Electoral College

The Electoral College has worked exactly as it was intended, and should since the Constitution mandated it. If you want to get rid of it, lobby your politicians to call a Constitutional Convention. The Constitution. Has been amended many tomes before, so it can happen again, For example we amended it to install Prohibition, then amended it again to repeal it, so it can be done.

However, be careful what you wish for, as others have said, no matter where you live, nor what you want NYC, and L.A. Metro areas will dictate to you and do what is good for them, not you. We will become one Collective morass, and your state will be meaningless. The only politicians that will matter will be in D.C. and good luck pressuring them. They are too far away, and too insulated to care about you.

again, LA and NYC constitute less than 10% of the population... and they don't vote in monolithic blocks. Any more than the people of Texas vote in a Monolithic block.

While I would PREFER to eliminate the EC through Constitutional Amendment, the interstate compact would accomplish the same thing.

The states can allocate their electors any way they see fit.. Maine and Nebraska do it by congressional district, while the other states are winner take all. But if the states decide, "Whoever wins the national popular vote gets our electors", that would work, too.

The Electoral College has worked exactly as it was intended, and should since the Constitution mandated it. If you want to get rid of it, lobby your politicians to call a Constitutional Convention. The Constitution. Has been amended many tomes before, so it can happen again, For example we amended it to install Prohibition, then amended it again to repeal it, so it can be done.

However, be careful what you wish for, as others have said, no matter where you live, nor what you want NYC, and L.A. Metro areas will dictate to you and do what is good for them, not you. We will become one Collective morass, and your state will be meaningless. The only politicians that will matter will be in D.C. and good luck pressuring them. They are too far away, and too insulated to care about you.

again, LA and NYC constitute less than 10% of the population... and they don't vote in monolithic blocks. Any more than the people of Texas vote in a Monolithic block.

While I would PREFER to eliminate the EC through Constitutional Amendment, the interstate compact would accomplish the same thing.

The states can allocate their electors any way they see fit.. Maine and Nebraska do it by congressional district, while the other states are winner take all. But if the states decide, "Whoever wins the national popular vote gets our electors", that would work, too.
Perhaps if the United States was ended and we formed three, four or five new nations. Of course there will be people who may not like the new nation formed they are in but will be given tie to emigrate to a nation they refer. an agreement on taxes with what was the former Federal Government would take a bit to pay off social contracts. And the militar would be split up equaly to make sure no one gets jealous of another as that any new nations formed start failing. Also oversight of any new nation combining with other nations as we do not want nuclear war for failure.

Perhaps if the United States was ended and we formed three, four or five new nations. Of course there will be people who may not like the new nation formed they are in but will be given tie to emigrate to a nation they refer. an agreement on taxes with what was the former Federal Government would take a bit to pay off social contracts. And the militar would be split up equaly to make sure no one gets jealous of another as that any new nations formed start failing. Also oversight of any new nation combining with other nations as we do not want nuclear war for failure.

Or you inbred rednecks can just enjoy letting the majority run the country for a change.

The amusing thing is that the Red States would be a third world country without the blue states to subsidize their industry and infrastructure. But they insist on outsized influence.

I have started a petition on change.org to the U.S. Senate and House to eliminate the Electoral College or alternatively to write legislation that all Electoral College votes be for the Presidential candidate that wins the popular vote. I would appreciate everyone signing the petition and letting others know about it.
This will benefit all parties by ensuring that the candidate the people vote for is elected.

Thank you.
lol why don’t you just respect diversity of the country,, we are not represented by 6 counties

Of course they would.

No they wouldn't. And for sure, there wouldn't be as many of them doing it.

I'm about fed up with the media here. Just give us the god damned news.

Of course they would. Hacks only care about having their biases confirmed. They like to pretend only the coverage from the other side is unfair and slanted.

The United STATES was intended to be fifty separate sovereign nations, essentially. Well, we didn't have fifty back then but you understand what I mean. We were supposed to be a loose collection of separate states, not a giant, centralized, COLLECTIVE. State's rights has eroded since the beginning, and now we aren't much different in concept at least from the USSR.

Our MAIN Government was our State, not the Feds. The concept being that closer representation is more easily accessed by THE PEOPLE. If we didn't like our state we could vote with our feet and go to a different one more aligned with our politics. That is why the EC exists. If it goes away we are the USSR.

That is such an ignorant statement. People in MAGA hats don’t want to put my people in ovens and Nuke Israel. You need to stop spreading your stupid propaganda. I will call you out and embarrass you every time you do.

Naw, they want to do those awful things to Mexicans, who are actually kind of decent. As opposed to the Zionists, who deserve everything they have coming to them.

No. They want legal immigration from Mexico. I am a Zionist. Why don’t you come and try to exterminate me. See how that goes for you.

The population of the US is 308 million.

