Canadian "scholar of violent conflict" Thomas Homer-Dixon predicts Trump is re-elected in 2024 & US becomes a dictatorship and a threat to Canada

The opinion in the Canadian newspaper by Thomas Homer-Dixon, a political scientist, stating that Canada must prepare for America becoming an authoritarian state made me want to cry and rage simultaneously. This country has fallen unimaginably far. The world is watching.

excerpts:

We mustn’t dismiss these possibilities just because they seem ludicrous or too horrible to imagine. In 2014, the suggestion that Donald Trump would become president would also have struck nearly everyone as absurd. But today we live in a world where the absurd regularly becomes real and the horrible commonplace.

I’m a scholar of violent conflict. For more than 40 years, I’ve studied and published on the causes of war, social breakdown, revolution, ethnic violence and genocide, and for nearly two decades I led a centre on peace and conflict studies at the University of Toronto.

Today, as I watch the unfolding crisis in the United States, I see a political and social landscape flashing with warning signals.

I’m not surprised by what’s happening there – not at all. During my graduate work in the United States in the 1980s, I sometimes listened to Rush Limbaugh, the right-wing radio talk show host and later television personality. I remarked to friends at the time that, with each broadcast, it was if Mr. Limbaugh were wedging the sharp end of a chisel into a faint crack in the moral authority of U.S. political institutions, and then slamming the other end of that chisel with a hammer.

In the decades since, week after week, year after year, Mr. Limbaugh and his fellow travelers have hammered away – their blows’ power lately amplified through social media and outlets such as Fox News and Newsmax. The cracks have steadily widened, ramified, connected and propagated deeply into America’s once-esteemed institutions, profoundly compromising their structural integrity. The country is becoming increasingly ungovernable, and some experts believe it could descend into civil war

Two other material factors are key. The first is demographic: as immigration, aging, intermarriage and a decline in church-going have reduced the percentage of non-Hispanic white Christians in America, right-wing ideologues have inflamed fears that traditional U.S. culture is being erased and whites are being “replaced.” The second is pervasive elite selfishness: The wealthy and powerful in America are broadly unwilling to pay the taxes, invest in the public services, or create the avenues for vertical mobility that would lessen their country’s economic, educational, racial and geographic gaps. The more an under-resourced government can’t solve everyday problems, the more people give up on it, and the more they turn to their own resources and their narrow identity groups for safety.

The same morons, like this guy, who say Trump is going to be a dictator love the actual dictators around the world………in particular China…….a fascistic, genocidal, slave state………..

7 posts in and the leftards cry “Putin supporter”. Seems Trudeau is the true dictator wannabe. Funny you forget that half the world leaders refuse to even take Xiden’s calls anymore.
What world leaders would that “half” be?

The same morons, like this guy, who say Trump is going to be a dictator love the actual dictators around the world………in particular China…….a fascistic, genocidal, slave state………..
Project much? So far, the only ones cozying up to authoritarians seems to be Trump and his followers.

The opinion in the Canadian newspaper by Thomas Homer-Dixon, a political scientist, stating that Canada must prepare for America becoming an authoritarian state made me want to cry and rage simultaneously. This country has fallen unimaginably far. The world is watching.

excerpts:

We mustn’t dismiss these possibilities just because they seem ludicrous or too horrible to imagine. In 2014, the suggestion that Donald Trump would become president would also have struck nearly everyone as absurd. But today we live in a world where the absurd regularly becomes real and the horrible commonplace.

I’m a scholar of violent conflict. For more than 40 years, I’ve studied and published on the causes of war, social breakdown, revolution, ethnic violence and genocide, and for nearly two decades I led a centre on peace and conflict studies at the University of Toronto.

Today, as I watch the unfolding crisis in the United States, I see a political and social landscape flashing with warning signals.

I’m not surprised by what’s happening there – not at all. During my graduate work in the United States in the 1980s, I sometimes listened to Rush Limbaugh, the right-wing radio talk show host and later television personality. I remarked to friends at the time that, with each broadcast, it was if Mr. Limbaugh were wedging the sharp end of a chisel into a faint crack in the moral authority of U.S. political institutions, and then slamming the other end of that chisel with a hammer.

In the decades since, week after week, year after year, Mr. Limbaugh and his fellow travelers have hammered away – their blows’ power lately amplified through social media and outlets such as Fox News and Newsmax. The cracks have steadily widened, ramified, connected and propagated deeply into America’s once-esteemed institutions, profoundly compromising their structural integrity. The country is becoming increasingly ungovernable, and some experts believe it could descend into civil war

Two other material factors are key. The first is demographic: as immigration, aging, intermarriage and a decline in church-going have reduced the percentage of non-Hispanic white Christians in America, right-wing ideologues have inflamed fears that traditional U.S. culture is being erased and whites are being “replaced.” The second is pervasive elite selfishness: The wealthy and powerful in America are broadly unwilling to pay the taxes, invest in the public services, or create the avenues for vertical mobility that would lessen their country’s economic, educational, racial and geographic gaps. The more an under-resourced government can’t solve everyday problems, the more people give up on it, and the more they turn to their own resources and their narrow identity groups for safety.

What a moron.

Project much? So far, the only ones cozying up to authoritarians seems to be Trump and his followers.

Oh? Justine castreau has been more authoritarian than Trump ever was.

