Draft: Would you go?

When I was in basic training there were several mexican guys drafted from San Antonio, Texas in my unit.

They all claimed CO status (conscientious objector) so that they would be assigned as medics and sent back to Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio for training and to be around their families.

Little did they know at the time that having an MOS as a medic was a straight ticket to Vietnam. ... :cool:

Last edited:
Even if I was young enough, I'd qualify as a CO, if there was a draft.

Being CO may not get you out of being drafted. In Vietnam there were more than a few CO medics.

I'd have no problem being a medic, or any other sort of non-combat support.

I have no medical training, though.

They can teach you. Your job is basically sedate and patch up enough to get the wounded person back for medical help.

In '72 I had a very low lottery number so I enlisted before I was drafted.

I like making my own choices. It worked out well.

I believe every young person should serve.

I had a similar experience in 1970. My low lottery number motivated me to join up and serve in the Navy. I served about 2 1/2 years on active duty, all spent at shore stations in the USA. Now that I'm 66 I'm getting a lot of benefit from the VA healthcare system, which fortunately treats non service connected illnesses in veterans.

There are many other ways to serve one's country. If I remember correctly, Romney's boys helped their father in his campaign for president and Romney explained that was like doing military service. I think that's what I would like to do, I mean tour the country campaigning for a future presidnt, but I wouldn't want to leave the country or have to wear a uniform or go to far from home. Well maybe the uniform might be allright if it was like a general's uniform with lots medals.

Richard Nixon, a Republican, ended the Vietnam war, started by a democrat, when I was 17. I was prepared to go. I used to tell people back then that if I got drafted I would go.

I'd go still but I doubt they need a 58 year old.

I was drafted for a senseless war in 1970.

IMO, the draft should only be utilized if our country is attacked and we need to defend our borders.

No to the draft for foreign intervention wars. .. :cool:

I was drafted in 72 just missing Vietnam. I served my time, got out and never looked back.
The draft is wrong for a supposedly free country. The draft runs counter to the US Constitution's 13th amendment which prohibits involuntary servitude. That said. if they were to bring back the draft for Obama's Mid East wars I would not serve (too old) but I would do everything I could to help any draft age men and women avoid the military.

Now if our borders were being attack I don't think you would need a draft because there would be an abundant amount of volunteers.

Last edited:
Even if I was young enough, I'd qualify as a CO, if there was a draft.

Being CO may not get you out of being drafted. In Vietnam there were more than a few CO medics.

But the medics I'm speaking of were by no means all in the rear with the gear. Many were combat medics and went everywhere the infantry did and were killed and wounded just the same. The only difference is they were not issued weapons. Many awards for valor were made to COs including the Medal of Honor.

But the medics I'm speaking of were by no means all in the rear with the gear. Many were combat medics and went everywhere the infantry did and were killed and wounded just the same. The only difference is they were not issued weapons. Many awards for valor were made to COs including the Medal of Honor.

I'm fine with that. Getting shot at isn't the issue for me, it's the shooting people that I'm not OK with.

Unless we go to war with a major adversary like China or Russia there will be no draft. The ONLY reason liberals bring it up is in the hopes they can get protest going since none of their wimpy protests worked against Afghanistan and Iraq.

No.

War is the most stupid thing humans waste their time, energy, money and lives on.

Instead, we need to work on ending it.

How would I get out of it?

Hell if I know.

In my day (Vietnam), guys worked in hospitals taking care of the poor victims of the utter stupidity of war. Or, they left the country.

Canada got some of our best and brightest.

There are many other ways to serve one's country. If I remember correctly, Romney's boys helped their father in his campaign for president and Romney explained that was like doing military service. I think that's what I would like to do, I mean tour the country campaigning for a future presidnt, but I wouldn't want to leave the country or have to wear a uniform or go to far from home. Well maybe the uniform might be allright if it was like a general's uniform with lots medals.

Romneu didn't serve either.

He hid out in Paris, living in the lap of luxury.

Fact is, its the poor who defend their country and then pay the price for the rest of their lives.

No.

War is the most stupid thing humans waste their time, energy, money and lives on.

Instead, we need to work on ending it.

How would I get out of it?

Hell if I know.

In my day (Vietnam), guys worked in hospitals taking care of the poor victims of the utter stupidity of war. Or, they left the country.

Canada got some of our best and brightest.

And most irresponsible and self-centered. I don't mind that they left but they should never have been allowed to come back.

Thanks for posting this.

People don't know the service that CO's did for their country.

New Topics

Forum List

Back