Draft: Would you go?

No.

War is the most stupid thing humans waste their time, energy, money and lives on.

Instead, we need to work on ending it.

How would I get out of it?

Hell if I know.

In my day (Vietnam), guys worked in hospitals taking care of the poor victims of the utter stupidity of war. Or, they left the country.

Canada got some of our best and brightest.

And most irresponsible and self-centered. I don't mind that they left but they should never have been allowed to come back.

Its actually the opposite of irresponsible and self-centered.

And, no way should people be forced to kill.

This IS America, you know.

I think every person should be required to do two years in the military immediately after high school and before college.

No.

War is the most stupid thing humans waste their time, energy, money and lives on.

Hell if I know.

In my day (Vietnam), guys worked in hospitals taking care of the poor victims of the utter stupidity of war. Or, they left the country.

And most irresponsible and self-centered. I don't mind that they left but they should never have been allowed to come back.

Its actually the opposite of irresponsible and self-centered.

And, no way should people be forced to kill.

This IS America, you know.

As I already pointed out it's altogether possible to serve without being "forced to kill". How would anyone force someone to kill anyway? False excuse.
Those COs I knew were not cowards and were truly willing to die for their beliefs. I respected them deeply until I realized that they were also willing to let the helpless casualties in their care die for their beliefs or even me.

Being CO may not get you out of being drafted. In Vietnam there were more than a few CO medics.

I'd have no problem being a medic, or any other sort of non-combat support.

I have no medical training, though.

So you're a PhD doctor and not a boo-boo doctor?

Or are you a Sears doctor?

Not a doctor at all, actually. It's a nickname, not a job description.

But I will be a PhD in about 2 years.

No.

Hell if I know.

Wanna know how to end war? Not bomb the hell out of the Middle East. Unite the world under one government that is fair to everyone and gives everyone equal representation. Pool all of the world's scientists and their research together to solve humanity's problems. Keep young men from dying in war. Continue research into space travel so that if a group caused enough ruckus, they could be offered the choice of surrender, destruction, or colonizing worlds lightyears away from the rest of the world.

There are many other ways to serve one's country. If I remember correctly, Romney's boys helped their father in his campaign for president and Romney explained that was like doing military service. I think that's what I would like to do, I mean tour the country campaigning for a future presidnt, but I wouldn't want to leave the country or have to wear a uniform or go to far from home. Well maybe the uniform might be allright if it was like a general's uniform with lots medals.

Romneu didn't serve either.

He hid out in Paris, living in the lap of luxury.

Fact is, its the poor who defend their country and then pay the price for the rest of their lives.

Agreed about the poor usually doing the fighting but being involved in Vietnam was in no way defending this country. Same with Iraq and Afghanistan.

There are many other ways to serve one's country. If I remember correctly, Romney's boys helped their father in his campaign for president and Romney explained that was like doing military service. I think that's what I would like to do, I mean tour the country campaigning for a future presidnt, but I wouldn't want to leave the country or have to wear a uniform or go to far from home. Well maybe the uniform might be allright if it was like a general's uniform with lots medals.

Fact is, its the poor who defend their country and then pay the price for the rest of their lives.

Agreed about the poor usually doing the fighting but being involved in Vietnam was in no way defending this country. Same with Iraq and Afghanistan.

Untrue.

Richard Nixon, a Republican, ended the Vietnam war, started by a democrat, when I was 17. I was prepared to go. I used to tell people back then that if I got drafted I would go.

I'd go still but I doubt they need a 58 year old.

One of the main reasons Nixon ended the war was because of pressure from the left. We made people realize what a senseless war it was, and that we had no business being there.

Untrue.

So what threats were Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan to america? Our interfering in middle east policies on behalf of big oil for sure made enemies for us in the middle east, but it's not like afghanistan or iraq has the military capabilities to threaten America. Vietnam. What was USA doing there in the first place? I was wondering about that when I was in the Navy on a westpac cruise just before the Tonkin Gulf incident. Even back then I thought the domino theory was a load of bull. America was becoming a warmonger country but better the navy than the draft. Other more advanced countries invest in education, infrastructure, and health care, while we've used our great wealth to interfere in other nations' business all over the world instead.

You really have to wonder about the low information whiny left. American men have been subject to the draft since Wilson decided to save the surrender monkey French from the Hun. I bet the Troops who were stationed in the Philippines before WW2 weren't happy when their commanding general escaped and they were forced to endure the horrors of the Bataan death march. Ironically the same general ordered Americans into the biggest ambush in history in Korea. The point is that draftees don't get to pick and choose their heroic missions. They go where the government tells them to go and hope to God their government is supporting the mission. The only decision you have is in the voting booth.

You really have to wonder about the low information whiny left. American men have been subject to the draft since Wilson decided to save the surrender monkey French from the Hun. I bet the Troops who were stationed in the Philippines before WW2 weren't happy when their commanding general escaped and they were forced to endure the horrors of the Bataan death march. Ironically the same general ordered Americans into the biggest ambush in history in Korea. The point is that draftees don't get to pick and choose their heroic missions. They go where the government tells them to go and hope to God their government is supporting the mission. The only decision you have is in the voting booth.

US civilians were subjected to the draft much earlier than that, In 1863 the draft was created and it lead to the largest civil insurrection in American history outside of the Civil War itself. 120 killed and 2,000 wounded. Hopefully congress will keep this in mind if they reconsider reinstating the draft.

US civilians were subjected to the draft much earlier than that, In 1863 the draft was created and it lead to the largest civil insurrection in American history outside of the Civil War itself. 120 killed and 2,000 wounded. Hopefully congress will keep this in mind if they reconsider reinstating the draft.

"Sob...I swear I love the Troops but please don't make me go". Most lefties couldn't point to Afghanistan on the map but they have developed a self described expertise on the conflict in the Middle East. I doubt if the Greatest Generation had an option to become cannon fodder for Eisenhower but they did it because the media supported the effort. Now that the media is relatively silent about Obama's war the sissies have decided that they won't even consider the relatively safe Air Force or the hyped "global force for good" no matter what.

"Sob...I swear I love the Troops but please don't make me go". Most lefties couldn't point to Afghanistan on the map but they have developed a self described expertise on the conflict in the Middle East. I doubt if the Greatest Generation had an option to become cannon fodder for Eisenhower but they did it because the media supported the effort. Now that the media is relatively silent about Obama's war the sissies have decided that they won't even consider the relatively safe Air Force or the hyped "global force for good" no matter what.

Oh my god, I haven't heard this type of bs since the "My Country Right or Wrong" bumper sticker days. Why are they referred to as the "Greatest Generation", is it because they did not question their president?
The United States is better off with people that ask "why" than the people that follow orders without questions.

Forum List

Back