Canadian professor of mostly environmental issues and world peace issues. It would be interesting to see his views about the current crisis in Ukraine and the Biden administration but he wants to talk about Trump. WTF?

Cutting off your nose to spite your face, bub.

Under Trump we had lower energy prices, higher relative wages, cheaper food, No New Wars and an administration that wasn't assaulting our Civil Liberties.
I believe the Germans bragged those things about Hitler. The Nazi economy was really booming for a little while.

And I believe for a little while Russians were really happy with Putin. Things were really good for a couple years until....

You sell out cheap.

7 posts in and the leftards cry “Putin supporter”. Seems Trudeau is the true dictator wannabe. Funny you forget that half the world leaders refuse to even take Xiden’s calls anymore.
You're brainwashed and don't even realize it. You'll attack anyone except the real culprits. I'm starting to see a pattern here. Trump is a scoundrel, attack Trudeau. This is a right wing/corporate technique. When they do wrong, attack the other side. Make it about them. For example if I say corporations need to go Green you'll cry about Al Gore's 3 houses.

I believe the Germans bragged those things about Hitler. The Nazi economy was really booming for a little while.

And I believe for a little while Russians were really happy with Putin. Things were really good for a couple years until....

You sell out cheap.

Sell out? No wars, the middle class did better than the rich for the first time EVER, and you bleat about selling out?

You're stupid.

excerpts:

You wanted to laugh and rage simultaneously because you bought that nonsense. Silly you.

Sell out? No wars, the middle class did better than the rich for the first time EVER, and you bleat about selling out?

You're stupid.
You swallow that position and repeat it like it's gospel. You're the idiot. You remind me of people who loved Reagan. He was fucking my generation in the 80's but people in the 80's didn't care about 40 years from now. You're clueless on so many levels we should just stop the back and forths. I'd have to go back and wipe your brainwashed mind like a chalk board.

If all our allies and over half of America hate trump.....
"Hate" is the wrong word. The question is what to do with this threat for the survival of all mankind. For example: To drink disinfectants or to let him drink disinfectants. This man is unbelievable stupid.

Last edited:
"Hate" is the wrong word. The question is what to do with this threat for the survival of all mankind.
Hate the idea of him being POTUS again. It just can't happen.

And Mitch is not alone.

In fact, I think we all know this is true. But again, another example of how Republicans just don't care if Trump breaks laws. You're like pro Putin Russians apparently. What if Trump killed his rival not just ask Ukraine to make shit up about him? This is why Trump is jealous of Putin. He has more power than the American president has. Trump, and Republicans, wish he had more power too. But don't give that same power to Biden or Obama no.

This is my fear. Republicans know how to steal elections and act like they didn’t. 2000, 2004 and trump tried it in 20
Its comments like that that prove Progs and Saul Alinsky are intertwined. The dumb Prog broad Supervisor of elections in her county in Florida who approved of ballots that moved the candidate up one line cost Gore thousands and thousands of votes. the race was called by news outlets for W. with the panhandle still open. Thousands of people did not vote because of it. And in a close race, why the hell did Al Gore lose his home state in a Presidential election? He wins Tennessee and he is President. Florida means nothing. But the truth is, Progs were ballot harvesting then and made the race closer than it was.

Hate the idea of him being POTUS again. It just can't happen.

And Mitch is not alone.

In fact, I think we all know this is true. But again, another example of how Republicans just don't care if Trump breaks laws. You're like pro Putin Russians apparently. What if Trump killed his rival not just ask Ukraine to make shit up about him? This is why Trump is jealous of Putin. He has more power than the American president has. Trump, and Republicans, wish he had more power too. But don't give that same power to Biden or Obama no.

My problem is another one. If I am in the same room with Donad Trump and I have weapon - both will not happen as far as I am able to see, but who really knows - is it in this case my duty to eliminate this future tyrant forever and a day? I do not find the clear answer "no" to this question. Putin for example I would try to arrest in such a case.

Last edited:
Its comments like that that prove Progs and Saul Alinsky are intertwined. The dumb Prog broad Supervisor of elections in her county in Florida who approved of ballots that moved the candidate up one line cost Gore thousands and thousands of votes. the race was called by news outlets for W. with the panhandle still open. Thousands of people did not vote because of it. And in a close race, why the hell did Al Gore lose his home state in a Presidential election? He wins Tennessee and he is President. Florida means nothing. But the truth is, Progs were ballot harvesting then and made the race closer than it was.
Tons of shady shit happened that you are ignoring. And a lot of the things you claim happened to Trump, happened to Gore. Throwing out votes, ballot stuffing, hanging chads, hacked diebold voting machines, a riot republicans started to stop the vote and send it to the Supreme Court.

You stole the 2000 election liar. Then Ken Blackwell stole Ohio in 2004, before Kerry could ask for a recount. Fucking ignorant Republican. So fucking brainwashed. You see it when Fox tells you to see it, even though it's all a lie. But you didn't see it when they actually did steal an election.

Here's another odd thing that happened. I believe the madam butterfly lady was a Republican in the 90's. But then just before the 2000 election, she became a Democrat. And Jeb/Katherine Harris put her in charge of the election. That way they could say "it was a Democrat in charge"

Fuck you ya ignorant bastard. America is doomed because it has too many people like you.

Forum List

Back