Einstein and the Soviet Spy

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Today, March 14,(1879) is the birthday of Albert Einstein....

The following affords an interesting insight into his life, and the time in which he lived.

"The revelation sounds too sensational even for a tabloid headline: Albert Einstein Had Love Affair With Russian Spy in World War II.

Yet nine letters have surfaced written in 1945 and 1946 by Einstein, the physicist who formulated the theory of relativity, to Margarita Konenkova. According to a book by a former Soviet spy master, Mrs. Konenkova was a Russian agent whose mission was to introduce Einstein to the Soviet vice consul in New York.

... a sensitive man who writes with humor, warmth and candor about his daily life and his undying love.

There is no indication in the letters that Einstein was aware that Mrs. Konenkova may have been a spy.

Mrs. Konenkova's name in ''Special Tasks,'' the memoirs of the Soviet spy master, Pavel Sudoplatov and his son, Anatoly, published in 1995.

The job of Mrs. Konenkova (code name Lukas) was ''to influence Oppenheimer and other prominent American scientists whom she frequently met in Princeton,'' the book says, referring to Robert Oppenheimer. Although the book does not say how Mrs. Konenkova was to have ''influenced'' the scientists, it notes that she was rewarded when she was recalled to Moscow in 1945. Mrs. Konenkova succeeded in introducing Einstein to the Soviet vice consul, Pavel Mikhailov, and Einstein refers to him in the letters.

''I have been speaking with top K.G.B. people,'' the family member said, ''and I have been hearing she was the No. 1 spy for the Manhattan Project.''

it seemed highly unlikely that Einstein may have helped the Russians in building their own bomb, given Einstein's lack of direct involvement in America's bomb project. "
Love Letters By Einstein At Auction - NYTimes.com

I agree....

Fuchs, Koval, Cohen, Greenglass and the Rosenberg's were the spies that really aided the USSR. Einstein as a theoretician, even if she stole all of his papers, would not have helped them as much, it was technical theoretical/engineering difficulties by that stage more so than straight theoretical knowledge that the Russians needed and got from the aforementioned.
Thx PC.

I worked with a guy one time who had met Einstein. He was working for RCA and was installing some equipment in the Princeton labs. I was impressed and asked, What was he like?

He replied..."The guy stank, I couldn't stand to be in the same room with him"

Yeah I've read this charge too,

Wouldn't surprise me one bit, either.

If you were running the KGB, wouldn't YOU get people as close to him as possible, too?

I agree....

Fuchs, Koval, Cohen, Greenglass and the Rosenberg's were the spies that really aided the USSR. Einstein as a theoretician, even if she stole all of his papers, would not have helped them as much, it was technical theoretical/engineering difficulties by that stage more so than straight theoretical knowledge that the Russians needed and got from the aforementioned.
Thx PC.

I've got to give the credit where it is due: my eleven year old is finishing Isaacson's 'Einstein,' and had to tell me how shocked she was about the affair!

To me, as you correctly point out, it is not only enlightening vis-a-vis the great Einstein as being entirel human, but as to the nature of the Soviet Union, unleashing this covert onslaught ...

compared to the United States, in so many ways it was a 'evil empire.'

Forum List

Back