Dogs refuse to eat vegan "meat"...

Even with these inflated meat prices I can feed our golden retriever great food for less than a dollar a day with only 2hrs. of effort a month.

Ol Sawyer (the dog) wont even eat processed meat let alone the completely phony stuff..

Yet another anti-vegan proselytizing thread. Seriously. Who are you trying to convince?

Dogs are omnivores, not carnivores.

In fact, one of the longest living dogs in the world, Bramble from the UK, was vegan from birth. He was in the Guinness book of world records at that time. He lived to be over 25 years.

Fast forward to 4:34

When was the last tie you saw a dog loping through a corn field and taking down a corn stalk to eat an ear of corn?

Do you know what goes into modern dog food

At least it's made to appeal to a dogs tastes.

And throwing some bologna or ham on top of it makes the dog gun for it even quicker.

That or whatever else we were eating for dinner.

In fact, one of the longest living dogs in the world, Bramble from the UK, was vegan from birth. She was in the Guinness book of world records at that time. She lived to be over 25 years.

My dog growing up was fed chocolate, oreos, cookies, bologna, grapes, and whatever we were eating and lived to 21 or so.

One example doesn't make a trend.

In fact, one of the longest living dogs in the world, Bramble from the UK, was vegan from birth. She was in the Guinness book of world records at that time. She lived to be over 25 years.

Actually dogs ARE carnivores, there several categories of carnivore. Obligate carnivores (like cats) depend on 100% meet for diet, hyper carnivores require 70% meat.

Another point of confusion people have here is what’s the difference between mesocarnivores and omnivores if both can eat meat and plants in a 50/50 ratio? The key distinction here is that mesocarnivores need at least 50% of their diet to be comprised of meat and will happily go well above 50% whenever they can. Omnivores, on the other hand, can go on either a mostly meat diet or a mostly plant diet with little to no issue.

I don’t think a single example of a vegan dog is a reason to make a dog vegan (if that is what you are suggesting). We need to respect the nature of the animals we choose to live with.

When was the last tie you saw a dog loping through a corn field and taking down a corn stalk to eat an ear of corn?

I haven't seen taking down a corn stalk, but I know a dog who has a hobby of finding figs that fell from the fig tree to snack on them. :D

But anyway, my point was simply that dogs are omnivores, not carnivores. And that they can thrive on a plantbased diet, as the story of Bramble shows (see the video I posted in my previous post.) And she's not the only one, there are many others who thrive on a plantbased diet.

Actually dogs ARE carnivores, there several categories of carnivore. Obligate carnivores (like cats) depend on 100% meet for diet, hyper carnivores require 70% meat.

Another point of confusion people have here is what’s the difference between mesocarnivores and omnivores if both can eat meat and plants in a 50/50 ratio? The key distinction here is that mesocarnivores need at least 50% of their diet to be comprised of meat and will happily go well above 50% whenever they can. Omnivores, on the other hand, can go on either a mostly meat diet or a mostly plant diet with little to no issue.

I don’t think a single example of a vegan dog is a reason to make a dog vegan (if that is what you are suggesting). We need to respect the nature of the animals we choose to live with.

Bramble is not the only one. Nearly 99% of the world's population is non-vegan, so obviously most people are not going to feed their dogs a 100% plantbased diet, hence less dogs like Bramble. But all of them prove what some of us already knew, dogs are omnivores, not carnivores.

Bramble is not the only one. Nearly 99% of the world's population is non-vegan, so obviously most people are not going to feed their dogs a 100% plantbased diet, hence less dogs like Bramble. But all of them prove what some of us already knew, dogs are omnivores, not carnivores.
Science deniers 😂

Fair enough, here is an article I just found and read from Tufts (a source I trust for animal information) that largely agrees with you: Vegan Dogs – A healthy lifestyle or going against nature?

It does give the pro’s and con’s - pros being a dog can do well on a vegan diet and cons being it is difficult to design a vegan diet that will meet a dog’s needs (and forget it for cats).

I prefer to respect the nature of the animals I live when It comes to what I feed them (though I stop short of offering deer poop and road kill).

Forum List

Back