goes reflects directly on the image of the "product".

In other words, are you selling your product at Macy's, or are you selling it at Target and on your way to Dollar General?

I'm radio big time as you can gather. I guess though you don't know this. I live in a place called Sundown Manitoba and every night I can pick up WLS on the switch up. I get Chicago out here in Manitoba. I can also pick up Andy Dean out of Oklahoma. And thats with an old Grundig baby.

Your old version of parameters on selling stations and products are long gone my friend. You are pulling a Herb Tarleck.

Cumulus Media, the second-largest broadcast company in the nation, is poised to drop Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity from its stations before the close of 2013, an industry source said.

The move would take the No. 1 and No. 2 talk show hosts off 40 channels in some of the nation’s biggest markets, Politico reported.

Read more: Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity may lose 40-channel Cumulus deal - Washington Times
Follow us: [MENTION=39892]Was[/MENTION]htimes on Twitter

One trade publication called it ‘the end of right-wing, conservative talk radio.’”

:)

You didn't get the memo, everybodys going to satellite...:eusa_angel:

SiriusXM Patriot - True Voices of Conservative Talk Radio - SiriusXM Radio

Actually 587 last time I looked.

Whatever, Cumulus owns the huge urban markets, who we know, don't tune in as rabidly as the older-folk, trailer park demographic

No we don’t know but then again, you don’t bother to substantiate anything that you claim…

Actually I can't fathom what either that post or the one before it mean, with the exception of the word "Grundig". That, I grok. :thup:

I had to Google Herb Tarleck, and TD I'm offended by your impression of my taste in clothes. I've been known to pull herb, but not a Herb Tarleck.
You should be getting WLS in Manitoba. Growing up in Philly I got WLS, WGN, WJJD, WMAQ and WCFL and WBBM. Prolly the same range as Manitoba if not more.

(Truth to tell, Herb's job is the only one in the business of radio that I haven't done) :D

Last edited:
Actually 587 last time I looked.

Whatever, Cumulus owns the huge urban markets, who we know, don't tune in as rabidly as the older-folk, trailer park demographic

No we don’t know but then again, you don’t bother to substantiate anything that you claim…

Then you should know - FOX News has the oldest median viewer age of all news networks - at 65 - and the lowest median income.

Major advertising money aims at the 29-54 age group in the middle class.

Get with it son ....

Last edited:

Then you should know - FOX News has the oldest median viewer age of all news networks - at 65 - and the lowest median income.

Major advertising money aims at the 29-54 age group in the middle class.

Get with it son ....

And I guess I'll repeat then:

Forum List

Back