Elitism: Romney would rank among richest presidents ever

Yeah........sure.........living on a pension and I'm 47. How the fuck could anyone make enough money to qualify in my situation unless they won the lottery?

Silly me................I chose travel and defending this country against all enemies, foreign and domestic instead of going to college to make scads of money.

BTW.........post 9 on the beginning of this thread has the charts of how Romney's tax plan is going to actually reduce my income, while increasing it for people like him.

You're 47. You choose not to work. Lazy fucking ass.

Actually, I'm RETIRED at 47, and am able to live on my pension.

Jealous?

You choose not to work. That's fine. No, I'm not 'jealous' at all... I work... I like to work... I enjoy what I do, I'm apparently pretty good at it, and I earn considerably more than $20k per year. By the time I'm 40, I won't need to 'work'. And I'll still earn considerably more than $20k a year. That's my choice. It's not your business how I live, nor is it mine how you live... and it is not our business how wealthy people choose to live. I am not you. You are not me. Accept it.... and stop judging others by your own petty jealousy.

Hmmm, imagine that... 50 times richer than poor ole Obama. Talk about being out of touch with the people. Talk about the rich getting richer and the poor, well you know. Talk about elitism.

Romney would rank among richest presidents ever - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (AP) — Just how rich is Mitt Romney? Add up the wealth of the last eight presidents, from Richard Nixon to Barack Obama. Then double that number. Now you're in Romney territory.

He would be among the richest presidents in American history if elected — probably in the top four.

He couldn't top George Washington who, with nearly 60,000 acres (24,000 hectares) and more than 300 slaves, is considered the big daddy of presidential wealth. After that, it gets complicated, depending on how you rate Thomas Jefferson's plantation, Herbert Hoover's millions from mining or John F. Kennedy's share of the vast family fortune, as well as the finer points of factors like inflation adjustment.

But it's safe to say the Roosevelts had nothing on Romney, and the Bushes are nowhere close.

The former Massachusetts governor has disclosed only the broad outlines of his wealth, putting it somewhere from $190 million to $250 million. That easily could make him 50 times richer than Obama, who falls in the still-impressive-to-most-of-us range of $2.2 million to $7.5 million.

220px-John_F._Kerry.jpg

The 50 Richest Members of Congress (2009) : Roll Call Special Features Guide to Congress

You're 47. You choose not to work. Lazy fucking ass.

Jealous?

You choose not to work. That's fine. No, I'm not 'jealous' at all... I work... I like to work... I enjoy what I do, I'm apparently pretty good at it, and I earn considerably more than $20k per year. By the time I'm 40, I won't need to 'work'. And I'll still earn considerably more than $20k a year. That's my choice. It's not your business how I live, nor is it mine how you live... and it is not our business how wealthy people choose to live. I am not you. You are not me. Accept it.... and stop judging others by your own petty jealousy.

If I could find a job that would give me the same fulfillment that I had with the Navy, I'd consider it.

But until then? I'm going to pursue my hobbies, participate in bicycle racing and spend time talking with people about their views of the world.

Besides...........I've never earned more than 37,500/year in my life, nor have I ever lived at a level above that as I come from humble farmer types, with the exception of the 3 years that I spent in foster care, and that family was upper middle class.

But keep denigrating others for their choices, what else is a bitchy harpy shrew capable of?

Jealous?

If I could find a job that would give me the same fulfillment that I had with the Navy, I'd consider it.

But until then? I'm going to pursue my hobbies, participate in bicycle racing and spend time talking with people about their views of the world.

Besides...........I've never earned more than 37,500/year in my life, nor have I ever lived at a level above that as I come from humble farmer types, with the exception of the 3 years that I spent in foster care, and that family was upper middle class.

But keep denigrating others for their choices, what else is a bitchy harpy shrew capable of?

If you judge others for their prosperity, don't get all butthurt when they judge you for yours. That ain't rocket science.... it's just logic. My family comes from very humble beginnings... having fled starvation in Ireland. Thank God they did. I am so grateful for their sacrifice... hence I try to give back - I know how fortunate I am. But I am quite tired of people like you judging me because I have more than you. I am not responsible for your life and you are not responsible for mine. Need a hand up, I'll give it to you - just don't ask for a hand out. I don't do hand outs - because they solve nothing.

Hmmm, imagine that... 50 times richer than poor ole Obama. Talk about being out of touch with the people. Talk about the rich getting richer and the poor, well you know. Talk about elitism.

Romney would rank among richest presidents ever - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (AP) — Just how rich is Mitt Romney? Add up the wealth of the last eight presidents, from Richard Nixon to Barack Obama. Then double that number. Now you're in Romney territory.

He would be among the richest presidents in American history if elected — probably in the top four.

He couldn't top George Washington who, with nearly 60,000 acres (24,000 hectares) and more than 300 slaves, is considered the big daddy of presidential wealth. After that, it gets complicated, depending on how you rate Thomas Jefferson's plantation, Herbert Hoover's millions from mining or John F. Kennedy's share of the vast family fortune, as well as the finer points of factors like inflation adjustment.

