Does the act of not voting invalidate one's political opinions?

This thread is in response to a post by Grampa Murked U.

No vote = keep your opinion to yourself imo

I decided several months ago that come November I was not going to bother to vote in the general election. I can't vote for either Obama or Romney, since they're essentially clones of one another, and while I might throw Gary Johnson a vote if there was another race, such as Senate or House, that had a candidate worth supporting he isn't good enough on his own to warrant taking the time out of my day to go vote for him.

So should my opinion be invalidated despite the fact that my decision not to vote is as principled as anybody's decision to vote, and not simply motivated by apathy?

The short answer to your question is yes. Because theoretically you should vote for the person whom you think would make the best ____________.

However that would, to me, mean writing in someone else's name; other than those on the ballot if necessary. I think one of my co-workers would be a great leader; maybe I should write her name in?

I guess the point is that you should vote for someone but given that we have 160,000,000 people voting or so, writing in Priscilla Myers name is probably not going to tip the balance of power. But you can at least say you voted for the best person in your mind.

I decided several months ago that come November I was not going to bother to vote in the general election. I can't vote for either Obama or Romney, since they're essentially clones of one another, and while I might throw Gary Johnson a vote if there was another race, such as Senate or House, that had a candidate worth supporting he isn't good enough on his own to warrant taking the time out of my day to go vote for him.

So should my opinion be invalidated despite the fact that my decision not to vote is as principled as anybody's decision to vote, and not simply motivated by apathy?

The short answer to your question is yes. Because theoretically you should vote for the person whom you think would make the best ____________.

However that would, to me, mean writing in someone else's name; other than those on the ballot if necessary. I think one of my co-workers would be a great leader; maybe I should write her name in?

I guess the point is that you should vote for someone but given that we have 160,000,000 people voting or so, writing in Priscilla Myers name is probably not going to tip the balance of power. But you can at least say you voted for the best person in your mind.

I think this assumes that voting is in and of itself a virtue, but I think that's a false assumption. Sure I could go and write in somebody's name on the basis that I believe they'd make a great President, but that vote would literally be thrown in the garbage, or just deleted these days, so how is that any different from not voting? Self-satisfaction? That doesn't strike me as a particularly good reason to go out and vote.

the act of voting is a smuch of a right as expressing your opinion. It is easy to say the if you don't vote don't bitch about the outcome. And it is easy to say that any vote would be a vote for something that you despise or disagree with. I am of the opinion that not voting IS a vote for what you dislike most. I think that you should write yourself in on the ballot and cast that ballot. it will at least make a statement, as opposed to doing nothing and screaming with silence.

the act of voting is a smuch of a right as expressing your opinion. It is easy to say the if you don't vote don't bitch about the outcome. And it is easy to say that any vote would be a vote for something that you despise or disagree with. I am of the opinion that not voting IS a vote for what you dislike most. I think that you should write yourself in on the ballot and cast that ballot. it will at least make a statement, as opposed to doing nothing and screaming with silence.

Writing myself, or anybody else in, has the same effect as not voting. Write-ins are merely discounted and thrown in the trash. They're not counted at all. So who am I making a statement to? A random poll worker who may or may not see who I voted for as they delete my vote? And the only statement that it could possibly make, as far as I can tell, is that I enjoy wasting my time.

Of course not. A political opinion can include the decision not to vote. It does preclude whining about the result of the election though.

The effect of not voting to make a political point means that others will make your decision for you.

Of course not. A political opinion can include the decision not to vote. It does preclude whining about the result of the election though.

I don't care who wins between Tweedledee and Tweedledum, so I'll simply enjoy the whining of the losing side on election night. However, I will happily complain about the winner's horrible policies while they're in office.

The effect of not voting to make a political point means that others will make your decision for you.

If your candidate loses then others will make your decision for you. If your candidate wins you will have made somebody else's decision for them. What's the difference?

I don't care who wins between Tweedledee and Tweedledum, so I'll simply enjoy the whining of the losing side on election night. However, I will happily complain about the winner's horrible policies while they're in office.

