Educating Black Boys

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
the very first thng i can state is that the vid complains of "bias" constantly. yet this very vid is quite bias in its approach.

All problems are caused by either the school system that undevalues black boys or a criminal justice system that singles them out?

Yet Alicia Sawyer dropped out of school and the father left the family for whatever reason. The family is raising their young sibling b/c grandma is in drug re-hab.
No one makes you leve your family, no one makes you steal, no one makes you drop out of school, no one forces you to not apply yourself in school.

Alicia Sawyer complains that Isaacc can not recognoze primary numbers ywet was promoted to the 2nd grade.

She states that he has ADHD and impulse control disorder. This screams of a special education IEP.

Behavior and learning dificulties? Chip off old block.Alicia quit school at 16 to be a druggie.

The narrator of the piece stated that he quit caring about school the tie he could not answer a question in class.

If that were the case i would have quit caring too, but didn't. what a lame excuse.

Biased news piece.

Last edited:
Out of Wedlock births among Blacks wasn't ALWAYS 70%. Just after WWII it was quite low so what happened?

Black neighborhoods didn't used to be crime ridden ghettos, so what happened? Who made it that way and why did Blacks allow it to happen?

Blacks went from this:

Intelligent.

BlackJazzMan.jpg

To Full On Retard:

BlackRapper.jpg

"Obama Phone Girl" is another prime example.

So what has stopped Black Americans from creating a Suggested Reading List for Black kids in the last 50 years? Why sit around and wait for White people to say what education is?

It is curious that he did not say what the question was that he did not know the answer to. Expecting to know the answer to every question is ridiculous.

I had a math teacher who used to scream HERESY and throw erasers at kids when they made a mistake.

Black Man's Burden by Mack Reynolds
SF Gospel: Mack Reynolds on Africa, Islam, utopia, and progress
Black Man's Burden - Mack Reynolds | Feedbooks

Border, Breed Nor Birth, by Mack Reynolds
Chapter 1 [Mack Reynolds's Book: Border, Breed Nor Birth]

psik

Last edited:
Out of Wedlock births among Blacks wasn't ALWAYS 70%. Just after WWII it was quite low so what happened?

Black neighborhoods didn't used to be crime ridden ghettos, so what happened? Who made it that way and why did Blacks allow it to happen?

Blacks went from this:

Intelligent.

BlackJazzMan.jpg

To Full On Retard:

BlackRapper.jpg

"Obama Phone Girl" is another prime example.

The US government the most racist entity against Blacks,Whites,Latinos,etc

i want to thank the folks that took time to watch the video before commenting on it.

I also want to point out that even the article/commentary was specifically about black male children, I purposefully put this thread in the education forum because most of what the commentator talked about was education.

Here is part of my take.....

The commentator himself grew up in the same schools he hi-lighted in the article, and he has turned out to be a pretty successful guy. He also talked to some other adult black men that grew up in the same environment and they also turned out to be pretty successful guys.
The one underlying fact for those successful men was that they grew up in a family that valued education and yes, even 'forced' their children to be actively engaged in school and education.

In the years since he left that school district, the education system has increased special programs and spending for those black youth in an attempt to better serve the young black males that are failing in that school district.
The dropout rate has increased.

Then, the school system has done an even greater (shall I say criminal) disservice to the children. They promote them to the next grade when they haven't achieved.
As SqueezeBerry pointed out, "Isaacc can not recognoze primary numbers yet was promoted to the 2nd grade." The article frequently mentions that many of the boys are well below accepted standards for their grade level. I personally feel that the moment you promote a child to the next grade when he is not competent at his current grade level, you have just set them up for failure. That is almost criminal.

The article had the obligatory comments about how difficult it is for a single parent to make ends meet and still be actively engaged in their child's education. (Focus on single mothers, not one mention of single fathers.) I agree though, it is difficult, I know that because I raised two children as a single parent. It's not impossible. It's not a reason for your children failing, it's an excuse for the parent failing.

