Dozens Arrested in Raids to Stem Illegal Influx of Kosovars

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
BERLIN — The police in seven countries, trying to stanch the mass migration of Kosovars through Serbia and into the European Union, arrested 77 people accused of running a smuggling operation, the European authorities said on Wednesday.

...Facilitators charged 2,800 euros, or $3,080 per person, or €7,000 for a whole family to be smuggled from Kosovo, through Serbia and into Hungary, where some claimed asylum. Others were smuggled onward in vehicles through Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Germany and Austria to final destinations in Switzerland, Italy and France, Europol and Eurojust said in a statement.

Authorities in the destination countries have mounted a strong campaign against migration from Kosovo and even sent their own police officers to the Serbian-Hungarian border to stop the flow.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/w...tion=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article

I came across several articles that had more detailed information but I can't remember where I went.

Found one:
High hopes in migration turn into even more disappointment
Western countries, in which many Kosovo citizens sought refuge particularly in the last months, have already started deporting Kosovar emigrants and their return is done continuously, though not with a great pomp, as was actually required by Kosovar authorities.

The intention behind such a request by many of our officials was bluntly said to be that “by them sending back, the European countries will help convince Kosovars that there is no asylum for them”, a request which in fact unveiled the incapability of Kosovar authorities to stop the surge of migrations to Western countries.
English KosovaLive360

Forum List

Back