Economy on the Mend?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by jillian, Aug 29, 2009.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    The Conference Board Leading Economic Index™ (LEI) for the U.S. Improves Again

The rightwingnuts who want the country to fail must be so upset....

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
    Wishing the economy was better is not really making it better. Unemployment is still happening, income is stagnate and Housing is still being sold to people that can not afford to pay for it long term. Last I heard Building business is on the verge of collapse, as in none home construction. Banks are still in trouble as well.

Go ahead tell us how when hundreds of thousands lose their job each month unemployment goes down.

3. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Unemployment is always the last of the indicators to improve....

but at least the economy's not in freefall anymore....

when we came out of daddy bush's recession, it took a while for jobs to follow, too....

where were you on the economy when it was being run into the ground?

unlike the "i want the country to fail" crew, i'm just glad to see it starting to turn around.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  4. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,002
    Yes, the economy is stabilizing and getting better. We will probably have growth this quarter and for the next few quarters. However, the economy is likely to be weak for some time, even if the initial bounce is stronger than expected, and we may roll back into recession next year or in 2011.

[​IMG]

5. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Thanks for that. I was hoping you'd comment on this since you're my resident economic expert....

I know we certainly have a long way to go. But it seems, to me at least, that the steps we've taken stopped the bleeding.

What else, if anything, do you think should be done to bolster the fledgling recovery?

6. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,276
    If the Federal Reserve doesn't get it right on their exit strategy for all the newly created money that was used to bail everyone out, there will be no such thing as recovery.

You don't have to be an economic expert to be worried about this:

[​IMG]

7. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199

Toro, we are not in a Recession. This is a Depression. We can lie all we want and create false indications of economic recovery with boosted Car sales and First Time Homes sale credits, but the reality is that more and more people are losing their jobs as stores are closing left and right. Plywood in the windows is a frightening sign, but there are lots of windows with plywood in them.

I survey the Frisco Bay area on a weekly basis to get a feel for how bad it is. The number of people I have seen sleeping in cardboard boxes (near the streets and alleys of the downtown city areas (where the rescue missions are located and free meals can be had if you line up early enough) has increased ten fold since Obama became president. The number of autos with expired registrations is rapidly increasing. My guess is that the same percentage of people do not have auto insurance now-a-days. Cars with people sleeping in them on the residential streets has increased by a factor of five in the past three/four months. As more and more people fall off of the back end of the Unemployment Insurance benefits programs, that number will skyrocket. In a cardboard box you can get wet when it rains. In your car you can still stay dry.

My home is in San Diego, and this winter I expect to see thousands of homeless who will migrate south for the winter. I wonder if San Diego is ready for the onslaught?

I will be in the Oakland area for the next seven weeks. Recent observations about Oakland. I have been up here several times in my life. Now I am doing research on a book about the South Pacific. Oakland is cutting back on its police force. At night I used to hear gunfire almost every hour of the night. Then I would hear the police sirens as the cars converged on the area of the loud report of the weapon(s). When front running governor candidate Jerry Brown (Formerly Governor Moonbeam - Who is a lifetime career politician like my useless representative in Congress, Brian Bilbray, who has also held over a half dozen different government positions in his life) was Mayor of Oakland, the city put in an "expensive direction finding triangulation gunfire report finding and ranging system."

I guess that is what you would call it. (I just made that name up, but it is apt.) At any rate when the guns are fired, the dispatcher can give the police an address to run to in their sleek police cruisers so they can investigate. Many times, some teenager or old man is found bleeding in the street, or gang members are congregating in front of some gang member's house and they tell the police that they "heard nothing" and "saw nothing" and that will be that. The police can not stay there and write a detailed report if nobody will cooperate. Since the funds for this program have been cut, I am not awakened by the screaming police sirens at night as much as I used to be. The gunfire I can sleep through now, so with the stilled police sirens, I am getting more sleep at night. Since I am almost 62, that is a good thing. You just have to convince yourself that the gunfire is popcorn popping.

8. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,002
    Neubarth

I see no homeless people where I live. In fact, I have started to see fast food places advertise for people again.

9. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Toro, not all areas are equally impacted by this Depression. In some parts of the Midwest where the economy is largely land based, there are no indications of any distress at all. Corn prices are up and all is right with the world.

In California there is a new Dust Bowl in large parts of the rich Central Valley. Unemployment in parts of California is over 30%. In Oakland, I know it has to be over 25% at least. If you are in a "safe" area, you will still need to prepare for what you are going to do when the bands of vagabonds start drifting into your town. It is coming.

10. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,220
    The economic indicators are up, the climb for reducing unemployment is going to take awhile, because of what the conservative Pubs did under Bush. That is what the Dems will preach, and what the voters will reach.

My GOP will not get healthy until we destroy the rotten far right wing of it. Uproot it, pile on the political bonfire, and torch it.