Economics 101

The Porkulus included tax REBATES. These are vastly different than tax cuts, No one had their rate lowered, they we simply given a one-time rebate.
You can always tell a mindless DittoTard.

In addition to the rebates, the STIMULUS Bill included tax cuts for BUSINESS as well as individuals.

Have you noticed that conservatives only have blame, always for dems. They never have solutions. Just blame. And that the blame is in the form of conservative talking points. And that they NEVER take responsibility. Ever. The Great Republican Recession, which was saved from turning into a depression, was never the fault of repubs in their minds. Sad. Proves they are fully capable of believing what they want to believe, and putty in the hands of the conservative bosses.
I am still looking for the bills put forward by republicans to help anything except the wealthy.

The Great Republican Recession, which was saved from turning into a depression

What did Obama due to "stop the depression" between January 20, 2009 and June 2009, when the recession ended?

It must have been something huge......because we were so close to another Great Depression.

In addition to the rebates, the STIMULUS Bill included tax cuts for BUSINESS as well as individuals. Much of the $275 billion in tax cuts would go to middle-income families in the form of $1,000 tax cuts ($500 for individuals). An array of business and other tax cuts would make up the remainder.

In "addition," huh, edtheliar?

{
Tax incentives for individuals
Total: $237 billion

• $116 billion: New payroll tax credit of $400 per worker and $800 per couple in 2009 and 2010. Phaseout begins at $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for joint filers.[25]
  • $70 billion: Alternative minimum tax: a one-year increase in AMT floor to $70,950 for joint filers for 2009.[25]
  • $15 billion: Expansion of child tax credit: A $1,000 credit to more families (even those that do not make enough money to pay income taxes).
  • $14 billion: Expanded college credit to provide a $2,500 expanded tax credit for college tuition and related expenses for 2009 and 2010. The credit is phased out for couples making more than $160,000.
  • $6.6 billion: Homebuyer credit: $8,000 refundable credit for all homes bought between January 1, 2009, and December 1, 2009, and repayment provision repealed for homes purchased in 2009 and held more than three years. This only applies to first-time homebuyers.[38]
  • $4.7 billion: Excluding from taxation the first $2,400 a person receives in unemployment compensation benefits in 2009.
  • $4.7 billion: Expanded earned income tax credit to increase the earned income tax credit — which provides money to low income workers – for families with at least three children.
  • $4.3 billion: Home energy credit to provide an expanded credit to homeowners who make their homes more energy-efficient in 2009 and 2010. Homeowners could recoup 30 percent of the cost up to $1,500 of numerous projects, such as installing energy-efficient windows, doors, furnaces and air conditioners.
  • $1.7 billion: for deduction of sales tax from car purchases, not interest payments phased out for incomes above $250,000.
Tax incentives for companies
Total: $51 billion

• $15 billion: Allowing companies to use current losses to offset profits made in the previous five years, instead of two, making them eligible for tax refunds.
  • $13 billion: to extend tax credits for renewable energy production (until 2014).
  • $11 billion: Government contractors: Repeal a law that takes effect in 2012, requiring government agencies to withhold three percent of payments to contractors to help ensure they pay their tax bills. Repealing the law would cost $11 billion over 10 years, in part because the government could not earn interest by holding the money throughout the year.
  • $7 billion: Repeal bank credit: Repeal a Treasury provision that allowed firms that buy money-losing banks to use more of the losses as tax credits to offset the profits of the merged banks for tax purposes. The change would increase taxes on the merged banks by $7 billion over 10 years.
  • $5 billion: Bonus depreciation, which extends a provision allowing businesses buying equipment such as computers to speed up its depreciation through 2009.}

Oops, looks like you're lying again.

[

Notice how the Right lies, I said the Bush tax cuts were "TEMPORARY" which they were, they eventually expired after being renewed again TEMPORARILY. So the worthless lying scum Right change my words to "a one time thing."

Life is temporary, edtheliar. The Bush tax cuts were not a one time event.

Even you can grasp the distinction.

Have you noticed that conservatives only have blame, always for dems. They never have solutions. Just blame. And that the blame is in the form of conservative talking points. And that they NEVER take responsibility. Ever. The Great Republican Recession, which was saved from turning into a depression, was never the fault of repubs in their minds. Sad. Proves they are fully capable of believing what they want to believe, and putty in the hands of the conservative bosses.
I am still looking for the bills put forward by republicans to help anything except the wealthy.

Yes, you are a hack. But you're stupid. You force reality into your partisan world view.

Find anything positive I have written about Dubya.

I'll wait.

The debt is $8.6 trillion higher than the day he took office.
How much more deficit spending does he need to stimulate the economy?
The GOP National Debt was 12 trillion at the end of the last Bush fiscal year. Then you add the 2 trillion in interest on the GOP National Debt, and then you add the continuing expenses of Bush's wars including the continuing medical expenses, and Bush's unfunded increase in SS and Medicare, and all but about 3 trillion of the current GOP National Debt belongs to GOP presidents.

