Does this man look black to you?

Most creoles don't talk like most blacks. The closest thing they sound like is cajuns.

I can understand them pretty good. It's similar to like here, but different..
I do not know why, since I never asked him, but I do not recall him having an accent from Louisiana either. He easily could pass for white.

I do not know why, since I never asked him, but I do not recall him having an accent from Louisiana either. He easily could pass for white.
Maybe his parents were military. I can tell where somebody's from by listening to them about 90% of the time.

Most creoles don't talk like most blacks. The closest thing they sound like is cajuns.

Creoles and Cajuns have a way of speaking all their own. It's influenced by French.

I can understand them pretty good. It's similar to like here, but different..

Idk..'round here..crackers and blacks pretty much speak the same language. It's the outsiders that don't.

And yeah, we know who each other are, and who ain't us real quick.

Do you drink a bottle of pop with the foam on top and carry it in a paper sack bag?

Maybe his parents were military. I can tell where somebody's from by listening to them about 90% of the time.

I was at a reunion in Minneapolis a couple years ago and was sitting on the veranda smoking. A middle aged lady sit down beside me and we started talking. After listening to her talk I asked "What part of Tennessee are you from?" and she said "Maryville, how did you know?' I said she used words that a friend from Maryville used about 60 years ago. She asked what his name was and I said, Jimmy Strickland and she said "OMG, he's my uncle." Small world but I also can generally tell where a person is from by their accent.

I was at a reunion in Minneapolis a couple years ago and was sitting on the veranda smoking. A middle aged lady sit down beside me and we started talking. After listening to her talk I asked "What part of Tennessee are you from?" and she said "Maryville, how did you know?' I said she used words that a friend from Maryville used about 60 years ago. She asked what his name was and I said, Jimmy Strickland and she said "OMG, he's my uncle." Small world but I also can generally tell where a person is from by their accent.
Omg, I had a friend from Maryville. She looked like a female Ernest P. Worrell.

Did I get his name right? Oh, she was a character!

Last edited:
Was her name Vern or Ethel?
Idk what her real name was, tbh. I know it wasn't what we called her.

Actually I did know, but that was so long ago I forgot. Oh, she'd tell ya just how it was.

Oh yeah, she was precious!

I wouldn't be surprised if Ernest P. was from Maryville.

Last edited:
People make errors is why. He had fired the clerk that I took the job of due to the clerk talking out loud and being overheard that was racist nonsense. Some judge the book by the cover. Frankly he could pass for a white man.
Thanks for the explanation.
From the photo, his features are of an African American.

If he looked White in person, as you knew him personally, that is different.

I would not say difference. I would say who immediately judges a black by some feature. Captain Ricard had blue eye I think and did not use the dialogue of blacks that is so common. Frankly he was quite intelligent.
Wow, tell me you're a racist without telling me you're a racist?

Thanks for the explanation.
From the photo, his features are of an African American.

If he looked White in person, as you knew him personally, that is different.
His former clerk must have missed it since he ended up being fired from the job over making racist remarks. I talked to him every day and gave race no thought of any kind.

Since I was only an E4 at the time, it took many months for me to learn much about him that was personal about him. When I called him on the phone long after leaving the Army, for me and him, He told he he had a son who was in the Army as an officer I believe. I am trying to recall when it was I talked to him. He told me after he retired, he checked out areas of the USA for a place to call home. I told him I lived then in the SF Bay Area and was a Real Estate Broker. He said he had been to my area but did not want to spend that kind of money to live there. So he settled I think at Corpus Christi but when he died he had moved to a different town. I peeked at his home on the net and it was a very nice brick home that was close to 3,000 sq ft. After his time in the Army he was a teacher at a college.

Why would I?
I regret that you talked without knowing what you are talking about. But you are to be congratulated for honestly telling me you do not know the story.

I regret that you talked without knowing what you are talking about. But you are to be congratulated for honestly telling me you do not know the story.
I don't read everything placed on this forum. You may of course do so and continue to whine about who doesn't want to read your crap.

Forum List

Back