CDZ Duhumanization & Partisan Politics

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Found some fascinating, brand new research on behaviors in partisan politics. Obviously, partisans either consciously or subconsciously dehumanize their opponents so that their opponents are much easier to hate and attack. That's one of the many behaviors shared by partisans on both ends of the spectrum, and these studies suggest its negative effects. Here's research just published during the last month:

Partisan Dehumanization in American Politics

Understanding dehumanization in political contexts is important because the social psychology literature links dehumanization to a variety of negative outcomes, including moral disengagement, aggression, and even violence. In this manuscript, I discuss evidence of partisan dehumanization during the 2016 U.S. Presidential campaign and demonstrate how a focus on dehumanization can expose new relationships between moral psychology and partisan identity. Using data from two surveys conducted in October of 2016, I show that partisans dehumanize their political opponents in both subtle and blatant ways. When I investigate the correlates of dehumanization, I find that partisans who blatantly dehumanize members of the opposing party prefer greater social distance from their political opponents, which is indicative of reduced interpersonal tolerance. I also find that blatant dehumanization is associated with perceptions of greater moral distance between the parties, which is indicative of moral disengagement. These results suggest that dehumanization can improve our understanding of negative partisanship and political polarization.

Partisan Dehumanization in American Politics - Heterodox Academy

Although the process of dehumanization has not received much attention in political science, it has received a good deal of attention within social psychology.

Nevertheless, research on dehumanization indicates that the process is associated with moral disengagement whereby a person or group are classified as less than human, and thus less deserving of moral consideration. In other words, when a rival person or group is dehumanized they are seen as undeserving of moral concern. When this occurs, unfair treatment, derogation, and even aggression are then easily justified and rationalized (see e.g., Ellemers 2017; Schwartz 2007). Once this process is underway it may become self-reinforcing, as research indicates perceived dehumanization prompts dehumanization as a response (Kteily, Hodson & Bruneau 2016).

Old as the hills.... meaning, this is human behavior 101a.
What would be more interesting is how our nation, consisting mostly of people with like wants and needs, carry the same goals and primary beliefs, can so easily be convinced that we are not alike.
The media, our education system and politicians have done a masterful job indeed of dividing the people.
Works like a charm.

What would be more interesting is how our nation, consisting mostly of people with like wants and needs, carry the same goals and primary beliefs, can so easily be convinced that we are not alike.
The media, our education system and politicians have done a masterful job indeed of dividing the people.
Works like a charm.
Sure, that's been a huge element in this. People with the ability to communicate to masses, who have a vested professional interest in dividing us, getting their way.

Another element is the last sentence in the OP, essentially momentum: Once this process is underway it may become self-reinforcing, as research indicates perceived dehumanization prompts dehumanization as a response

Works like a charm.
Sure, that's been a huge element in this. People with the ability to communicate to masses, who have a vested professional interest in dividing us, getting their way.

Another element is the last sentence in the OP, essentially momentum: Once this process is underway it may become self-reinforcing, as research indicates perceived dehumanization prompts dehumanization as a response

research indicates perceived dehumanization prompts dehumanization as a response

Well, yeah! It's difficult to empathize with someone who thinks you're evil.

research indicates perceived dehumanization prompts dehumanization as a response
The question here is, though, whether they really think you're evil, or if they're just using the notion as a crutch, an excuse, a utililty.

The left was calling me evil long before I started getting annoyed enough about it to say anything back. I'm white and male, you see.

The question here is, though, whether they really think you're evil, or if they're just using the notion as a crutch, an excuse, a utililty.
The left was calling me evil long before I started getting annoyed enough about it to say anything back. I'm white and male, you see.
It's a tactic, not a real belief. Then, over time, we talk ourselves into actually believing it because (a) our tribe reinforces it, (b) you react similarly, and (c) your tribe reinforces that.

We're just falling for this, and that doesn't have to be the case.

White Males: the same guys who codified blacks as being 3/5 of a person in the founding documents of the nation?

It's a tactic, not a real belief. Then, over time, we talk ourselves into actually believing it because (a) our tribe reinforces it, (b) you react similarly, and (c) your tribe reinforces that.