[

Notice how the Right lies, I said the Bush tax cuts were "TEMPORARY" which they were, they eventually expired after being renewed again TEMPORARILY. So the worthless lying scum Right change my words to "a one time thing."

Notice that when the worthless lying scum Right get caught lying they just continue to lie some more.
Thank you.

The GOP National Debt was 12 trillion at the end of the last Bush fiscal year. Then you add the 2 trillion in interest on the GOP National Debt, and then you add the continuing expenses of Bush's wars including the continuing medical expenses, and Bush's unfunded increase in SS and Medicare, and all but about 3 trillion of the current GOP National Debt belongs to GOP presidents.

So that's why we have the weakest recovery ever, the smartest president ever had Republican predecessors.

I guess if the debt was $12 trillion higher than the day he took office, everything would be groovy.

Obama DID cut taxes, TWICE, and you just admitted that GDP "languished."

Obama DID cut taxes, TWICE,

Tax rates are higher than when he took office.
So, Todd shows how to lie without actually saying anything that is technically untrue. Like Obama raised federal tax rates. Which he did not. That taxes would be slightly higher would be, me con tool, for obvious reasons. The TEMPORARY bush tax cuts ran out. But the tax rates, again as you know, are lower than they were in the 1950's.

Which taxes do you think he cut?
Here are a few:
"This is an astonishing level of misunderstanding. The truth is that the major tax cuts enacted in the 2009 economic stimulus bill actually reduced federal income taxes for tax year 2009 for 98 percent of all working families and individuals. These tax cuts saved working families and individuals an average of $1,158 on the tax returns they will file by April 15. (The median tax cut was approximately $600.) The stimulus bill included several tax"

http://ctj.org/pdf/truthaboutobamataxcuts.pdf

and you just admitted that GDP "languished."

Weakest recovery ever!
It needed congressional help. You see, no president can pass bills on his own. As you are pretending to not understand. And republicans BLOCKED every bill meant to help, and passed none of their own. Because, like you, they did not want to help, and they did not care about the middle class. Every single republican congressman voted against every bill brought forward to help the economy. EVERY ONE. And in every case, every single republican congressman voted against the bills.

and what bills did republicans bring forward to help lower unemployment and help with the slow recovery?

And republicans BLOCKED every bill meant to help, and passed none of their own.

Stopping his new spending plans was good.
Worked as you and the republican congress hoped. No stimulus was gained, and the recovery was not helped. So, yes, it was good for those who do not care what happened to the American Middle Class. To most of us, however, it was un-American.

Every single republican congressman voted against every bill brought forward to help the economy.

Obama spending plans wouldn't help the economy.
So you say. The cbo disagrees. Most economists disagree. But as I said, the conservatives did not care what they did to the economy or the american workers. They simply wanted the economy to fail. And to blame the other party. Which is un-american.

and what bills did republicans bring forward to help lower unemployment and help with the slow recovery?

You should look on Reid's desk.
Typical stupid con statement. If there was a bill sent forward, you can find it on the net. Easily. So, look at the internet. And quit proving you are a con tool. Try a rational argument. Maybe even with an impartial link.
If conservatives wanted to help the unemployment problem, they would have made an effort. If they did not care, they would not have made an effort. If they made and effort, there would be a bill, and we could find it. So, me boy, again, name the bill
Or are you just going to continue with short snarky unsubstantiated posts?

Why do you continue, time after time, to require me to educate you? The national debt is, in a coupleof respects, like an account. It has input like taxes. And output like spending.
If you had a brain, you would have noticed that over the years, with few exceptions, it increased greatly because people were unemployed and that payments in were way down. Happens every single time we have a recession.
So, your con talking points are fine. But bullshit, to put it technically. What economists say is more important. And they indicate we needed more STIMULATIVE spending.

Repealing Obamacare would help employment.
The reason you say that is that you love con talking points. It is, however, untrue.

Rolling back some of Obama's idiotic regulations would help employment.
The reason you say that is that you love con talking points. It is, however, untrue.

Cutting the corporate tax rate to 20% would help employment.
Remove all deductions first, and the net result would be an increase in their taxes.
Do you think the corporate published tax rate makes any difference? Do you think corporations pay the published rate? Or are you simply pushing the great conservative lie?
What is the ACTUAL tax rate, me con tool? The rates actually paid are already well under 20% for most corporations. Funny how you ignore that fact. And the paid tax rates are all that matter. As you know.

