Economy on the Mend?

It implied that rightwingnuts generally want the country to fail...otherwise, you would've written "people who want the country to fail."

nah... the leftwingnuts want other things... but not economic failure. ;o)

jill, both "nuts" from the respective sides want the country to fail at the optimal time for their agenda, so that they can supposedly achieve said agenda.

After DECADES, at the very least, isn't that pretty much certain?

Last edited:
Unemployment is always the last of the indicators to improve....

but at least the economy's not in freefall anymore....

when we came out of daddy bush's recession, it took a while for jobs to follow, too....

where were you on the economy when it was being run into the ground?

unlike the "i want the country to fail" crew, i'm just glad to see it starting to turn around.

The economy bottomed out some time ago, back in the Spring. Railcar loadings and trucking ton-miles are the best indicators of the true state of the economy, with Consumer Confidence being the best short indicator of what's to come. All are better over the past 3 months.

Have to dive deeper to see just what it is the rails are hauling....Box Cars. Not industrial product, not autos. We're hauling more mostly stimulus based building materials. Nothing substantive, yet.

There is some recovery out there, most of it artificial in nature. Car sales, for instance saw a big spike with Cash for Clunkers, but is right back in the tank without. REAL recovery has to be NON-stimulus based, for there to be sustainable, real recovery, and not something artificial. Remove the artificial stimulus and it has to stand on its own feet. So far there is NOTHING to indicate this economy is able to do so.

But at least it has bottomed out.....and won;'t be getting any worse....but many do worry about a "double dip" in mid-late 2010 if high inflation hits....which stimulus WILL create, its a matter of how much....

Just imagine if McCain were President. With unemployment nearing 10 percent and the stock market going up you would be calling for his head.

"McCain only cares about Corporate America and wars in the the Middle East while ignoring the plight of Americas poor!".

I was actually trying to be non-partisan about this thread because it's a subject that I think is too important to be like that with...

but since you asked...

if McCain were president (perish the thought)....I don't believe he'd be doing the things needed to make the economy better. I think he would be talking about the same ole same ole that got us here.

Now...if McCain had picked Romney instead of trying to suck up to the right with Sarah..... might have been a whole other story.

So for me it's about "how do we fix Bush's mess?"

And McCain admitted he didn't "know much about economics"....and the people he surrounded himself with were the same people who got us here.

Presidents aren;t supposed to have to know about economics or anything domestic. That's Congress' job. The Presidency is a foreign policy office....all his REAL powers are in the foreign policy realm.

Forum List

Back