Draft: Would you go?

Years ago every able bodied male could look forward to at least two years working for Uncle. Elvis served honorably in peace time. Military service turned kids into men in two years. Today we have a bunch of blubber attached to the computer or cell phone without a rational thought in their heads until they get to be 40 years old. Maybe that's what democrats count on for votes.

What we learned from Vietnam is that a draft works better if the nation is understands and supports the war. If they don't the civilians raise a stink and bingo the draft has to be ended. With a volunteer army we pay more and offer benefits but we can always say, you volunteered for this.

I think every person should be required to do two years in the military immediately after high school and before college.

Your idea has merit. First reason is that I think all those young fellows walking about with their boxer shorts on display (the sagging pants fashion phenomenon ) would benefit from spending several years in the military as such service hopefully would help to enlighten them to focus their thinking on more serious issues, and to dress more appropriately. Second reason is that there are a good number of young and apparently healthy men hanging about attempting to get money by panhandling at bus stops, in front of stores, etc. The make nuisances of themselves with their loitering and panhandling, and their time would better spend doing a stint in the military, which would also put some money in their pockets.

To all who answered no: If the draft was in place, how would you get out of it.

To all who answered yes or no....is this really the question? By definition, if you are drafted, you either go, or maybe go to Canada or something.

So the real question is, would you be a conscientious objector if there were a draft, or would you volunteer, if there were not a draft?

Last edited:
If this was 2005 would I go to die in Iraq?

No, I would flee to a country that would give me asylum as a consciouses objector.

I only believe in fighting just wars that we can win.

"Sob...I swear I love the Troops but please don't make me go". Most lefties couldn't point to Afghanistan on the map but they have developed a self described expertise on the conflict in the Middle East. I doubt if the Greatest Generation had an option to become cannon fodder for Eisenhower but they did it because the media supported the effort. Now that the media is relatively silent about Obama's war the sissies have decided that they won't even consider the relatively safe Air Force or the hyped "global force for good" no matter what.

Oh my god, I haven't heard this type of bs since the "My Country Right or Wrong" bumper sticker days. Why are they referred to as the "Greatest Generation", is it because they did not question their president?
The United States is better off with people that ask "why" than the people that follow orders without questions.

America is the "Land of the Free"- for those who follow orders without questioning why. Ask that word and forevermore be an outcast. Freedom without independence. Quite an interesting concept.

I just know that nobody would ever decide that a war was "unjust" and/or unwinnable simply because they had other plans or were just not in the mood to risk getting their ass shot off doing their duty as a citizen. Ask what the country can do for you but how dare anyone ask you for any service to it.

I just know that nobody would ever decide that a war was "unjust" and/or unwinnable simply because they had other plans or were just not in the mood to risk getting their ass shot off doing their duty as a citizen. Ask what the country can do for you but how dare anyone ask you for any service to it.

It is not the duty of a US citizen to get their ass shot off for countries like Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan to name a few. When it comes to wars like these, there is no civic duty to participate.

If this was 2005 would I go to die in Iraq?

No, I would flee to a country that would give me asylum as a consciouses objector.

I only believe in fighting just wars that we can win.

I would say feel free to leave, Unfortunately your type never stays gone. You slink back to the good life as soon as you think it is safe.

It is not the duty of a US citizen to get their ass shot off for countries like Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan to name a few. When it comes to wars like these, there is no civic duty to participate.

Bullshit. It is the citizen's duty to serve if called; not offer lame-ass excuses.
Deciding what wars the Country should fight is far outside your job description. Please feel free to keep your whining to yourself

So if the country had a draft today to fight in the Middle East, would you go?

Hell no!...I enlisted in 1967 and today I could walk along the Vietnam Memorial and tell the short life story of 'kids' I went to school with, played ball with and served with.

A foreign policy predicated on a paranoid fear is dysfunctional and lead to the fiasco in Vietnam and Iraq. Let the shiites and sunnis kill each other as they have done for a thousand years. Not one drop of American blood should be spilled in that conflict.

I feel no obligation to die for the government.

The "war" in the Middle East is a nothing but the result of political games of brinksmanship. No country in the Middle East that we are currently engaged in hostilities with is or ever was a threat to the United States.

So the answer is no I would not go.

The "war" in the Middle East is a nothing but the result of political games of brinksmanship. No country in the Middle East that we are currently engaged in hostilities with is or ever was a threat to the United States.

It's clear what you really "feel." It's the yellow stripe down your back.

It's clear what you really "feel." It's the yellow stripe down your back.

How about FDR's war, WWII?

I served as a volunteer, so I don't know.

I would if were of age have had a very difficult time willing to be drafted for Iraq II invasion when it was quite clear SH was not involved with 9-11 and that he was not a threat to the US.

Still . . . I probably would have submitted to the draft.

Last edited:
If we were being attacked by another nation I wouldn't have to be drafted. I would voluntarily fight for my own nation were we attacked here on our shores. However, if this were a draft instituted to fight someone else'e wars or one like Iraq where we were the aggressors, then no, I would not.

Since this scenario is highly implausible it doesn't really matter anyway.

Forum List

Back