But it's safe to say the Roosevelts had nothing on Romney, and the Bushes are nowhere close.

The former Massachusetts governor has disclosed only the broad outlines of his wealth, putting it somewhere from $190 million to $250 million. That easily could make him 50 times richer than Obama, who falls in the still-impressive-to-most-of-us range of $2.2 million to $7.5 million.

The word "elites" or "elitism" is probably the most loaded class warfare word in American political discourse.

If you judge others for their prosperity, don't get all butthurt when they judge you for yours. That ain't rocket science.... it's just logic. My family comes from very humble beginnings... having fled starvation in Ireland. Thank God they did. I am so grateful for their sacrifice... hence I try to give back - I know how fortunate I am. But I am quite tired of people like you judging me because I have more than you. I am not responsible for your life and you are not responsible for mine. Need a hand up, I'll give it to you - just don't ask for a hand out. I don't do hand outs - because they solve nothing.

Handout? From YOU? Figure the fucking odds sister, I already know what people like you respond with, as I've seen it many times, especially when I was stationed in Newport RI (summer home to the uber wealthy).

As far as "judging you"? Never happened, I was saying that Romney's tax plan would decrease my earnings by 1.6 percent and it would increase the earnings for the uber wealthy by 4.5 percent.

Unless.........of course.........you're trying to convince people that you are in that uber wealthy category by telling others who have less than you that because of their views on Romney's tax plan, somehow it's "judging you".

Hubris much?

Handout? From YOU? Figure the fucking odds sister, I already know what people like you respond with, as I've seen it many times, especially when I was stationed in Newport RI (summer home to the uber wealthy).

As far as "judging you"? Never happened, I was saying that Romney's tax plan would decrease my earnings by 1.6 percent and it would increase the earnings for the uber wealthy by 4.5 percent.

Unless.........of course.........you're trying to convince people that you are in that uber wealthy category by telling others who have less than you that because of their views on Romney's tax plan, somehow it's "judging you".

Hubris much?

You have no idea about me, Gay, none. Nadda. Zip. You judge me based on a pre-conceived idea of what you have decided I am. That is not reality. You take how one individual responds and blanket others with the same response. That is not logical.

Personally, no, I'm not 'uber wealthy'. I have no real desire to be 'uber wealthy'. But Romney tax plan makes sense. At least he understands the need to consider what the rest of the world is doing when setting things like Capital Gains.... which is a damned sight more than most of the left seem capable of.

Hubris much?

You have no idea about me, Gay, none. Nadda. Zip. You judge me based on a pre-conceived idea of what you have decided I am. That is not reality. You take how one individual responds and blanket others with the same response. That is not logical.

Personally, no, I'm not 'uber wealthy'. I have no real desire to be 'uber wealthy'. But Romney tax plan makes sense. At least he understands the need to consider what the rest of the world is doing when setting things like Capital Gains.... which is a damned sight more than most of the left seem capable of.

The only "judgement" I've ever passed on you is that you're a raging bitch who doesn't really seem to know what they're talking about, based on your reluctance to post links to claims that you have, while discounting others (yes, Mormons are required to tithe) without actually doing any research yourself.

And like I've said many times, if Romney pays taxes at an effective rate of roughly HALF mine, why should he and those like him get further tax cuts? Especially in light of the fact that this country has debt to pay.

Furthermore, he wants to spread it around on the the middle class and the poor, who can't really afford it. Our economy would be much better if the middle class and the poor had more money, becaue then they could BUY the products made by corporations, and then everyone would have money.

Trickle down economics never works. BTW, you can see a classic example of trickle down economics in the form of the water wars between the ranchers and the farmers. Those the furthest up the stream got the most water, while those towards the end got nothing.

Hubris much?

The only "judgement" I've ever passed on you is that you're a raging bitch who doesn't really seem to know what they're talking about, based on your reluctance to post links to claims that you have, while discounting others (yes, Mormons are required to tithe) without actually doing any research yourself.

And like I've said many times, if Romney pays taxes at an effective rate of roughly HALF mine, why should he and those like him get further tax cuts? Especially in light of the fact that this country has debt to pay.

Furthermore, he wants to spread it around on the the middle class and the poor, who can't really afford it. Our economy would be much better if the middle class and the poor had more money, becaue then they could BUY the products made by corporations, and then everyone would have money.

Trickle down economics never works. BTW, you can see a classic example of trickle down economics in the form of the water wars between the ranchers and the farmers. Those the furthest up the stream got the most water, while those towards the end got nothing.

You do not pay double the rate that Romney does, it's not even close. Let's review the facts.

You stated that you are living off of your military pension.

After 20 years you would get 50% of your base pay- 50% of $3,590.00 (that's the base pay of an E-6 with 20 years of service in 2012) = $17,950.00

After taking the standard deduction and assuming you are single, your total federal income tax is .......$803.00

$803.00... That is an effective rate of............................4.5%

If you are married- the tax is ZERO

Last edited:

Forum List

Back