"But most large corporations -- and about a third of small corporations -- did owe corporate income taxes that year, to the tune of nearly $268 billion. For tax years 2008 through 2012, large profitable companies paid, on average, about 14% of their pretax income in U.S. corporate income taxes,"
20% of big companies pay zero corporate taxes
So, another lie exposed. With 20% of US Corporations paying zero federal taxes, and every con tool, like yourself, told to go out and tell everyone who will listen that US corporations pay the highest tax rates in the world, the wrong message is out there. Because, you see, it is another LIE.

So, where is the name of the bill republicans put forward to help speed the recovery and decrease the unemployment rate? Or would you prefer to just admit that they did NOTHING?

Would Obama sign anything like that?
What is the name or number of that Republican bill you are trying to ignore?

Last edited:

In addition to the rebates, the STIMULUS Bill included tax cuts for BUSINESS as well as individuals. Much of the $275 billion in tax cuts would go to middle-income families in the form of $1,000 tax cuts ($500 for individuals). An array of business and other tax cuts would make up the remainder.

In "addition," huh, edtheliar?

{
Tax incentives for individuals
Total: $237 billion

• $116 billion: New payroll tax credit of $400 per worker and $800 per couple in 2009 and 2010. Phaseout begins at $75,000 for individuals and $150,000 for joint filers.[25]
  • $70 billion: Alternative minimum tax: a one-year increase in AMT floor to $70,950 for joint filers for 2009.[25]
  • $15 billion: Expansion of child tax credit: A $1,000 credit to more families (even those that do not make enough money to pay income taxes).
  • $14 billion: Expanded college credit to provide a $2,500 expanded tax credit for college tuition and related expenses for 2009 and 2010. The credit is phased out for couples making more than $160,000.
  • $6.6 billion: Homebuyer credit: $8,000 refundable credit for all homes bought between January 1, 2009, and December 1, 2009, and repayment provision repealed for homes purchased in 2009 and held more than three years. This only applies to first-time homebuyers.[38]
  • $4.7 billion: Excluding from taxation the first $2,400 a person receives in unemployment compensation benefits in 2009.
  • $4.7 billion: Expanded earned income tax credit to increase the earned income tax credit — which provides money to low income workers – for families with at least three children.
  • $4.3 billion: Home energy credit to provide an expanded credit to homeowners who make their homes more energy-efficient in 2009 and 2010. Homeowners could recoup 30 percent of the cost up to $1,500 of numerous projects, such as installing energy-efficient windows, doors, furnaces and air conditioners.
  • $1.7 billion: for deduction of sales tax from car purchases, not interest payments phased out for incomes above $250,000.
Tax incentives for companies
Total: $51 billion

• $15 billion: Allowing companies to use current losses to offset profits made in the previous five years, instead of two, making them eligible for tax refunds.
  • $13 billion: to extend tax credits for renewable energy production (until 2014).
  • $11 billion: Government contractors: Repeal a law that takes effect in 2012, requiring government agencies to withhold three percent of payments to contractors to help ensure they pay their tax bills. Repealing the law would cost $11 billion over 10 years, in part because the government could not earn interest by holding the money throughout the year.
  • $7 billion: Repeal bank credit: Repeal a Treasury provision that allowed firms that buy money-losing banks to use more of the losses as tax credits to offset the profits of the merged banks for tax purposes. The change would increase taxes on the merged banks by $7 billion over 10 years.
  • $5 billion: Bonus depreciation, which extends a provision allowing businesses buying equipment such as computers to speed up its depreciation through 2009.}

Oops, looks like you're lying again.

Great. Some accomplishment for a congenital idiot. Being able to cut and paste. Now, next, dipshit, include a link so we can see the context. Which I assume you do not want anyone to see. Dipshit.
By the way, my 7 year old grandson can easily do what you just did. Ass hole. Quit wasting my time.

Said the conservative tool who is a congenital idiot. And never posts an actual impartial argument. Dipshit. Truth, me boy, is always truth. And what Ed posted is unvarnished TRUTH.

One difference between me and you Soros drones is that I cite my claims. You think you are privy to absolute truth because your masters at ThinkProgress told you something,

You are an ignorant hack me boyo, you don't even understand Keynesian theory, you've never read " General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money" (nor has edtheliar) and you think that your mindless adherence to the party somehow makes up for your abysmal lack of knowledge. The prerequisite to criticizing Freidman is a foundational grasp of Lord Keynes. Lacking this as you do, any educated person will recognize you for what you are, an ignorant hack.

[

Notice that when the worthless lying scum Right get caught lying they just continue to lie some more.
Thank you.
Yup. Normal. They lie to cover their lies.

Great. Some accomplishment for a congenital idiot. Being able to cut and paste. Now, next, dipshit, include a link so we can see the context. Which I assume you do not want anyone to see. Dipshit.
By the way, my 7 year old grandson can easily do what you just did. Ass hole. Quit wasting my time.

