Dust in the wind.

Discussion in 'Education' started by Ray9, Nov 7, 2018.

1. sparky

sparky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,710
    then you should be our go to guy for economic debates

I'm on the fence about that

any pol preaching fear does these days

a shread of hope such 'Flowers for Algernon' scenarios can exist...

agreed

it really doesn't take a history major to point this out, or realize the phenomenon

in the broader objective , what metric can be used?

are we devolving into pandemic?

~S~

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +82,255
    Very well put

I went to college for engineering and had very few liberal arts classes. But I learned to respect those who can write well, critical thinking, logic and exposure to a wide variety of ideas that liberal arts brings

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Aurora Woman

Aurora Woman Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Ditto for my husband, who also majored in engineering (industrial, what's your speciality)? He also moved to a large city when he graduated, whereas the rest of his family stayed put near the tiny rural town where they grew up. Surprisingly enough, they have all remained staunchly conservative and uber Christian. </sarcasm> He's a centrist atheist.

4. Aurora Woman

Aurora Woman Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Really? Is that why metro areas with a diverse population and a lot of college-educated ppl tend to lean heavily towards Dem candidates?

Oops.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +82,255
    Actually, I majored in Industrial Engineering
    Switched to Electronic Engineering once I started working

When I graduated, I was a staunch conservative. Bought in to Supply Side Economics and voted for Reagan and Bush 41 four times

Switched to Democratic in the mid 90s and have mostly supported liberal ideas ever since. I am an atheist not for political reasons but I just don’t buy in to religious claims. My parents were conservative Republicans their whole lives

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Aurora Woman

Aurora Woman Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Did/do you work in IT? That's what he did till he retired a couple of years ago. Great field. He is an atheist for the same reason; scientifically there's no proof. He doesn't believe in vitamin and herbal supplements and medical MJ for the same reason.

What caused you to switch political allegiance, if you don't mind me asking?

7. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +82,255
    Worked 40 years for DOD in testing

I switched allegiance in the mid 90s with the Newt Gingrich Republicans and driving out of the more liberal voices of the party. To me, the party just seemed mean and uncaring of people in general

8. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,007

College kids absolutely the last people to ever question authority. The entire trick to doing well in college, particularly these days, is not questioning authority and obediently regurgitating whatever the hell some fruity old college professor demands you pretend you really believe. It’s pathetic and absolutely devoid of independent thoughts. It takes an extraordinarily strong willed to come out of such an environment with one’s own principles still family intact. The masses of farm animal like people are only too malleable and to eager to become whenever the hell some washed out old hippie wants them to become.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Aurora Woman

Aurora Woman Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Fascinating. Evidently you're not too familiar with college. My profs are younger than I am, around the ages of my children (30s and 40s). Warning: Anecdotal experience incoming: Last week in one of my classes the prof asked for opinions about the difference between how we see and treat with elders in our culture, and how elders were treated in indigenous cultures. One young man, age ~20, stood up and went on a rant about how f'd up this country is and how govt is filled with old people who don't give a shit about ppl his age and are f'ing them over and don't understand them and on and on. When he finally wound down, I asked for the floor and told him that he is being a bit unperceptive, so may I help? I said that much of what he said seems true, but that MANY of us old ppl are deeply concerned about the issues that face our kids and grandkids (he's the age of my oldest g-kid lol) and that we are involved in the political process and are actively working to create a better future for them, even though that future seems kinda shitty right now. All this is, of course, paraphrased. One point I brought up was the student loan burden and how different it is from when I was his age, and how much that needs to change because what future do you have when you graduate but owe a debt equal to that of buying a home? The prof then stepped in and said how he encourages free thought and speech and energetic debate, and then several others took the floor too. This from a class with 37 freshmen students (except for me lol), so shy that they seldom speak out loud.

This is the basis of free thought. This is the foundation of learning. This is what America was built upon. This is what conservatives fear the most.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ray9

Ray9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,201
    Having never been a fan of recreational or exploratory drug use it’s odd that as I grapple with what’s happening in our society today the song, “Incense and Peppermints” surfaces out of my subconscious. The song was written as a spoof on the psychedelic era afoot in 1967. It was on the B side of another song but ended up a huge hit. The words were hauntingly ahead of their time and half a century later they can be applied to describe the divisive and increasingly violent polarization loose in the public domain:

“To divide this cockeyed world in two, throw your pride to one side, it’s the least you can do. Beatniks and politics, nothing is new. A yardstick for lunatics, one point of view. Who cares what games we choose, little to win, but nothing to lose”.

Does that sound like collegiate inspired political correctness and Antifa politics to you? Think about what’s happening as strident factions are actually in the process of trying to dismantle the Constitution by doing away with the Electoral College among other things. We’ve been living at the foot of a rumbling volcano; we should have seen this coming from a song that heralded: “good sense and innocence cripple mankind”.

I never listened to the words, just the music. I should have paid attention to those words. Some used to burn incense to cover the aroma of marijuana smoke and eat peppermint hide the smell on their breath. I got so stoned once in 1973 that I fell asleep at 50 mph on my motorcycle and went over an embankment, nearly drowning after I slid head first into a creek.

Now it’s medicinal. Fancy that. Do you think people wired on weed and addicted to opioids might be easier to control because as long as their poison is available and affordable they won’t question their circumstances? How much of our government is financed by the opioids flowing in from Mexico?

I remember Jack Mayes telling me in a 1962 Comparative Government class that Soviet Communism, which was a template for globalism, was imposed on the masses because the elites believed the end justified the means. The US government apparently borrowed the lesson and so drugging the poor to keep them in line while submitting to leftist-globalist politics is seen as acceptable as marijuana will soon be legalized.

New taxation will saves us though.