Does this man look black to you?

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
This man passed away in 2019. Today (10/22/23) I learned of his death. (RIP Lt. Col Ricard)
The photo I post was him when he was a Lt, before I met him. When I worked for Felix Ricard, he was a Captain in the Army and the Commanding officer of the unit I was in. I was his company clerk so I was around him daily. Felix was an enlisted man in the Korean War and put in to go to OCS. So he knew both sides of an EM and Officer. Question for any of you.

Can you tell he is a Black man? He was Creole from Louisiana . I post this in his memory. He was great to me and I never forgot him. I worked for him from October 1962 until the fall of 1963.

photo_20190105_W0023718_0_20190105.jpgx

This man passed away in 2019. Today (10/22/23) I learned of his death. (RIP Lt. Col Ricard)
The photo I post was him when he was a Lt, before I met him. When I worked for Felix Ricard, he was a Captain in the Army and the Commanding officer of the unit I was in. I was his company clerk so I was around him daily. Felix was an enlisted man in the Korean War and put in to go to OCS. So he knew both sides of an EM and Officer. Question for any of you.

Can you tell he is a Black man? He was Creole from Louisiana . I post this in his memory. He was great to me and I never forgot him. I worked for him from October 1962 until the fall of 1963.

Why do you ask exactly that question?
What is the point of it?

Some of the best officers I knew were mustangs.

My condolences.

What difference does it make?

Yes, I can tell he's black. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

I'm sure you could tell he was black by the way he talked.

I have Creole buddies from Louisiana who resemble him that I have known since '64. One of my favorites just died last month.

I have Creole buddies from Louisiana who resemble him that I have known since '64. One of my favorites just died last month.
I got my job working for him as his clerk in an unusual way. First I was supposed to be assigned to one of the line combat companies. The First Sgt looked at my file and decided he wanted me in HQ&HQ company. First I had a high intelligence score and he wanted me for that. Also in both Basic Training and AIT the Army assigned me as a Platoon Sgt, though I was a recruit. I was issued a black arm band with SGT stripes on it. I was not the only basic training man to have those issued to us. The Army was short handed of the regular army trainers so we were selected for our jobs by I presume the Company Commander. Well when I got to germany this impressed the 1st Sgt. My first job handed to me was as the jeep driver for the Commanding officer. So he knew me already. He had a clerk but the clerk was heard making racist remarks and got fired. So I was next. Well Captain Ricard did not have me doing any of the shit jobs others had to do. I never had to serve in the Mess hall, or do guard duty and in short I was to be constantly at the beck and call of the CO. Also they pulled me out of a room with around 8 men in it and handed me a room that same size but I was the only person using the room. I had a desk there and somewhat of a library.

So from then on I had it made. Rank also came very fast for me.

I had a chance to talk on the phone to him when he lived in TX and so I called him. And he was very kind. But he told me he could not recall me. But he did recall the first sergeant and we chatted about him a bit. By the time I talked to him, I had been out of the army for well over 40 years. So him forgetting me was no sweat. He told me after Germany he was sent to Vietnam. I am pleased I never got sent there.

Yes, I can tell he's black. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

I'm sure you could tell he was black by the way he talked.
No, the then Captain Ricard did not talk like most Blacks. He also was very demanding in a nice way about type errors. He could spot instantly any misspelled words.

What difference does it make?
I would not say difference. I would say who immediately judges a black by some feature. Captain Ricard had blue eye I think and did not use the dialogue of blacks that is so common. Frankly he was quite intelligent.

No, the then Captain Ricard did not talk like most Blacks. He also was very demanding in a nice way about type errors. He could spot instantly any misspelled words.
Most creoles don't talk like most blacks. The closest thing they sound like is cajuns.

Creoles and Cajuns have a way of speaking all their own. It's influenced by French.

I can understand them pretty good. It's similar to like here, but different..

Idk..'round here..crackers and blacks pretty much speak the same language. It's the outsiders that don't.

And yeah, we know who each other are, and who ain't us real quick.

Last edited:
Why do you ask exactly that question?
What is the point of it?
People make errors is why. He had fired the clerk that I took the job of due to the clerk talking out loud and being overheard that was racist nonsense. Some judge the book by the cover. Frankly he could pass for a white man.

Most creoles don't talk like most blacks. The closest thing they sound like is cajuns.

I can understand them pretty good. It's similar to like here, but different..
I do not know why, since I never asked him, but I do not recall him having an accent from Louisiana either. He easily could pass for white.

Forum List

Back