Educating Black Boys

Discussion in 'Education' started by alan1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    Educating Black Boys - Al Jazeera Correspondent - Al Jazeera English

The video is about 45 minutes long if you can catch it at the available times.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. squeeze berry

squeeze berry Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    the very first thng i can state is that the vid complains of "bias" constantly. yet this very vid is quite bias in its approach.

All problems are caused by either the school system that undevalues black boys or a criminal justice system that singles them out?

Yet Alicia Sawyer dropped out of school and the father left the family for whatever reason. The family is raising their young sibling b/c grandma is in drug re-hab.
    No one makes you leve your family, no one makes you steal, no one makes you drop out of school, no one forces you to not apply yourself in school.

Alicia Sawyer complains that Isaacc can not recognoze primary numbers ywet was promoted to the 2nd grade.

She states that he has ADHD and impulse control disorder. This screams of a special education IEP.

Behavior and learning dificulties? Chip off old block.Alicia quit school at 16 to be a druggie.

The narrator of the piece stated that he quit caring about school the tie he could not answer a question in class.

If that were the case i would have quit caring too, but didn't. what a lame excuse.

Biased news piece.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    Out of Wedlock births among Blacks wasn't ALWAYS 70%. Just after WWII it was quite low so what happened?

Black neighborhoods didn't used to be crime ridden ghettos, so what happened? Who made it that way and why did Blacks allow it to happen?

Blacks went from this:

Intelligent.

[​IMG]

To Full On Retard:

[​IMG]

"Obama Phone Girl" is another prime example.

4. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +71
    So what has stopped Black Americans from creating a Suggested Reading List for Black kids in the last 50 years? Why sit around and wait for White people to say what education is?

It is curious that he did not say what the question was that he did not know the answer to. Expecting to know the answer to every question is ridiculous.

I had a math teacher who used to scream HERESY and throw erasers at kids when they made a mistake.

Black Man's Burden by Mack Reynolds
    SF Gospel: Mack Reynolds on Africa, Islam, utopia, and progress
    Black Man's Burden - Mack Reynolds | Feedbooks

Border, Breed Nor Birth, by Mack Reynolds
    Chapter 1 [Mack Reynolds's Book: Border, Breed Nor Birth]

psik

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  5. dukect45

dukect45 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The US government the most racist entity against Blacks,Whites,Latinos,etc

6. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    i want to thank the folks that took time to watch the video before commenting on it.

I also want to point out that even the article/commentary was specifically about black male children, I purposefully put this thread in the education forum because most of what the commentator talked about was education.

Here is part of my take.....

The commentator himself grew up in the same schools he hi-lighted in the article, and he has turned out to be a pretty successful guy. He also talked to some other adult black men that grew up in the same environment and they also turned out to be pretty successful guys.
    The one underlying fact for those successful men was that they grew up in a family that valued education and yes, even 'forced' their children to be actively engaged in school and education.

In the years since he left that school district, the education system has increased special programs and spending for those black youth in an attempt to better serve the young black males that are failing in that school district.
    The dropout rate has increased.

Then, the school system has done an even greater (shall I say criminal) disservice to the children. They promote them to the next grade when they haven't achieved.
    As SqueezeBerry pointed out, "Isaacc can not recognoze primary numbers yet was promoted to the 2nd grade." The article frequently mentions that many of the boys are well below accepted standards for their grade level. I personally feel that the moment you promote a child to the next grade when he is not competent at his current grade level, you have just set them up for failure. That is almost criminal.

The article had the obligatory comments about how difficult it is for a single parent to make ends meet and still be actively engaged in their child's education. (Focus on single mothers, not one mention of single fathers.) I agree though, it is difficult, I know that because I raised two children as a single parent. It's not impossible. It's not a reason for your children failing, it's an excuse for the parent failing.

A few comments about the kid that was charged with weapon and drug possession. His mother put him in that situation. Obviously, she didn't care about his education and potential loss of his scholarship. The charges were dismissed, not because the judge gave him a break, but because he was innocent. That shows that the criminal justice system worked --- remember, one judge said it didn't and the other said it did, and both were black females.

I don't care how much money we invest in education, the school system can only do so much. If the parents are not engaged, if the parents are not holding the children to high standards, if the parents don't make the kids do school work, if the parents aren't part of the education system, then the kids will most likely fail. Couple that with the school system just passing the kids onto the next grade when they aren't ready and you get exactly what the commentator showed us. There is no amount of money or special programs that can fix that. That is not race dependent, it just is, regardless of skin color.

7. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,441
    one huge problem with many practical concerns is that if you hold back students until they are mentally ready for the next grade then you end up with some students that are physically 1,2,3 years older than most of their classmates. there is already a maturation issue at the middle school transition, holding back students really exacerbates it.

in decades past they streamed students so that the expectations were more realistic and attainable.

8. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,898
    At least they want an education. Don't hear blacks saying "Education is for snobs" like, well, you know......

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Granny says, "Dat's right - give dem lil' criminals a Be Good pill...
    :cool:
    ADHD treatment 'may reduce risk of criminal behaviour'
    21 November 2012 - Giving medication to people with ADHD in the criminal justice system may reduce crime

10. Samson

Samson Póg Mo Thóin Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    :clap2:

Agreed.

However, when we speak of "higher standards" we are really speaking in relative terms.

We trust the education system to know what the standard is, after all, a parent certainly has a limited POV: their "standard" is only their individual experience. An entire school system is supposed to have much more data to develop a standard: and MUCH of this standard is increasingly composed of individuals who have no business being in school past the 8th grade.