CDZ Duhumanization & Partisan Politics

Found some fascinating, brand new research on behaviors in partisan politics. Obviously, partisans either consciously or subconsciously dehumanize their opponents so that their opponents are much easier to hate and attack. That's one of the many behaviors shared by partisans on both ends of the spectrum, and these studies suggest its negative effects. Here's research just published during the last month:

Partisan Dehumanization in American Politics

Understanding dehumanization in political contexts is important because the social psychology literature links dehumanization to a variety of negative outcomes, including moral disengagement, aggression, and even violence. In this manuscript, I discuss evidence of partisan dehumanization during the 2016 U.S. Presidential campaign and demonstrate how a focus on dehumanization can expose new relationships between moral psychology and partisan identity. Using data from two surveys conducted in October of 2016, I show that partisans dehumanize their political opponents in both subtle and blatant ways. When I investigate the correlates of dehumanization, I find that partisans who blatantly dehumanize members of the opposing party prefer greater social distance from their political opponents, which is indicative of reduced interpersonal tolerance. I also find that blatant dehumanization is associated with perceptions of greater moral distance between the parties, which is indicative of moral disengagement. These results suggest that dehumanization can improve our understanding of negative partisanship and political polarization.

Partisan Dehumanization in American Politics - Heterodox Academy

Although the process of dehumanization has not received much attention in political science, it has received a good deal of attention within social psychology.

Nevertheless, research on dehumanization indicates that the process is associated with moral disengagement whereby a person or group are classified as less than human, and thus less deserving of moral consideration. In other words, when a rival person or group is dehumanized they are seen as undeserving of moral concern. When this occurs, unfair treatment, derogation, and even aggression are then easily justified and rationalized (see e.g., Ellemers 2017; Schwartz 2007). Once this process is underway it may become self-reinforcing, as research indicates perceived dehumanization prompts dehumanization as a response (Kteily, Hodson & Bruneau 2016).

Once again I agree with your post in spirit. In real world practice, however, I believe its timing is far too late. Normally I would ignore the grand relentless political theater as I've done in the past and chalk up most of the 24/7 partisan infighting hyperbole to the behavior described in your linked article. But we live in very unique times, historically speaking. Times which are perhaps unlike any other in human history for the attempts to regress the moral foundation of an entire civilization far back to an earlier age when public and political barbarism and savagery were hardly mentionable as they were the social norm. From this forced rebirth of Draconian Cultural Revolution has sprung, in my best estimate, a damn pressing need to oppose this would be end to modern Western Civilization at all costs. Attempts at sidelining or downplaying the pressing importance of that struggle is the last thing we need.
The bottom line, my concern is (a) whether there is a point of no return to all this, and (b) whether we have reached it.

My guess is that we have, and I'd sure love to be wrong. But this momentum is showing little indication of stopping. When any public voice of reason and moderation (and you'll still see a bit from both ends) appears, you'll see it either ignored, mocked or attacked.

Once those voices have been fully marginalized, this thing is over.

Absolutely agree with your words of wisdom on that and if Americans are genuinely good at anything, it's last second backing away from the brink. Although I myself tend to get caught up in the hyper-partisan rhetoric, I'd like to believe it is not too late to do just that, to look to cooler heads to prevail. Unfortunately, and while we Americans tend to pull off some historically stunning last minute saves, in order to do that we often need a diversion, otherwise known as something "shiny" to take our collective attention off the meltdown issue of the day and sort of reset our national mind. I hope that whatever diversion is coming will be the lesser of many contemporary "evils".
The thing is, there are already many "cooler heads" talking, but they are being shunned by the partisans here. That is the most dangerous part of this whole situation. I will never forgive Trump for this.

research indicates perceived dehumanization prompts dehumanization as a response
Well, yeah! It's difficult to empathize with someone who thinks you're evil.
The question here is, though, whether they really think you're evil, or if they're just using the notion as a crutch, an excuse, a utililty.

They're being told to think you're evil.

This all flows down from the top.

The water carriers pick it up and believe it.

We see it constantly here and out in the world. People believe the talking points people spin to manipulate them. I could point to several active threads here right now where people have picked up that type of ball and are running with it like they've won a prize.

Hilarious and pathetic at the same time that people have lost the inability to think for themselves and see through this tactic to see that they are being used, as well as to realize that just because someone disagrees with your viewpoint they are not stupid, evil, racist etc....
Yeah, it all feeds on itself. We're rewarded (both externally and internally) when we are obedient to our tribe and increase animosity and division.

High fives all around!

Fairness seems to be a priority to you, Mac. yet it seems you think the indoctrination effect that Fueri mentioned is equally distributed. It's not.

super rich media conglomerates who have the backing of the political establishment churn out divisive hardcore leftist propaganda 24/7.

there is NO right wing equivalent.

