Education and Separation of Church

Discussion in 'Education' started by midcan5, Feb 12, 2010.

1. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,300
    'How Christian Were the Founders?' By Russell Shorto

"I consider myself a Christian fundamentalist,” he announced almost as soon as we sat down. He also identifies himself as a young-earth creationist who believes that the earth was created in six days, as the book of Genesis has it, less than 10,000 years ago. He went on to explain how his Christian perspective both governs his work on the state board and guides him in the current effort to adjust American-history textbooks to highlight the role of Christianity. “Textbooks are mostly the product of the liberal establishment, and they’re written with the idea that our religion and our liberty are in conflict,” he said. “But Christianity has had a deep impact on our system. The men who wrote the Constitution were Christians who knew the Bible. Our idea of individual rights comes from the Bible. The Western development of the free-market system owes a lot to biblical principles." Don McLeroy - School Board member

What can one make of the above? The same people we criticize for extremism in other religions control the educational curriculum right here in the US.

How is a Christian fundamentalist different from an Islamic fundamentalist? And how can a modern diverse society function fairly and democratically when fundamentalists run things? Iran or Texas, what really is the difference? And I am not a fan of the Atheism movement - but may become one soon.

"This year’s social-studies review has drawn the most attention for the battles over what names should be included in the roll call of history. But while ignoring Kennedy and upgrading Gingrich are significant moves, something more fundamental is on the agenda. The one thing that underlies the entire program of the nation’s Christian conservative activists is, naturally, religion. But it isn’t merely the case that their Christian orientation shapes their opinions on gay marriage, abortion and government spending. More elementally, they hold that the United States was founded by devout Christians and according to biblical precepts. This belief provides what they consider not only a theological but also, ultimately, a judicial grounding to their positions on social questions. When they proclaim that the United States is a “Christian nation,” they are not referring to the percentage of the population that ticks a certain box in a survey or census but to the country’s roots and the intent of the founders."

Magazine Preview - How Christian Were the Founders? - NYTimes.com

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,976
    It's not about education, it's about indoctrination.

Due to the "Global economy", our country has to compete. We don't have a minute of time to waste in mysticism and the occult. We need to concentrate on the "real" world.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    According to the bible christians are to raise up their children in the ways of the lord so they will not depart from them.

The 16 years of programming did not stick on me.
    But it was in the same denomination of Christianity as Palin, Swaggart and Baker.

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Here's a novel idea.... how about you concentrate on what is important to you and allow others to do likewise. In other words, why not mind your own damned business about what other people do or do not believe.

What is it with lefties and their obsessive need to control the thoughts and beliefs of other people? I wonder if they realize just how pathetically insecure it looks to other people? I wonder also why they can't understand the principles on which this nation was founded.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. ItHappens

ItHappens BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    All we are talking about is Creation vs. Evolution. Evolution is nothing more than a theory by the Godless to disprove the existence of God. Which is never going to happen.
    You are right in that we need to concentrate on the "real" world.
    How or Who created the planet is not going to help the next generation compete with their counterparts around the world.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Exactly why we need to get the cult of Big Daddy Big Gubmint out of the edumacation system.

7. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    That is where I think you are wrong. Evolution does not prove their isn't a God, just proves we evolve which is probably God's plan.
    And there is a lot more proof backing up evolution, than there is proving God exists.

8. Bezukhov

Bezukhov Anarcho-Capitalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Exactly. That is the main reason to end government involvement with education; to avoid any attempt by one group to foist it's world view on others at gunpoint.

9. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    darwin was a religious man who was also a scientist.

fail

10. germanguy

germanguy VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Solar System/Earth/Europe/in the heart of it
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well, as we will rarely agree in matters of faith, we should keep our fingers from this subject.

I firmly believe, that there should be a common base of knowledge, methods and ideas in every society, all citizens should know about.
    Apart from that, you can do what you want. And read and believe what you want.

My Biology teacher taught us the Theory of Evolution, what the Bible said about it and taugth us about some other religions ideas about it. In the end, he told us, that we should think by ourselves, weigh the arguments and then decide what and who to believe.
    Interestingly of approx. thirty people in class, about two or three firmly believed in what is today called Creationism. Emphasis on believe.

Like that any education should be, emphasis on education not indoctrination.

Therefore I do not trust any person with a personal or religious agenda in public service.
    We all should learn instruments and methods and facts, not only one official version of what some people consider being THE TRUTH.

Perhaps the theory of evolution is wrong, still, it exsplains a lot of things.

Creationism does this not.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QrGAJJ2sSc]YouTube - eddie izzard vs. creationism[/ame]

regards
    ze germanguy