A few comments about the kid that was charged with weapon and drug possession. His mother put him in that situation. Obviously, she didn't care about his education and potential loss of his scholarship. The charges were dismissed, not because the judge gave him a break, but because he was innocent. That shows that the criminal justice system worked --- remember, one judge said it didn't and the other said it did, and both were black females.

I don't care how much money we invest in education, the school system can only do so much. If the parents are not engaged, if the parents are not holding the children to high standards, if the parents don't make the kids do school work, if the parents aren't part of the education system, then the kids will most likely fail. Couple that with the school system just passing the kids onto the next grade when they aren't ready and you get exactly what the commentator showed us. There is no amount of money or special programs that can fix that. That is not race dependent, it just is, regardless of skin color.

i want to thank the folks that took time to watch the video before commenting on it.

I also want to point out that even the article/commentary was specifically about black male children, I purposefully put this thread in the education forum because most of what the commentator talked about was education.

Here is part of my take.....

The commentator himself grew up in the same schools he hi-lighted in the article, and he has turned out to be a pretty successful guy. He also talked to some other adult black men that grew up in the same environment and they also turned out to be pretty successful guys.
The one underlying fact for those successful men was that they grew up in a family that valued education and yes, even 'forced' their children to be actively engaged in school and education.

In the years since he left that school district, the education system has increased special programs and spending for those black youth in an attempt to better serve the young black males that are failing in that school district.
The dropout rate has increased.

Then, the school system has done an even greater (shall I say criminal) disservice to the children. They promote them to the next grade when they haven't achieved.
As SqueezeBerry pointed out, "Isaacc can not recognoze primary numbers yet was promoted to the 2nd grade." The article frequently mentions that many of the boys are well below accepted standards for their grade level. I personally feel that the moment you promote a child to the next grade when he is not competent at his current grade level, you have just set them up for failure. That is almost criminal.

The article had the obligatory comments about how difficult it is for a single parent to make ends meet and still be actively engaged in their child's education. (Focus on single mothers, not one mention of single fathers.) I agree though, it is difficult, I know that because I raised two children as a single parent. It's not impossible. It's not a reason for your children failing, it's an excuse for the parent failing.

A few comments about the kid that was charged with weapon and drug possession. His mother put him in that situation. Obviously, she didn't care about his education and potential loss of his scholarship. The charges were dismissed, not because the judge gave him a break, but because he was innocent. That shows that the criminal justice system worked --- remember, one judge said it didn't and the other said it did, and both were black females.

I don't care how much money we invest in education, the school system can only do so much. If the parents are not engaged, if the parents are not holding the children to high standards, if the parents don't make the kids do school work, if the parents aren't part of the education system, then the kids will most likely fail. Couple that with the school system just passing the kids onto the next grade when they aren't ready and you get exactly what the commentator showed us. There is no amount of money or special programs that can fix that. That is not race dependent, it just is, regardless of skin color.

one huge problem with many practical concerns is that if you hold back students until they are mentally ready for the next grade then you end up with some students that are physically 1,2,3 years older than most of their classmates. there is already a maturation issue at the middle school transition, holding back students really exacerbates it.

in decades past they streamed students so that the expectations were more realistic and attainable.

At least they want an education. Don't hear blacks saying "Education is for snobs" like, well, you know......

Granny says, "Dat's right - give dem lil' criminals a Be Good pill...
:cool:
ADHD treatment 'may reduce risk of criminal behaviour'
21 November 2012 - Giving medication to people with ADHD in the criminal justice system may reduce crime
People with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder who are involved in crime are less likely to reoffend when on treatment than not, a Swedish study shows. Earlier studies suggest people with ADHD are more likely to commit offences than the general population. Providing better access to medication may reduce crime and save money, experts and support groups say. Researchers say the benefits of the drugs must be weighed against harms.