As soon as people like David Brooks or the late Charles Krauthammer speak, the right wingers here are calling them neo-cons or Democrats, even. They don't even listen to them. They go instead online to weirdo bloggers who hold forth as if they know something and pretend to be telling people the "truth" of the news. Only choose the ones you agree with--they are the only ones who know anything. LOL

Fairness seems to be a priority to you, Mac.
I only care about "fairness" - which is subjective - as it contributes to solutions. And I don't believe long-lasting solutions can be achieved without collaboration and innovation.

Collaboration and innovation can't be achieved until and unless we marginalize the worst tactics of partisanship - dehumanization would be one - and get past this.

Found some fascinating, brand new research on behaviors in partisan politics. Obviously, partisans either consciously or subconsciously dehumanize their opponents so that their opponents are much easier to hate and attack. That's one of the many behaviors shared by partisans on both ends of the spectrum, and these studies suggest its negative effects. Here's research just published during the last month:

Understanding dehumanization in political contexts is important because the social psychology literature links dehumanization to a variety of negative outcomes, including moral disengagement, aggression, and even violence. In this manuscript, I discuss evidence of partisan dehumanization during the 2016 U.S. Presidential campaign and demonstrate how a focus on dehumanization can expose new relationships between moral psychology and partisan identity. Using data from two surveys conducted in October of 2016, I show that partisans dehumanize their political opponents in both subtle and blatant ways. When I investigate the correlates of dehumanization, I find that partisans who blatantly dehumanize members of the opposing party prefer greater social distance from their political opponents, which is indicative of reduced interpersonal tolerance. I also find that blatant dehumanization is associated with perceptions of greater moral distance between the parties, which is indicative of moral disengagement. These results suggest that dehumanization can improve our understanding of negative partisanship and political polarization.

Although the process of dehumanization has not received much attention in political science, it has received a good deal of attention within social psychology.

Nevertheless, research on dehumanization indicates that the process is associated with moral disengagement whereby a person or group are classified as less than human, and thus less deserving of moral consideration. In other words, when a rival person or group is dehumanized they are seen as undeserving of moral concern. When this occurs, unfair treatment, derogation, and even aggression are then easily justified and rationalized (see e.g., Ellemers 2017; Schwartz 2007). Once this process is underway it may become self-reinforcing, as research indicates perceived dehumanization prompts dehumanization as a response (Kteily, Hodson & Bruneau 2016).

Once again I agree with your post in spirit. In real world practice, however, I believe its timing is far too late. Normally I would ignore the grand relentless political theater as I've done in the past and chalk up most of the 24/7 partisan infighting hyperbole to the behavior described in your linked article. But we live in very unique times, historically speaking. Times which are perhaps unlike any other in human history for the attempts to regress the moral foundation of an entire civilization far back to an earlier age when public and political barbarism and savagery were hardly mentionable as they were the social norm. From this forced rebirth of Draconian Cultural Revolution has sprung, in my best estimate, a damn pressing need to oppose this would be end to modern Western Civilization at all costs. Attempts at sidelining or downplaying the pressing importance of that struggle is the last thing we need.
The bottom line, my concern is (a) whether there is a point of no return to all this, and (b) whether we have reached it.

My guess is that we have, and I'd sure love to be wrong. But this momentum is showing little indication of stopping. When any public voice of reason and moderation (and you'll still see a bit from both ends) appears, you'll see it either ignored, mocked or attacked.

Absolutely agree with your words of wisdom on that and if Americans are genuinely good at anything, it's last second backing away from the brink. Although I myself tend to get caught up in the hyper-partisan rhetoric, I'd like to believe it is not too late to do just that, to look to cooler heads to prevail. Unfortunately, and while we Americans tend to pull off some historically stunning last minute saves, in order to do that we often need a diversion, otherwise known as something "shiny" to take our collective attention off the meltdown issue of the day and sort of reset our national mind. I hope that whatever diversion is coming will be the lesser of many contemporary "evils".
The thing is, there are already many "cooler heads" talking, but they are being shunned by the partisans here. That is the most dangerous part of this whole situation. I will never forgive Trump for this.

Do you forgive Don Lemon of CNN for saying white men are the biggest threat in the nation? How about the numerous college professors teaching classes on how to "dismantle whiteness"? Anything to say about the anti-white, anti-male, anti-tradition, anti-america rhetoric from the left that rose to a fevered pitch years before Trump even announced his run for the presidency?

I only care about "fairness" - which is subjective - as it contributes to solutions. And I don't believe long-lasting solutions can be achieved without collaboration and innovation.

Collaboration and innovation can't be achieved until and unless we marginalize the worst tactics of partisanship - dehumanization would be one - and get past this.

Collaborate. With people who hate you. Ok...