Poor little Bolshevik, unhappy that I proved your butt buddy wrong.

edtheliar is doing what he always does, stating what the party wants and then attempting to mold reality to fit party goals.

Facts ALWAYS defeat edtheliar.

Said the conservative tool who is a congenital idiot. And never posts an actual impartial argument. Dipshit. Truth, me boy, is always truth. And what Ed posted is unvarnished TRUTH.

One difference between me and you Soros drones is that I cite my claims. You think you are privy to absolute truth because your masters at ThinkProgress told you something,

You are an ignorant hack me boyo, you don't even understand Keynesian theory, you've never read " General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money" (nor has edtheliar) and you think that your mindless adherence to the party somehow makes up for your abysmal lack of knowledge. The prerequisite to criticizing Freidman is a foundational grasp of Lord Keynes. Lacking this as you do, any educated person will recognize you for what you are, an ignorant hack.
That would be your opinion, me poor ignorant con tool. I did indeed read it. I understand keynesian theory, but do not buy the entire economic theory chapter and verse. There have been plenty of economic modifications and new theories since Keynes. And, unlike con tools who like to be told what to believe, I am like most thinking people. And consider Keynes a good early model but with a number of modifications.
Never read anything about soros, except in drivel posted by cons like you. Jesus, he is not 10% of the problem with money in politics. The vast majority of the money in politics is from conservative tools, or actually their bosses, who try to push how we who do not buy Top Down, or Supply Side, or Reaganomics are all keynesians. Problem is, the conservative mind does not understand that there are nuances to every theory of economics, a large number of economic theories, and parts of most make sense. But with Friedman, his theory is based on the socio-economic system he purports to agree with. In total. Which is Libertarianism. And that, me boy, makes him a paid hack before he says anything. I would start to take him seriously if he could magically show a Libertarian country that has been successful ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD IN THE PAST 250 YEARS. Barring that, those who believe Supply Side Economics are proven hacks, paid by the wealthy to make them more wealthy.
And relative to my understanding of economics, I never, ever brag. But you, me boy, have no room to criticize. You know zero. Just how to take orders and believe what you are told. I have lived in and around libertarians for over 50 years, and every single solitary one was ignorant as a post.

Last edited:

Poor little Bolshevik, unhappy that I proved your butt buddy wrong.

edtheliar is doing what he always does, stating what the party wants and then attempting to mold reality to fit party goals.

Facts ALWAYS defeat edtheliar.
where are your facts, dipshit. As soon as you can provide an impartial source (look it up, tool) I would consider your "facts". But as a libertarian, I will wait for you to tell me where the successful libertarian country is that validates the doctrine. Which you know you can not.

That would be your opinion, me poor ignorant con tool. I did indeed read it. I understand keynesian theory, but do not buy the entire economic theory chapter and verse. There have been plenty of economic modifications and new theories since Keynes. And, unlike con tools who like to be told what to believe, I am like most thinking people. And consider Keynes a good early model but with a number of modifications.
Never read anything about soros, except in drivel posted by cons like you. Jesus, he is not 10% of the problem with money in politics. The vast majority is conservative tools, or actually their bosses. try to push how we who do not buy Top Down, or Supply Side, or Reaganomics are all keynesians. Problem is, the conservative mind does not understand that there are nuances to every theory of economics, a large number of economic theories, and parts of most that make since. But it is not at all hard to criticize is a grasp of a number of economic theories, and the real world. But with Friedman, his theory is based on the socio-economic system he purports to agree with. In total. Which is Libertarianism. And that, me boy, makes him a paid hack before he says anything. I would start to take him seriously if he could magically show a Libertarian country that has been successful ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD IN THE PAST 250 YEARS. Barring that, those who believe Supply Side Economics are proven hacks, paid by the wealthy to make them more wealthy.
And relative to my understanding of economics, I never, ever brag. But you, me boy, have no room to criticize. You know zero. Just how to take orders and believe what you are told. I have lived in and around libertarians for over 50 years, and every single solitary one was ignorant as a post.

As far as

Your post makes one thing perfectly clear, you have no grasp of economics at all.

As for Libertarian, did you know that Noam Chomsky regards himself as a LIBERTARIAN Marxist? You don't even grasp the distinction between political and economic systems.

So that's why we have the weakest recovery ever, the smartest president ever had Republican predecessors.

I guess if the debt was $12 trillion higher than the day he took office, everything would be groovy.

Think about what you just said, me boy. After the economy loved Reagans economic measures to the point that the UE went to the second highest in US history, he spent the next 6.5 years increasing taxes and TRIPLING THE NATIONAL DEBT. (bold and red to try to get you to understand). And the economy responded as any thinking person would have thought.
So, yes indeed, you might try to listen to economists and stop posting conservative dogma. It is SO boring, and largely ignorant.

Forum List

Back