Elitism: Romney would rank among richest presidents ever

Hmmm, imagine that... 50 times richer than poor ole Obama. Talk about being out of touch with the people. Talk about the rich getting richer and the poor, well you know. Talk about elitism.

Romney would rank among richest presidents ever - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (AP) — Just how rich is Mitt Romney? Add up the wealth of the last eight presidents, from Richard Nixon to Barack Obama. Then double that number. Now you're in Romney territory.

He would be among the richest presidents in American history if elected — probably in the top four.

He couldn't top George Washington who, with nearly 60,000 acres (24,000 hectares) and more than 300 slaves, is considered the big daddy of presidential wealth. After that, it gets complicated, depending on how you rate Thomas Jefferson's plantation, Herbert Hoover's millions from mining or John F. Kennedy's share of the vast family fortune, as well as the finer points of factors like inflation adjustment.

But it's safe to say the Roosevelts had nothing on Romney, and the Bushes are nowhere close.

The former Massachusetts governor has disclosed only the broad outlines of his wealth, putting it somewhere from $190 million to $250 million. That easily could make him 50 times richer than Obama, who falls in the still-impressive-to-most-of-us range of $2.2 million to $7.5 million.

Below JFK, John Kerry, and George Washington.

WTF is your point.

candidatecaresabout.png

I disagree with almost everything on that chart.

Looks to me like Mr 15% wanted to help himself above all.

Might look like that to you, doesn't make it true. He's wealthy. He made his own money, took his own risks and got rich. That used to be something we - as a country - respected. Helping your kids do better than you did used to be a good thing. Now, it's used as a weapon against them. I find that pathetic.

Looks to me like you're a sad loser who resents the success of others. Shame on you.

No one amasses that much fortune without the assisst of the gov't along the way. This discovery will be exposed hopefully by Obama. It's called loopholes, tax-breaks for the rich. It's called entitlements and welfare for the rich. Gov't hand-outs if you will and all at the expense of the tax-payers of course.

No one?

Bill Gates has more money than Romney, and the government has repeatedly gone after him for being a monopoly. How did they help him?

By the way, loopholes do not help you get money, they help you keep it after you get it.

And Romney wants to lift our poor out of poverty, and help our 'middle class' achieve wealth... how terrible of him.

Stop demonizing people who have more than you... it's pathetic.

His policies might do a better job lifting the poor out of poverty and helping the middle class then Obamas... I won't negate that.

It's hard for me to actually believe that he "wants" to do so though.

I have a hard time believing Romney, Gingrich, Obama, etc care ANYTHING about people... period.

Poor, rich, black, brown, or white. I just don't think some of these politicians really care about what's best for "people" but what's best for their campaign, that's why they make such great liars.

It's just not their personalities to "care". Even Clinton (Bill) gave off some illusion that he somewhat MAYBE cared about average people... even though I doubt it.

These politicians we have these days don't care at all about anyone, the closest we have to people who care about people and families and such are Santorum and Paul and YES there is a BIG difference between Santorum and Paul and the other two establishment nutjobs.

He gave more money to charity than Obama, I think that says more about his desire to help the poor than paying taxes does.

And Romney wants to lift our poor out of poverty, and help our 'middle class' achieve wealth... how terrible of him.

His policies might do a better job lifting the poor out of poverty and helping the middle class then Obamas... I won't negate that.

I have a hard time believing Romney, Gingrich, Obama, etc care ANYTHING about people... period.

Poor, rich, black, brown, or white. I just don't think some of these politicians really care about what's best for "people" but what's best for their campaign, that's why they make such great liars.

It's just not their personalities to "care". Even Clinton (Bill) gave off some illusion that he somewhat MAYBE cared about average people... even though I doubt it.

These politicians we have these days don't care at all about anyone, the closest we have to people who care about people and families and such are Santorum and Paul and YES there is a BIG difference between Santorum and Paul and the other two establishment nutjobs.

He gave more money to charity than Obama, I think that says more about his desire to help the poor than paying taxes does.

Um..........hate to tell you, but 2/3 of the charitable donations are actually tithes he's required to pay to the Mormon church.

Mormons are required to attend a Tithing Settlement with the Bishop each year. A member is questioned in a one-on-one interview with the Bishop to ensure the member is paying a full 10%. Those members who are not paying a full 10% loose their temple recommends and are prevented from entering the Temple.

Mormons who loose their temple recommends are in serious jeopardy of loosing their Celestial blessings. A Mormon who does not pay tithing cannot enter the temple. If a member cannot get into the temple, the member cannot learn the secret handshake, secret password, secret "new name" and special “sealings”. Without these, the member will be unable to pass Joseph Smith and the angels who guard the entrance to the Celestial Kingdom.

Mormons are commanded that tithing must come first before anything else. Utah has the highest rate of bankruptcies in the United States. Mormons often are told "I cannot pay my bills until I've paid my tithing." Mormons will even pay their tithing rather than give the money to a relative who is on the verge of eviction. Mormon published magazines (Ensign, New Era) constantly stress that tithing must always be paid.

Recently, Mormon Senator Orrin Hatch passed legislation that allowed members to pay a full tithe even while they were in bankruptcy court. (See S. 4044).

Mormons are told: "if a destitute family is faced with the decision of paying their tithing or eating, they should pay their tithing." (Lynn Robbins, General Conference, April 2005).

The Mormon Curtain - MORMON TITHING

So why would a man who has wealth enough (by his own words) to last him - and his - more than a lifetime. He has no need of the Presidency for personal gain. If he doesn't 'care' about people, why does he donate a substantial amount of his personal wealth to help others?

Do I think Romney is a perfect man? No. But I think he is a decent human being - and that's a whole lot more than most of our Presidents have been recently.

