Dog got me last night..

My friend flew in from Seattle and I went to meet him last night. He's got a sweet job at Microsoft. Damn..he lost a ton of weight..

We had a lot of fun..and when I came home the dog left a nice little reminder all over the living room floor about how much he misses me when I leave. He tore up the sofa again. I was pissed and layed into him pretty good. Of course he didn't take it lying down and tore into my hand. Crap..hurts like a mother today. One of the cuts was so deep white shit was coming out. Probably could use some stitching.

Anyway..house is cleaned up..dog is pacified..but my hand still smarts.

::Groan::

Can't say I feel too sorry for you, Sallow. You can't hit your dog.

But you can shoot the bitch.

no use beating a dog....esp for something they have done....dogs live in the moment...you can train a dog but you should not being beating a dog like that....

and now he has bitten you....that is not a good sign...*moving right hand behind her to hide scars*
but mine are from feral puppies and such...when i remove them from a cage they tend to snap...

and no article smacking a puppy for a chewed up shoe..doesnt work.....unless they are chewing on the shoe right then...even then i would not smack it ...

every time you interact with a dog...one of you is being trained and i prefer it be the dog...

sure when you come in and the house is trashed...you get upset....but dont lash out like that...

hope it doesnt get infected
go back and read what he actually posted
i dont believe he actually "beat" the dog, but he used poor wording in what he said
i've known sallow for many years and even though i don't agree with him much on politics, he has never given me the impression he would be cruel to an animal

True, he didn't say anything about "beating" any dogs. He expressed a preference for shooting them in the head

"Had my dog bit me like that, I would have taken him out in the yard and shot him in the head. "

And Sallow has admitted to being cruel to his pet

I have kept dogs off and on most of my life and I must admit I have whacked every one of them at one time or another.I know a lot of people disagree with this but I have to tell you, it works.Anyone who has kept dogs has had occassion to smack them, if you say you haven't it would go against the grain to say I believe you.

In wingnut world, when you discipline your dog, and it bites you in response, it means "it works"!!:cuckoo:

The proof that it doesn't work is that the dog bit him. Hitting the dog didn't stop the dog from biting him. In wingnut world, that means "It works!!":cuckoo:

depends on the dog roomy....i can smack my dobie and he thinks we are playin....kolher would approve his teaching methods called for a toss chain..but that is now what is done with sounds...i never embraced the clicker methods...and i have used an electric collar.

Ahhh, now you're making sense.

Of course the dog knows she is in trouble. She has an abusive owner.

:rolleyes: That's an idiotic response...par for the course from sangha the obtuse.

What idiotic about it?

Your dog has learned that if there is garbage on the floor when you come home, you're going to abuse the dog.

The dog doesnt' know WHY you're abusing it. It only knows that when you come home, you will abuse the dog if there is a mess.

Pavlovs' dogs didn't know WHY they were fed right after the bell rang. All they knew was that the bell was followed by food.

If you want to teach the dog to not go into the trash, you have to discipline the dog while, or immediately after, he goes into the trash.

Hmmm, Ok, that is a different way of looking at it.

You're saying the dog doesn't remember how the trash got on the floor, but does remember that I'm going to get angry if there is trash on the floor when I get home.

I'm not sure I buy it, but I am intrigued.

Easy enough to test your hypothesis. Probably not right away but after I test it, I'll post the results here.

Next time the dog gets in the trash, the next day I'll put trash on the floor...if I come home and the dog slinks around, your theory will be confirmed, but if she doesn't, this myth will be busted.

See any glaring flaws in this experiment?

Last edited:
depends on the dog roomy....i can smack my dobie and he thinks we are playin....kolher would approve his teaching methods called for a toss chain..but that is now what is done with sounds...i never embraced the clicker methods...and i have used an electric collar.

Thanks Bones.The board idiot will probably now feel the need to accuse you of animal cruelty, I know you can kick the retard into touch but he does become a pain in the arse.

no use beating a dog....esp for something they have done....dogs live in the moment...you can train a dog but you should not being beating a dog like that....

and now he has bitten you....that is not a good sign...*moving right hand behind her to hide scars*
but mine are from feral puppies and such...when i remove them from a cage they tend to snap...

and no article smacking a puppy for a chewed up shoe..doesnt work.....unless they are chewing on the shoe right then...even then i would not smack it ...

every time you interact with a dog...one of you is being trained and i prefer it be the dog...

sure when you come in and the house is trashed...you get upset....but dont lash out like that...

Do you have house dogs Bones, or just working dogs?

Typical wingnut can't dispute what's been said, so he's going to fish around for something to personally attack SB with

:rolleyes: Jump to conclusions much, idiotboy?

The fact is I respect Bones' opinion and was going to inquire as to her thoughts on our discussion.

:rolleyes: That's an idiotic response...par for the course from sangha the obtuse.

What idiotic about it?

Your dog has learned that if there is garbage on the floor when you come home, you're going to abuse the dog.

The dog doesnt' know WHY you're abusing it. It only knows that when you come home, you will abuse the dog if there is a mess.

