Domestication of endangered species

DarkLion

Rookie
Apr 7, 2013
I think that is the only answer left to save the endangered species. It's painfully obvious humans are not going to curtail their populations growth, certainly not in time to preserve enough habitat for most endangered species to flourish.

And it could be done. Already we've seen foxes completely domesticated within a century, and few animals are as wild and cunning as a fox. So with aggressive selective breeding, I see no reason why we could not domesticate most endangered species within 100-200 years. Rather than spend all of this money on losing battles to keep them in the wild, we should be funding research and development of these species into pets and livestock.

It's sad. I'm much rather them be wild, and by domesticating them they would be dying in a certain way, after all the "wolf" in most dogs is so repressed that it's pretty much dead. But still, I'd rather see lions as pets than to see them wiped off the face of the earth entirely.

I see this as the only real option to saving them, because it's obvious one day the world will be covered with people and there won't be any land left for wild creatures. I just hope I'm long dead when that day comes.

There are organizations that actually have the right idea. Like Nature Conservancy.. They work with land owners to get access and easements into sensitive environments..

Just because human populations increase, it doesn't mean that ENOUGH land can't be reserved for threatened species. Proper studies and good choice of land can do wonders to keep species wild.

Most landowners will do the right thing if they feel like it enhances their lives..
When Africa started to privatize the game preserves, landowners learned that they can make a living by PRESERVING wildlife.. All sensitive species did better under those rules than they did when the land was held "in public commons"..

Don't panic. Work for solutions..

Forum List

Back