Stunning realization came to me the other night....

Feb 28, 2009
... While watching an old episode of "Cops." It looked to be from 89-90... The cop was making a traffic stop on a thoroughfare.

Along both sides of the street I could see, lined all up, all of these tune-up shops. Andy Granatelli's Tune Up Masters, TuneCo, MagicTune, and so on, and it hit me.

These no longer exist! There used to be hundred thousands of these nationwide. They are all..... GONE.

Electronic fuel injection and computer controls on internal combustion engines, the death of the carburetor, put ALL of these out of business! How many jobs lost? What was the hit on the economy that was slowly absorbed, without our notice over several years?

What a wake-up call on how technology progresses, with results unnoticed.

... While watching an old episode of "Cops." It looked to be from 89-90... The cop was making a traffic stop on a thoroughfare.

Along both sides of the street I could see, lined all up, all of these tune-up shops. Andy Granatelli's Tune Up Masters, TuneCo, MagicTune, and so on, and it hit me.

These no longer exist! There used to be hundred thousands of these nationwide. They are all..... GONE.

Electronic fuel injection and computer controls on internal combustion engines, the death of the carburetor, put ALL of these out of business! How many jobs lost? What was the hit on the economy that was slowly absorbed, without our notice over several years?

I'm still driving a 72Bronco with a 351 W and Holley carbs!

I actually have to tune it in the Spring and Fall, when the humidity changes due to temperatures. It gets 8mpg, down hill, with a tail wind, on a good day, but it sounds awesome and it will LEAVE!

And when the EMP attack comes, I'll STILL be riding in style! :)

• Banned

I actually have to tune it in the Spring and Fall, when the humidity changes due to temperatures. It gets 8mpg, down hill, with a tail wind, on a good day, but it sounds awesome and it will LEAVE!

But.... You're pretty much on your own for tune-ups and carb work. NO tune-up shops exist anymore.

But.... You're pretty much on your own for tune-ups and carb work. NO tune-up shops exist anymore.

now we get to pass out the ass for vehicles with 5 million sensors and those infernal engine lights.
Gimme a carb anyday or two even. I miss my webers

• Banned

now we get to pass out the ass for vehicles with 5 million sensors and those infernal engine lights.
Gimme a carb anyday or two even. I miss my webers
I got no problem at all working on my own EFI equipped vehicles. It's simple stuff.

This is why I have choosen to get my computer science degree then my masters.

There is talk of where glass with go will automatically turn black to what ever time you set it for. there is projects that will have touch screen for doing projects. as of right now people make fabric for curtains, people set times for meeting, assist in flipping paper for projects.

you may think this will make jobs, but in reality it shuts down a ton more jobs.

this has already happened in my machine shop. used to there was 20 plus coworkers. now we have a ton of CNC machines. which means we could do the exact same production at a faster rate, and they cut it down to only 5 machinist.
you better get yourself into computers before everything else turns into it and your lost out of work.

Forum List

Back