The combined populations of NYC and LA, if they got every citizen to vote the same way, is less than 15 million.

Not sure how a popular vote lets two cities run everything.

But I think it's just you don't like them city people with their edumacation and their culture, is that it, Cleetus?

Better to let 10 backwater states decide the election.
It's not two cities, it's all the individuals in the US.

Are you thinking there are more democrats than republicans?

Come on, NY and LA and SF are all radical leftist cities ruled by radical leftist politicians.
So you don't think there are any conservatives there?

No, not many they have all moved. I know because I used to live in a liberal bastion. Everyone agrees with everyone else and FOX news, Rush, Hannity, etc. are all VERBOTEN to access. The smart folks move away if they can. The rest walk with their heads down and their MAGA hats in their pockets because these areas have TDSers who are completely intolerant.
So then you admit there are more liberals than conservatives.

I think there are more moderate voters and too many nutters that forget we are a Republic and with individual States that make up this union and that is why we have the Electoral College so bigger States can not bully smaller states...

It's not two cities, it's all the individuals in the US.

Are you thinking there are more democrats than republicans?

Come on, NY and LA and SF are all radical leftist cities ruled by radical leftist politicians.

No, not many they have all moved. I know because I used to live in a liberal bastion. Everyone agrees with everyone else and FOX news, Rush, Hannity, etc. are all VERBOTEN to access. The smart folks move away if they can. The rest walk with their heads down and their MAGA hats in their pockets because these areas have TDSers who are completely intolerant.

I think there are more moderate voters and too many nutters that forget we are a Republic and with individual States that make up this union and that is why we have the Electoral College so bigger States can not bully smaller states...
By making it possible, even likely, that smaller states bully the bigger ones? By allowing the will of the majority if the people to go by the wayside?

By making it possible, even likely, that smaller states bully the bigger ones? By allowing the will of the majority if the people to go by the wayside?

1. You were never suppose to vote for the President and that was later granted.

2. The voice of the people is the House and not the Oval Office.

3. Had Hillary not won California by the four million votes she won by she might have lost the Popular Vote in 2016.

( she only won the National Popular Vote by three million )

------

So as you write about the will of the people the reality is more States voted against Hillary Clinton while the bigger populated states voted for her.

So should California have the final say when more States said no?

In your opinion yes but if you truly understood the system you would know it keep States like California from deciding the election and leave it to where you must win the State vote to earn that Electoral College vote, well in most cases

We are a Republic and not a Democracy.

States with more population get many, many more Electoral Votes, so how are they "bullied"?

3. Had Hillary not won California by the four million votes she won by she might have lost the Popular Vote in 2016.

------

So as you write about the will of the people the reality is more States voted against Hillary Clinton while the bigger populated states voted for her.

In your opinion yes but if you truly understood the system you would know it keep States like California from deciding the election and leave it to where you must win the State vote to earn that Electoral College vote, well in most cases

None of those things address my point.

States with more population get many, many more Electoral Votes, so how are they "bullied"?
States with lower population have proportionately more.

------

It did!

You just do not like the fact I disagree with you!

So tell me did the Electoral College fail when it elected Clinton and Obama?

No, so the system works and the fact is California is the only reason why Hillary won the Popular vote and Electoral College showed that Trump won more States.

So Hillary was just very Popular in California.

States elect Presidents, not PEOPLE. Population matters in that it gives more EC votes to the larger states, and also gives more House of Representative members. The President represents the States, not The People. The House represents The People.

How so? Its based on the Census which is based on population and the allocation of House members. That's a lie. Here's the truth.

U. S. Electoral College: How are the Electoral College Votes Allocated

------

It did!

You just do not like the fact I disagree with you!

So tell me did the Electoral College fail when it elected Clinton and Obama?

No, so the system works and the fact is California is the only reason why Hillary won the Popular vote and Electoral College showed that Trump won more States.

So Hillary was just very Popular in California.
The electoral college is nothing more than affirmative action for red States at this point.

The Electoral Votes each states get are based on their population. It is a very fair, and wise system.

How so? Its based on the Census which is based on population and the allocation of House members. That's a lie. Here's the truth.

That link doesn't do anything but give you the numbers, here is some actual info.

Population vs. Electoral Votes - Fairvote

That link doesn't do anything but give you the numbers, here is some actual info.

What skewed, slanted analysis. Electoral votes are based on population which we determine from the CENSUS which is done every ten years. How else should we determine population? The number of EC votes a state has is DIRECTLY proportional to its population. What utter drivel. More lies.

What skewed, slanted analysis. Electoral votes are based on population which we determine from the CENSUS which is done every ten years. How else should we determine population? The number of EC votes a state has is DIRECTLY proportional to its population. What utter drivel. More lies.
Not lies, votes in low population states weigh more than in high population states.

The EC is affirmative action for rednecks

Forum List

Back