Election Reform

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pegwinn, May 4, 2004.

?

How should we elect a prez?

1. Just like now, Electoral College

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Popular Vote

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Earlier this week Gop_jeff posted this thread "Third party anyone" asking what political party we'd join if the deadly duo went belly up. I did a bit of reading on how we elect people. Basically I got led in two directions, the first was campaign financing. The second was the electoral college. This focuses on the presidential election at the federal level since we got one coming up reasonably soon.

I am going on the assumption that we all know how the electoral college works. 2 Electors + 1 Elector per member of the house. Arguments for and against the college abound. Personally I am against it. I am a one-body-one-vote person and winner take all.

By the time I am an old feeble man I would like to see a popular vote for almost everything. If the issue is of a normal nature (neither emergency nor especially urgent, with no security classification) we should vote on it. Between computer technology and secure networks, this shouldn't be a problem. Of course we should've had a functioning moon base by now as well............... Depends on how much commercial appeal there is.

Obviously E2K was a thorn that still festers. What is the best way to elect people or decide issues?

Jeff thread http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5839
    Federal Election Commission site on the electoral college (warning, long read): http://www.fec.gov/pages/ecmenu2.htm

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    How can anyone be against the Electorial College after it just saved this nation last election? If we didnt have the Electorial college there would have been recount after Recount in every state of the union. We would probably still be trying to figure out who the heck won cause the popular vote would have been way close (especially if all those military absentee ballots not counted in California were counted)

Seriously, the Electorial College just saved this nation. Can you imagine what would have happened on 911 if we were still fighting the election results then? Or worse if Al Gore were in office. Im shivering just thinking of the horendous state we would be in. There may not be a New York City if we had.

3. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    I don't like the EC because it isn't truly the will of the people and it fosters a two party only system. Under the EC, if you live in a low count state, your vote counts less. How about we record the results via computer. Like an ATM. You touchscreen your answers to questions and then it prints a receipt. Put your receipt in a box to be counted. It will tally the database count.

4. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Electoral college. In case the population ever gets convinced to vote away their freedoms we must be able to impose freedom by force.

5. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Electoral college was implemented so that everyone would be heard. It prevented politicians from focusing on the highly populated city areas and ignoring the scarcley populated midwest during the campaign trail. A candidate would have to goto every area of the country regardless of population to get their word out. I still feel its the best way to decide.

6. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    very funny, seriously, what do you think?:slap:

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    We are a represenative democracy with 50 states. I like the electoral college just fine.

8. pegwinn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Ok, but I don't understand it. I guess I don't get how we can like a system where the electors are under no legal obligation to follow your vote. I am not trying to start a flame war, but more insight would be appreciated.

9. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I think I understand where you are coming from Pegwinn. Let me ask you this, has there ever been an election when the electors did not follow the states vote and change the outcome of the election?

10. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    We have a federal government. That is to say, our highest level of government is basically a federation of the states. Individual states retain the right to cast their number of votes, based mostly on population, for whomever the majority of the people in that state choose to elect. You have the right to vote on how your state will vote.

That is actually incorrect. One's vote actually counts for more in the less populous states because any state, no matter how populous will receive 3 electors. So, in states like South Dakota fewer people are represented by a single electoral vote.

South Dakota--> 3 electoral votes btwn 761,063 people = 253,688 ppl per electoral vote

California--> 54 electoral votes btwn 35,116,033 people = 650,297 ppl per electoral vote

The electors are selected at the party conventions, and trusted party loyalists are chosen. There is little liklihood that they would choose to vote against their party and their candidate.