You talk about partisans and then indulge in an EXTREMELY partisan accusation by blaming Trump.

You talk about partisans and then indulge in an EXTREMELY partisan accusation by blaming Trump.

They brought Trump on themselves.

Never gonna change.

It's a stupid-easy formula, easily repeatable on almost any given issue- and it works.

I don't think that many ultra-conformists even realize that not everybody WANTS to have them control their lives down to the iota.

I see the election of Trump, not in terms of left vs right, but authoritarian vs more libertarian. He isn't a libertarian per se, but the extremely authoritarian practitioners of identity politics have created a political climate where a backlash was certainly inevitable.

I see his election as saying "stop telling me fucking everything I can and cannot do or say".

So progressives don't see white males as oppressors?

You’d have to poll progressives I imagine.

Or you just have to observe their behavior.

Observations can be faulty. Some here still think Trump is an honorable man even after he’s paid porn stars to remain silent about their affair, after he’s insinuated a woman was on her period after moderating a debate, and brags about grabbing women by their genitals. If you’re looking at these people (Foxfyre) would it be fair to think all conservatives think Trump is an honorable man?

Who gives a flying f*ck???
You think Obama is an honorable man? Nancy Pelosi a honorable woman?
This is exactly what this thread is about.
While folks like you are caught up in your little rock throwing contest, going on and on and on about stuff that doesn't matter one little bit - WE, THE MIDDLE CLASS,,,regardless of political persuasion are continuously losing everything that has made us strong.
We have lost sick days, pensions, our wages stagnant for 2 decades, health insurance costs making us all poor, all the while what the insurance companies pay for us dwindling each year - AND ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS TRUMP AND A PROSTITUTE.
Grow the f*ck up.

As for the Clean Debate Zone thread..it wasn’t about race either until you introduced race. Then of course comedy ensued from your fellow snowflakes.

I pointed out that most of us are shades of purple; true extremists are few and far between despite the OP’s rather hilarious and fanatical insistence otherwise.

What are you talking about?
I have spoke nothing about race???

Collaborate. With people who hate you. Ok...
As I've said, I believe the "hate" coming from both ends is a mechanism, an excuse for avoidance behavior. Contrived.

Like any other issue, it has to be overcome.

Never gonna change.

It's a stupid-easy formula, easily repeatable on almost any given issue- and it works.
That's my fear.

[
As for the Clean Debate Zone thread..it wasn’t about race either until you introduced race. Then of course comedy ensued from your fellow snowflakes.

I pointed out that most of us are shades of purple; true extremists are few and far between despite the OP’s rather hilarious and fanatical insistence otherwise.
You introduced race in post #8.

Don't let the truth get in the way of your hyper-partisan finger pointing though, k?

I don't think that many ultra-conformists even realize that not everybody WANTS to have them control their lives down to the iota.

I see the election of Trump, not in terms of left vs right, but authoritarian vs more libertarian. He isn't a libertarian per se, but the extremely authoritarian practitioners of identity politics have created a political climate where a backlash was certainly inevitable.

I see his election as saying "stop telling me fucking everything I can and cannot do or say".

Yes, his election was hugely motivated by a backlash against PC thought police. But not only that, his "build the wall" immigration promises tapped into a mostly unconscious self-preservation instinct from white Americans who know the left wants them replaced with someone browner.

[

Don't let the truth get in the way of your hyper-partisan finger pointing though, k?

It was introduced in Post #6.

You’d have to poll progressives I imagine.

Observations can be faulty. Some here still think Trump is an honorable man even after he’s paid porn stars to remain silent about their affair, after he’s insinuated a woman was on her period after moderating a debate, and brags about grabbing women by their genitals. If you’re looking at these people (Foxfyre) would it be fair to think all conservatives think Trump is an honorable man?

While folks like you are caught up in your little rock throwing contest, going on and on and on about stuff that doesn't matter one little bit - WE, THE MIDDLE CLASS,,,regardless of political persuasion are continuously losing everything that has made us strong.
We have lost sick days, pensions, our wages stagnant for 2 decades, health insurance costs making us all poor, all the while what the insurance companies pay for us dwindling each year - AND ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS TRUMP AND A PROSTITUTE.
Grow the f*ck up.

The left was calling me evil long before I started getting annoyed enough about it to say anything back. I'm white and male, you see.

Grow the f*ck up.

The left was calling me evil long before I started getting annoyed enough about it to say anything back. I'm white and male, you see.
Are you blind or drunk?
That post is not made by me

[

It was introduced in Post #6.
yeah, you are right about that. I didn't look back far enough.

Grow the f*ck up.

Are you blind or drunk?
That post is not made by me

Blind I guess.

I truly apologize for mis-attributing the quote to you.

I’m sorry.

Forum List

Back