We're just falling for this, and that doesn't have to be the case.

Their "tribe" has the backing of the mainstream media, higher education and the political establishment. My "tribe" reinforces it by not turning submissive and apologizing for being born white.

Most people are shades of purple. The political realities of our binary electoral process pushes one into either camp (red or blue). Today, take any supposed hard line conservative or liberal and they will do things that are 180 degrees opposite of their supposed set of beliefs. Conservative anti-globalists will use technology made in Singapore or Malaysia, shop at Wal*Mart, and watch a Television that was imported from the Orient as well. Liberal tree-huggers will drive an internal combustion engine (likely in a car by themselves) for about an hour today, generate enough garbage to fill a 13 gallon garbage bag made by a plant that pollutes the atmosphere, likely while wearing clothing made in nations where there are no or little workers’ rights.

Works like a charm.

Absolutely.
I will take for instance, rightwinger or OldLady
If I was to sit in their home for dinner, or they in mine... I guarantee we would get along fine. We could talk about any number of topics, and would agree or mostly agree on better than 90% on discussions of values, raising children, work ethics, basic morals etc. etc. etc.
But... the news media, politicians, entertainment industry all have us going at each other as if we are not alike. Indeed, convinced through generalities that we are completely different. Even evil.
We are not.
We are almost completely the same except for a party affiliation that has little effect on our lives, though convinced those party differences have massive differences by whatever news media we listen to.

Not since the 1960s has this country been this divided, and the result is the wolves have taken over our governments, they represent the super-wealthy and super corporations...while little by little extracting our wealth into their hands.

White Males: the same guys who codified blacks as being 3/5 of a person in the founding documents of the nation?

Yeah and people used to think the sun was a god and the earth was flat. What's your point?

Yeah and people used to think the sun was a god and the earth was flat. What's your point?

Whites were “dehumanizing” others well long before you were around.

And here we go.

That certainly didn't take very long!
Works like a charm.

Absolutely.
If I was to sit in their home for dinner, or they in mine... I guarantee we would get along fine. We could talk about any number of topics, and would agree or mostly agree on better than 90% on discussions of values, raising children, work ethics, basic morals etc. etc. etc.
But... the news media, politicians, entertainment industry all have us going at each other as if we are not alike. Indeed, convinced through generalities that we are completely different. Even evil.
We are not.
We are almost completely the same except for a party affiliation that has little effect on our lives, though convinced those party differences have massive differences by whatever news media we listen to.

Not since the 1960s has this country been this divided, and the result is the wolves have taken over our governments, they represent the super-wealthy and super corporations...while little by little extracting our wealth into their hands.
It just seems like there is a trigger somewhere that changes us from perfectly reasonable and rational to some kind of robot. We're all going to have it, but that trigger seems to be much closer to the surface in some than in others. When that trigger goes, THAT'S when the self esteem and ego take over, and off we go.

Ask the Aztec's enemies how human they felt. Or ask the black slavers how human they thought their prey were.

You are singling one group out purely for political/moral gain.

Ask the Aztec's enemies how human they felt. Or ask the black slavers how human they thought their prey were.

The person I responded to singled out the one group.

Minor political disagreements have become major differences in philosophy. The Democrats have slipped off the American cracker and are demanding their way. Americans will have none of it.

It's not dehumanization or any other nonsense. It's a human reaction to an attack. Continue to press the attack, and tensions will increase.

“We are five days away from fundamentally transforming the United States of America.”
-Barack Obama

Yes, as opposed to black slave owners who codified them only on sales ledgers. What's the difference? It was the thinking of the times.

The person I responded to singled out the one group.

That was in the specific context of current progressive thought. You just pulled a strawman out as a counter as opposed to responding to the actual comment.

He was talking about his view of what is going on right now, you decided to take the easy way out and go with "whites did X first" when they really didn't do it first, because people have been doing it since one caveman argued with another and was losing.

Works like a charm.

Absolutely.
We are not.

I agree that we would get along fine, but I need to correct one thing: I do not have a party affiliation and I am a long cry from carrying rightwinger's banner. I just usually fall on the left side of the fence.

Forum List

Back