Dutch delay 13-year-old sailor's worldwide trip

Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
Dutch delay 13-year-old sailor's worldwide trip - Yahoo! News

UTRECHT, Netherlands — Dutch judges Friday called a 13-year-old girl's plan to sail solo around the world "undeniably daring and risky," but refused to scupper it completely, in a high profile clash between child care authorities and liberal Dutch parenting.

A panel of three judges at Utrecht District court ordered authorities to take temporary guardianship of Laura Dekker, delaying her plan to set sail next week on her 26-foot (8-meter) yacht Guppy and become the youngest person to sail solo around the world.

In her first reaction, Laura appeared unconcerned by the ruling.
"I wouldn't go if I or my boat wasn't up to it, so things have stayed the same, except it is going to take a little longer," Laura told Dutch national broadcaster NOS.

The court appointed a child psychologist to report on her capacity to cope with the risks she faces and the possible harm of two years of isolation.

The ruling came a day after 17-year-old Mike Perham of Britain grabbed the crown Laura covets...Perham's boat, a 50-foot (15-meter) racing yacht called Totallymoney.com in honor of his sponsor, is much larger than Laura's. But he also had significant seafaring adventures at a tender age.

"Thirteen is a young, young age," he said Thursday. "But then I sailed across the Atlantic on my own when I was 14 and if I could do that when I was 14 then in theory she could do it when she was 13. But, yes, for me age is only a number."

Asinine and authoritarian state intrusion, IMO. And I agree with Perham, as it were.

There is the age factor, true but there is the boat factor also.

A small sailboat as described is not usually built for open ocean, bluewater sailing. So, if she has good weather, fine. If she does not, then it could be very dangerous. I am talking structural integrity of the hull and rigging. With many years on the ocean, let me assure you, it is very dangerous and not forgiving at all.

At night, if she is sleeping, she could be in a shipping lane, large ships do not always have competent persons on the wheel, do not watch their radar, if they have them. This can be very dangerous, so let us hope that Dad or someone in advisory has gone over all of this with her, bluewater sailing can be fun or can have major problems. If she encounters bad weather, does she know how to handle a potential rollover? If she knows all the answers presented by a competent blue water person, then she may be ready.
Ocean sailing is one third boredom, one third fun and one third terror.It is a hard decision to make, but then she wants to set a record and let us hope, if she goes that she is able to do that. Hey Dad, get some good advisors with background.
Records are set by persons who reach out beyond the limits. :eusa_pray:

Dutch delay 13-year-old sailor's worldwide trip - Yahoo! News

UTRECHT, Netherlands — Dutch judges Friday called a 13-year-old girl's plan to sail solo around the world "undeniably daring and risky," but refused to scupper it completely, in a high profile clash between child care authorities and liberal Dutch parenting.

A panel of three judges at Utrecht District court ordered authorities to take temporary guardianship of Laura Dekker, delaying her plan to set sail next week on her 26-foot (8-meter) yacht Guppy and become the youngest person to sail solo around the world.

In her first reaction, Laura appeared unconcerned by the ruling.
"I wouldn't go if I or my boat wasn't up to it, so things have stayed the same, except it is going to take a little longer," Laura told Dutch national broadcaster NOS.

The court appointed a child psychologist to report on her capacity to cope with the risks she faces and the possible harm of two years of isolation.

The ruling came a day after 17-year-old Mike Perham of Britain grabbed the crown Laura covets...Perham's boat, a 50-foot (15-meter) racing yacht called Totallymoney.com in honor of his sponsor, is much larger than Laura's. But he also had significant seafaring adventures at a tender age.

"Thirteen is a young, young age," he said Thursday. "But then I sailed across the Atlantic on my own when I was 14 and if I could do that when I was 14 then in theory she could do it when she was 13. But, yes, for me age is only a number."

Asinine and authoritarian state intrusion, IMO. And I agree with Perham, as it were.

Already posted on that one : http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...il-around-the-world-put-under-state-care.html

Forum List

Back