Does the act of not voting invalidate one's political opinions?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    This thread is in response to a post by Grampa Murked U.

I decided several months ago that come November I was not going to bother to vote in the general election. I can't vote for either Obama or Romney, since they're essentially clones of one another, and while I might throw Gary Johnson a vote if there was another race, such as Senate or House, that had a candidate worth supporting he isn't good enough on his own to warrant taking the time out of my day to go vote for him.

So should my opinion be invalidated despite the fact that my decision not to vote is as principled as anybody's decision to vote, and not simply motivated by apathy?

2. Freemason9

Freemason9 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458
    I see your point, Kevin, and I am very nearly in your camp. I was going to sit out the election as well.

But then Romney veered all right-wing extremist, and he started scaring me. I'm afraid that he is so in bed with wingnuts that he will damage the Supreme Court (through Clarence Thomas-like appointments) that we won't even have the semblance of a democracy remaining.

(Hell, with an entirely Republican supreme court, they may legalize using auctions in place of elections. Corporations could use their money to bid for and buy politicians as a "free speech" variant.)

So I will vote Obama as an anti-Romney vote. I view Romney as corrupt, stupid, odd, disconnected, and completely untrustworthy.

At least Obama is just your run-of-mill corporate tool.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    That's all well and good, but not necessarily on topic.

4. sealadaigh

sealadaigh BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i think the best thing for both of you to do is turn in an unmarked ballot rather than do nothing. better to let them know you're pissed rather than have them think you're lazy.

5. Papageorgio

Papageorgio The Ultimate Winner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,516
    An opinion is just as valid whether you vote or not.

To vote for a candidate you support, is just as valid as voting for another candidate you don't want to win. And a no vote is also a statement that you are dissatisfied with the current group.

6. Merchant_of_Meh

Merchant_of_Meh Child of the Keywork

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    To be honest, I believe your opinion does indeed count if that is your reason for not voting. Those who simply don't care about the election and thus don't vote are the ones who are not really entitled to opine on what goes on. They don't care and they've shown as much so I agree with Grampa Murked U on that.

As for you, I see this as a signal of your discontent with not only the current candidates, but the current state of politics in the country and that's quite a valid stance to take. I am of a like mind, though I'm still undecided as to whether I actually will vote this fall.

7. Wolfsister77

Wolfsister77 Knowledge Is Power Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,700
    I think if you choose to educate yourself on the issues and the candidates, and decide not to vote, your opinion still counts.

If you don't vote and don't care, then continue to keep your head in the sand and your political opinion, if you have one, means nothing.

IMHO

8. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,376
    I don't think voting has a thing to do with whether someone's political opinion is valid. If that were true, than before they voted for the first time their opinion would be meaningless; the act of voting doesn't convey any wisdom upon a person. Further, what if someone votes in local or state elections but just doesn't vote for president?

I consider the 'you didn't vote so your opinion doesn't count' argument just another way to try and trivialize or marginalize other people's opinions without having to truly listen to them or reason why those opinions are wrong.

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    It depends on the reason you do not vote.
    If you really pull for a candidate but do not vote for some reason then you opinion is not as valid as if you do not like any candidate and do not vote for either on for that position.

Kind of like just blowing hot air vs making a choice to not vote for valid reasons.

I am writing in myself for my vote for president.
    My way of saying I AM voting but do not like either candidate.

10. Ragnar

Ragnar <--- Pic is not me

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843
    No. The only invalid opinion is one backed by force or fraud.