Don't Try to Tell Me...

That all American public schools are terrible, because it's just not true. There are many, many thousands of students and families from around the world flocking to our shores to attend school in the US - yes, in our public schools as well. Many of these students are from some of the same countries against which the US is so unfavorably compared educationally.

All are not, but the system is totally infected with nonsensical politically Progressive behavior modification programs right down to the kindergarten level, displacing the more academic material, such as American history.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

How long have you been a teacher?

One need not be a teacher to know the system particulars. Most curriculum information is available online, and results are plain to see.

Also, my wife was in the public system for years.

That all American public schools are terrible, because it's just not true. There are many, many thousands of students and families from around the world flocking to our shores to attend school in the US - yes, in our public schools as well. Many of these students are from some of the same countries against which the US is so unfavorably compared educationally.

All are not, but the system is totally infected with nonsensical politically Progressive behavior modification programs right down to the kindergarten level, displacing the more academic material, such as American history.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

One need not be a teacher to know the system particulars. ....

So...never? Your answer is "never"?

You, as someone who brings up language, should be able to figure it out. People in those countries you mention spend gobs of money to send their kids to a local school with a curriculum in English.

And?
And they are not going to the US for a quality education, ......

Yes, they are. It's exactly why they come. I interact with such students and their families every day.
You remain clueless Unk......

On the contrary, I am the only one of the two of us who actually knows what he's talking about.

One anecdote about a family member - which you are unqualified to interpret - does not stand up against the hundreds and hundreds of students and their families with whom I have discussed this very subject (here and in their countries of origin many, many times over many, many years). Accept that you are wrong and move on.

You, as someone who brings up language, should be able to figure it out. People in those countries you mention spend gobs of money to send their kids to a local school with a curriculum in English.

And?

Yes, they are. It's exactly why they come. I interact with such students and their families every day.

On the contrary, I am the only one of the two of us who actually knows what he's talking about.

One anecdote about a family member - which you are unqualified to interpret - does not stand up against the hundreds and hundreds of students and their families with whom I have discussed this very subject (here and in their countries of origin many, many times over many, many years). Accept that you are wrong and move on.
Your OP was based on magical thinking. As someone who has at least a tenuous grasp of the importance of the English language to success in today's world, the fallacy of your premise that students from countries with advanced educational systems come here for quality education should be self-evident. While I agree that the advanced public education offered in the US is often competitive, secondary school is certainly not. One only has to look at the posters on this site.

And why, of all things, is my anecdote regarding my personal experience less valid then yours?

As with other things you opine on, you fly off the deep end with often idiotic conviction.

Your OP was based on magical thinking......

It was based on many, many years of experience and direct testimony from hundreds and hundreds of families as to why they have, are, or want to enroll their children in American schools (including public).

....... As someone who has at least a tenuous grasp of the importance of the English language to success in today's world,......

Something else you understand much, much less well than I do.

........ the fallacy of your premise that students from countries with advanced educational systems come here for quality education should be self-evident......

It's not a fallacy, it's a fact. The reality of hundreds and hundreds of real families puts the lie to your assumptions and prejudice.

It was based on many, many years of experience and direct testimony from hundreds and hundreds of families as to why they have, are, or want to enroll their children in American schools (including public).
Oh shut up you little twit. People from backwaters want to enroll their kids in American schools, but the only reason anyone would from a country with advanced educational systems would be to improve their English.

We both fucking know that. You're just weird Unk.

And why, of all things, is my anecdote regarding my personal experience less valid then yours?......

Because your experience is nonexistent in quantitative comparison, and you lack the training, experience, and reasoning ability to accurately interpret even your minor anecdote.

.... People from backwaters want to enroll their kids in American schools, but the only reason anyone would from a country with advanced educational systems would be to improve their English.

We both fucking know that. You're just weird Unk.

You're just wrong, schmuck.

I am telling you that many, many hundreds and hundreds of families of means from some of the very countries against which the US is so often so unfavorably compared expend considerable time, energy, and resources to have their children educated in the US. FACT.

And why, of all things, is my anecdote regarding my personal experience less valid then yours?......

Because your experience is nonexistent in quantitative comparison, and you lack the training, experience, and reasoning ability to accurately interpret even your minor anecdote.
Arrogance, coupled with limited intellect is not a formidable proposition at the best of times. You started with a ridiculous premise that you've tried to cover with your silly "years and years of experience and training".

Kiss my ass, and baya con dios you silly little man.

No, it's not.

Yes, it is.

One need not be a teacher to know the system particulars. ....

So...never? Your answer is "never"?

In the public system? No. I would not subject myself to such nonsense.

I was once asked about substituting in the local district by one who worked within it. I asked her why she would want my picture in the paper? :laugh:

BTW, I have been a teacher. I've worked with thousands of school-age kids. I know the score.

For the life of me, I don't understand the basis for your argument. We are the most prosperous nation in the world. You can't judge the quality of anything we have on the basis of how desirable it is to those who aren't from the most prosperous country in the world. It's just a totally boneheaded way of looking at anything.

Now, I don't believe ALL public schools are terrible. Nor are ALL public school teachers awful. Some are very good... some are absolutely awesome. What Conservatives support is SCHOOL CHOICE... not elimination of all public education! So try to pull your head out of your ass and understand that point. What WE are arguing is that CHOICE enables competition which fosters an environment of striving for excellence. While we DO have some great public schools, we also have some terrible ones... while we DO have some awesome public school teachers, we also have deplorable ones. We can't do anything about the bad ones because they are protected in a bureaucratic system of tenure and public policy. In a system of choice, where elements of free market capitalism introduce competition for the market share, the bad schools and teachers are weeded out and we end up with an overall better education system. This isn't rocket science.

The question that should be asked is WHY are so many people vehemently opposed to you having a CHOICE in where your children are educated? .......I'll tell you why...... Because the Democrap Party is inextricably tied to Teacher's Unions! ...And really, that is it in a nutshell.

Forum List

Back