Pavlovs' dogs didn't know WHY they were fed right after the bell rang. All they knew was that the bell was followed by food.

If you want to teach the dog to not go into the trash, you have to discipline the dog while, or immediately after, he goes into the trash.

Your saying the dog doesn't remember how the trash got on the floor, but does remember that I'm going to get angry if there is trash on the floor when I get home.

Easy enough no test your hypothesis. Probably no right away but after I test it, I'll post the results here.

Next time the dog gets in the trash, the next day I'll put trash on the floor...if I come home and the dog slinks around, your theory will be confirmed, but if she doesn't, this myth will be busted.

You've got it pretty close. The dog might remember how the trash got on the floor, but the dog won't connect the dots. When a dog is punished, it thinks it is being punished for what is going on at the time it is punished, not for what it did hours ago.

Dogs learn mainly through association, not reasoning things out. Pavlov's dogs were fed after a bell had rung, so the dogs learned to associate the bell with food. They never asked themselves why the bell caused food to be put into their bowl. They just learned that "Bell = food".

It's why some dogs are afraid of certain "types" of people, and not other people. If a dog is abused by a man with a mustache, he may learn to fear men with mustaches, and trust those without mustaches, even though the mustache has nothing to do with the punishment.

i dont believe he actually "beat" the dog, but he used poor wording in what he said
i've known sallow for many years and even though i don't agree with him much on politics, he has never given me the impression he would be cruel to an animal

True, he didn't say anything about "beating" any dogs. He expressed a preference for shooting them in the head

"Had my dog bit me like that, I would have taken him out in the yard and shot him in the head. "

again you are confusing what SOMEONE ELSE Said with what Sallow said

What idiotic about it?

You're saying the dog doesn't remember how the trash got on the floor, but does remember that I'm going to get angry if there is trash on the floor when I get home.

Easy enough to test your hypothesis. Probably not right away but after I test it, I'll post the results here.

Yes. My statement that your dogs' response when you come home is due to the trash being on the floor may not be true in your specific case. It could be that you have a "tell" that the dog picks up on, like a facial expression, etc.

The proof that punishing the dog hours later doesn't work is that the dog gets into the trash. If your approach worked, the dog wouldn't be going in the trash

The best to prove my case is to get yourself a remote cam (your computer may be good enough) and a remote-controlled horn. Set the cam up so you can monitor the garbage can, and put the horn in the trash. Leave the room, and monitor the cam. When the dog approaches the trash can, give him a good blast on the horn

You should be able to train your dog to not go into the trash in one day using this method. It is highly effective which is why noted dog trainers, like Cesar Millan (who uses physical discipline) and Victoria Stillwell (who is strongly opposed to the use of physical discipline) highlight this training method on their shows.

Thanks Bones.The board idiot will probably now feel the need to accuse you of animal cruelty, I know you can kick the retard into touch but he does become a pain in the arse.

If wingnuts didn't make stuff up. they'd have nothing to say

Neither I, nor anyone else, has criticized painless slapping of a dog during play.

What idiotic about it?

Yes. My statement that your dogs' response when you come home is due to the trash being on the floor may not be true in your specific case. It could be that you have a "tell" that the dog picks up on, like a facial expression, etc.

The proof that punishing the dog hours later doesn't work is that the dog gets into the trash. If your approach worked, the dog wouldn't be going in the trash

The best to prove my case is to get yourself a remote cam (your computer may be good enough) and a remote-controlled horn. Set the cam up so you can monitor the garbage can, and put the horn in the trash. Leave the room, and monitor the cam. When the dog approaches the trash can, give him a good blast on the horn

You should be able to train your dog to not go into the trash in one day using this method. It is highly effective which is why noted dog trainers, like Cesar Millan (who uses physical discipline) and Victoria Stillwell (who is strongly opposed to the use of physical discipline) highlight this training method on their shows.

You are the thickest bastard ever to troll these boards and that is no mean feat:lol:

No, Missourian never said he would beat a dog. He did say that he would shoot the dog if it bit him. Sallow did not say this, and I did not say that Sallow said this

And Sallow has admitted to abusing his dog. He just can't admit that his behavior is abuse.

No, Missourian never said he would beat a dog. He did say that he would shoot the dog if it bit him. Sallow did not say this, and I did not say that Sallow said this

And Sallow has admitted to abusing his dog. He just can't admit that his behavior is abuse.
you responded to MY post that only mentioned sallow with that comment and you made NO MENTION of anyone else
and he did NOT admit to abusing his dog

and i have some news for you, many of the people you are attacking in here are not conservatives

I have no idea why you think dog training issues would split along liberal and conservative lines.:cuckoo:

What idiotic about it?

The dog only gets in the trash like once a year...something overcomes her conditioning, but I swear...she knows she is in trouble. She's a border collie mutt, exceptionally intelligent.

Anyhow, this is a good post, if you handled discussion like this instead of immediately going on the attack, you would better get your point across instead of turning people off right away and accomplishing nothing.

Forum List

Back