I disagree with almost everything on that chart.

You can disagree all you want, but that's what the current poll numbers are.

It did not look like a poll to me, it looked like a bar graph.

Still does, come to think of it.

Actually, it's a national poll taken the day after the President's SOTU. Apparently the poster didn't get the title in on it, because I saw it on the news when they were talking about Obama getting a bit of a bump on his address.

Um..........hate to tell you, but 2/3 of the charitable donations are actually tithes he's required to pay to the Mormon church.

Mormons are required to attend a Tithing Settlement with the Bishop each year. A member is questioned in a one-on-one interview with the Bishop to ensure the member is paying a full 10%. Those members who are not paying a full 10% loose their temple recommends and are prevented from entering the Temple.

Mormons who loose their temple recommends are in serious jeopardy of loosing their Celestial blessings. A Mormon who does not pay tithing cannot enter the temple. If a member cannot get into the temple, the member cannot learn the secret handshake, secret password, secret "new name" and special “sealings”. Without these, the member will be unable to pass Joseph Smith and the angels who guard the entrance to the Celestial Kingdom.

Mormons are commanded that tithing must come first before anything else. Utah has the highest rate of bankruptcies in the United States. Mormons often are told "I cannot pay my bills until I've paid my tithing." Mormons will even pay their tithing rather than give the money to a relative who is on the verge of eviction. Mormon published magazines (Ensign, New Era) constantly stress that tithing must always be paid.

Recently, Mormon Senator Orrin Hatch passed legislation that allowed members to pay a full tithe even while they were in bankruptcy court. (See S. 4044).

Mormons are told: "if a destitute family is faced with the decision of paying their tithing or eating, they should pay their tithing." (Lynn Robbins, General Conference, April 2005).

So? He still gave more money to charity than he paid in taxes, can you say the same about Obama? Aren't you one of the people that complain about people not following the teachings of Y'shua? Why should you be upset that Romney actually follows the teachings as he believes them and not be upset that Obama ignores them?

Last edited:
You can disagree all you want, but that's what the current poll numbers are.

It did not look like a poll to me, it looked like a bar graph.

Still does, come to think of it.

Actually, it's a national poll taken the day after the President's SOTU. Apparently the poster didn't get the title in on it, because I saw it on the news when they were talking about Obama getting a bit of a bump on his address.

Then Greenbeard should actually link to the poll, not post a bar graph.

By the way, the bar graph says it was taken before the SOTU, not after. I guess that makes you wrong.

Last edited:
Might look like that to you, doesn't make it true. He's wealthy. He made his own money, took his own risks and got rich. That used to be something we - as a country - respected. Helping your kids do better than you did used to be a good thing. Now, it's used as a weapon against them. I find that pathetic.

Looks to me like you're a sad loser who resents the success of others. Shame on you.

No one amasses that much fortune without the assisst of the gov't along the way. This discovery will be exposed hopefully by Obama. It's called loopholes, tax-breaks for the rich. It's called entitlements and welfare for the rich. Gov't hand-outs if you will and all at the expense of the tax-payers of course.

Drink less KoolAid, kid. Seriously, learn to think for yourself and stop relying on Obama to do it for ya. This whole 'class warfare' shit is getting old.

No, you people bringing up the "class-warfare card" shit is getting old? I was wondering who'd be the first and you win hands down. Congratulations... here's your sign. :cuckoo:

So? He still gave more money to charity than he paid in taxes, can you say the same about Obama? Aren't you one of the people that complain about people not following the teachings of Y'shua? Why should you be upset that Romney actually follows the teachings as he believes them and not be upset that Obama ignores them?

Dunno if I consider "charity" paying a REQUIRED tithe to your church.

That sounds more like a bill.

Just because you can't imagine someone making there own way without the government helping does not make it true. People like you cannot make it to the top without government help, that much has been proven. Other people...like romney did it on there own. Be careful what you wish for, one day you might actually get that nanny state, and you wont like it.

Bullshit!

Romney could not of made it to the top without gov't help such as loopholes, tax-breaks, gov't hand-outs, and write-offs.

Mitt's plan will increase my taxes, I'm not a millionaire.

Nope, I don't think the lower and middle class can AFFORD a Romney presidency.

:lol: Now that is interesting. I thought you were living off the government.... you having served the nation for 20 years.

Actually, I earned my retirement by serving 20 years in the military. When I signed the contract, part of that contract was that if I invested 20 years, I'd get a pension for the rest of my life.

Hey........isn't that what Mittens did, invest himself in something so that he didn't have to work anymore?

That must be quite a significant pension.... if you're taxes will increase under Romney. Sorry, GayBikerBoy, I think you're lyin'.

In other words, because he is a Republican he is always wrong, and Obama is always right because he is a Democrat.

Is it your business how much he gives and to whom? No. It is his. His money, his to give, spend or keep as he sees fit. Since when did this country become such an obsessive, hate filled cesspit? Is this that 'fundamental change'?

:lol: Now that is interesting. I thought you were living off the government.... you having served the nation for 20 years.

Actually, I earned my retirement by serving 20 years in the military. When I signed the contract, part of that contract was that if I invested 20 years, I'd get a pension for the rest of my life.

Hey........isn't that what Mittens did, invest himself in something so that he didn't have to work anymore?

That must be quite a significant pension.... if you're taxes will increase under Romney. Sorry, GayBikerBoy, I think you're lyin'.

According to Romney's plan, those who make less than 20 grand a year would see a 1.6 percent INCREASE.

According to Romney's plan, those who make less than 20 grand a year would see a 1.6 percent INCREASE.

You don't want to pay your fair share?

Forum List

Back