In the UK 3% of children have a diagnosis of ADHD, with half of them continuing to have the condition in adult life. People with the disorder have to deal with problems with concentration, hyperactivity and impulsiveness. Estimates suggest between 7-40% of people in the criminal justice system may have ADHD and other similar disorders, though in many cases the condition is not formally recognised. Researchers from the Karolinska Institute looked at data from over 25,000 people with ADHD in Sweden.

Less impulsiveness

They found people with ADHD were more likely to commit crime (37% of men and 15% of women) than adults without the condition (9% of men and 2% women). The study published in the New England Journal of Medicine found when people took their medication they were 32-41% less likely to be convicted of a crime than when they were off medication for a period of six months or more.

Dr Seena Fazel, an author of the study and from Oxford University, says medication may reduce impulsive choices and may enable people to better organise their lives - allowing them to stay in employment and maintain relationships. Co-author Prof Paul Lichtenstein says: "It is said that roughly 30 to 40% of long-serving criminals have ADHD. If their chances of recidivism can be reduced by 30%, it would clearly effect the total crime numbers in many societies."

'Personal responsibility'

:clap2:

Agreed.

However, when we speak of "higher standards" we are really speaking in relative terms.

We trust the education system to know what the standard is, after all, a parent certainly has a limited POV: their "standard" is only their individual experience. An entire school system is supposed to have much more data to develop a standard: and MUCH of this standard is increasingly composed of individuals who have no business being in school past the 8th grade.

I am a big proponent of personal (and especially parental) responsibility, but that does not eliminate the fact that millions of children are born into hopelessly dysfunctional circumstances from which only a few are able to escape. The idea that schools can ameliorate these circumstances with 30 hours per week of instruction is preposterous. The only chance for a majority of these kids would be in a heavily supervised boarding school environment. This would be terribly expensive, but I wonder if anyone has tried it?

"Higher standards" in education require both parent and teacher participation. And personal responsibility-- on parents, teachers and kids.

People can say education is the key to success, but until parents and teachers uphold education standards, education is worthless for kids.

"Higher standards" in education require both parent and teacher participation. And personal responsibility-- on parents, teachers and kids.

People can say education is the key to success, but until parents and teachers uphold education standards, education is worthless for kids.

Republicans plan to "educate teachers" is to "arm them".

Go piss someplace else.

Again with the "standard?".......let me elighten you: PARENTS HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT "STANDARD" MEANS.

Obviously, teachers, parents, and students are responsible, but TEACHERS are responsible for setting the STANDARD.

I'm not certain that the teachers can, in reality, set the standards.

Our school disstrict went to the 10 point grading system a few years ago because the parents in the district were complaining that their kids had an unfair competitive disadvantage when compared to other school districts. Competition for college entrance, that is.

One of my work colleagues teaches AP English. One of the parents demanded a meeting to explain why her child got an unfair grade.
The parent believed that the kid should have gotten an A+ and not an A on an essay assignment It is not unusual for parents to cause a stink over grades.

One of the kids I had on my special ed case load years ago was diagnosed with ADHD after years of the parents trying to get him diagnosed. The mom admitted that the motive was to get him extra help in class and extra time on the SAT.

A couple years later this same mom gleefully informed me that her son was finally diagnosed with aspergers. This kid did not have AS he was just a fucking jerk same as the mom. And is having a child diagnosed with AS anything to celebrate?

One of the high schools in a neighboring school district is famous for diagnosing students with ADD. Half the student population has an IEP. Parents want extra time for little Johnny's SAT test.

With such parental pressure is it any wonder standards are lowered or at least watered down?

Oh, and our princpal informed us that if a parent and teacher had a disagreement on any issue the school board member would back the parent 90% or more of the time.

The message: Just give in to the parent, you can't win.

Last edited:

It's a good start.

Great example of liberal deflection of responsibility: It's always about someone else.

Great example of liberal deflection of responsibility: It's always about someone else.

How have Republicans helped teachers in the last 20 years? Destroyed their unions. Trashed their benefits? Called them names? And now they want to "arm them". I wouldn't arm people I spent 20 years destroying who watch my kids. Seems stupid.

Forum List

Back