Doolittle Raid brilliant strategy or desperate risk

We just passed the 70'th anniversary of Doolittle's daring raid on 4/18/42. Did it have an unintended consequence of galvanizing the Japanese civilians support for the war? By all accounts the raid was just a symbolic propaganda operation designed to bolster the confidence of the American public in the black early days of the war when the entire Philippine Army was forced to surrender at Corrigador and Battan. I expect if you got into Adml Halsey's mind back then you would probably hear grumbling about risking a Carrier on a propaganda mission. After sighting a couple of Japanese boats and fearing an attack Halsey forced the bombers to launch several hundred miles before their scheduled takeoff virtually dooming the courageous pilots to death by crashing or execution.

Meanwhile, back on the topic...every August when America replays the use of the atomic bomb to stop the Japanese, we always seem to reflect on it like Hamlet. We always seem to be afflicted with this mental flaw, eternal doubt that our actions weren’t right and didn’t quite fit the situation. Doolittle did a darn good job, but it wasn’t enough. The Japanese were trying to build an empire and they were slaughtering innumerable innocent people to build that empire. The Japanese deserved every blow upon their heads they got, up to and including the use of atomic weapons TO STOP THEM.

So in your opinion, hundreds of thousands of civilians deserved to die like that?

You liberals just can't bring yourselves to stop lying about that banner, can you?

The banner is a symbol and a reminder of a useless war that we will be paying for some time to come. But you're right about the banner, if it weren't for the banner we would be using the picture of Bush in his flight suit to symbolize the event. Thank you crew for the banner.

No, it's just another example of bumper-sticker dishonesty by far left simpletons like yourself.

Well you may be right, there is some similarity to Bush's sign and a bumper sticker. But I didn't use it, Bush did. I wonder if any of our other presidents would have tolerated that sign or gone through the carrier landing bit?

The banner is a symbol and a reminder of a useless war that we will be paying for some time to come. But you're right about the banner, if it weren't for the banner we would be using the picture of Bush in his flight suit to symbolize the event. Thank you crew for the banner.

No, it's just another example of bumper-sticker dishonesty by far left simpletons like yourself.

Well you may be right, there is some similarity to Bush's sign and a bumper sticker. But I didn't use it, Bush did. I wonder if any of our other presidents would have tolerated that sign or gone through the carrier landing bit?

When was the last time a democrat president could have flown a fighter jet?

If that's the criteria for being president, this nation is in big trouble. Even Kennedy didn't believe that one must be able to command a PT boat to be president, or FDR to be a cripple, or Grant to be buried in Grant's tomb.

If that's the criteria for being president, this nation is in big trouble. Even Kennedy didn't believe that one must be able to command a PT boat to be president, or FDR to be a cripple, or Grant to be buried in Grant's tomb.

Who said anything about a "criteria" fool? Try reading more carefully. Oh, and FDR's biggest handicap was that he was a moral cripple.

Who said anything about a "criteria" fool? Try reading more carefully. Oh, and FDR's biggest handicap was that he was a moral cripple.

Yes, that should have been criterion not criteria. The moral cripple you speak of was rated America's greatest president by 238 noted historians and presidential experts. In addition, the American people elected FDR four times, a record that might last for some time. But you have rated FDR a moral cripple so I have a choice, go with the noted historians and the American people's judgement or yours. Hard choice.

Typical liberal, playing the apologist for perhaps the greatest villain to ever soil the office of the Presidency. There is no crime that can't be excused as long as it was committed by a democrat. You are a complete disgrace.

Forum List

Back