You are wanting ether outcome cause your crazy old man didn't win the nomination... You pray the country fails cause you think we have it comming for not being smart as you in supporting a racist old liar.... Yes we know your political opinion

Be honest.

If, like me, you lived in NY State. And if, like me, you think President Obama is the worst clusterfuck idiot to ever infest the Oval Office.

Now, say it's Election Day.

Which candidate is GOING to take all of the Empire State's Electoral College Votes?

That's right. I said "be honest." It IS Pres. Obama.

If I vote for Romney or if I vote for some unknown on some imaginary party ticket or if I vote for nobody at all, the electoral votes of my state ARE going to go to Pres. Obama. Period.

The act of not voting here this time is thus completely irrelevant.

You are wanting ether outcome cause your crazy old man didn't win the nomination... You pray the country fails cause you think we have it comming for not being smart as you in supporting a racist old liar.... Yes we know your political opinion

If I wanted the country to fail I'd vote for Obama or Romney.

We don't live in a monarchy ... Your ignorance of how this country work shows another reason Paul will always lose.......

We don't live in a monarchy ... Your ignorance of how this country work shows another reason Paul will always lose.......

The only thing I'm ignorant of is what exactly it is you're rambling about in this incoherent post.

Personally I find those unwilling to AT THE VERY LEAST vote fools who have no respect for their right to do so.
Write yourself in for fuck sake, but don't be a punk.

I'm not of the legal age to be President of the United States, and I'm not narcissistic enough to vote for myself. Nor would I want the job in the first place. Writing myself in, however, strikes me as simply voting for voting's sake, and as nobody has yet been able to explain to me why I should simply vote for voting's sake other than it's my "civic duty" I don't see how not wasting my time makes me a punk.

So if you're honestly that disinterested in not only the presidential but all other elections in your precinct, stay home and continue to complain all you like. Make sure you always point out the fact that you are in no way responsible for anything and I hope you have better luck next time. ;)

Personally I find those unwilling to AT THE VERY LEAST vote fools who have no respect for their right to do so.
Write yourself in for fuck sake, but don't be a punk.

I'm not of the legal age to be President of the United States, and I'm not narcissistic enough to vote for myself. Nor would I want the job in the first place. Writing myself in, however, strikes me as simply voting for voting's sake, and as nobody has yet been able to explain to me why I should simply vote for voting's sake other than it's my "civic duty" I don't see how not wasting my time makes me a punk.

So if you're honestly that disinterested in not only the presidential but all other elections in your precinct, stay home and continue to complain all you like. Make sure you always point out the fact that you are in no way responsible for anything and I hope you have better luck next time. ;)

That's the plan.

The only thing I'm ignorant of is what exactly it is you're rambling about in this incoherent post.

I suppose I have to spell it out......the president isn't the only thing up for election

You'll have to forgive me for not understanding that this was what you meant, considering I've already addressed that point in this thread.

If your beliefs are that far off from Main Street, then I see no reason that not voting should invalidate your opinions. That being said, I think it kind of puts you in the quack category, but to each his own.

Not voting does not make your opinion invalid, but it does make it irrelevant. Even when you believe both candidates suck, it is always possible to decide one candidate is at least marginally better than the other, if not in his stated positions, then in your estimation of his ability to deal effectively with the difficult decisions the next President will have to make, and if there is a better choice, imo, it is your civic duty to make it. To not vote is to embrace the idea of political impotence.

Not voting does not make your opinion invalid, but it does make it irrelevant. Even when you believe both candidates suck, it is always possible to decide one candidate is at least marginally better than the other, if not in his stated positions, then in your estimation of his ability to deal effectively with the difficult decisions the next President will have to make, and if there is a better choice, imo, it is your civic duty to make it. To not vote is to embrace the idea of political impotence.

Neither candidate is marginally better than the other. It is literally Tweedledee vs. Tweedledum.

Forum List

Back