Does Steinbrenner belong in the HOF?

Tom Yawkey, former owner of the Boston Red Sox who was the last owner to sign a black player and never won a championship is in the Hall Of Fame

They need to let Steinbrenner in

Tom Yawkey, former owner of the Boston Red Sox who was the last owner to sign a black player and never won a championship is in the Hall Of Fame

There never was a curse it's just that the Red Sox sucked for 86 years

There never was a curse it's just that the Red Sox sucked for 86 years

First they sold off Babe Ruth and all their other 1918 championship players
Then they ran on the cheap for 30 years
When they finally built a great team...WWII came and took all their good players
Then they refused to sign a black player and doomed themselves for the next 25 years

They did suck

Without a doubt Steinbrenner belongs in the HOF.

And I hate the Yankees with a passion.

But if he doesn't go in, then the HOF has officially become the joke many already believe it to be.

YES...George has earned it.

Whether you love 'em or not, when the Yankees are doing well ALL of baseball benefits. Just look at the attendance in any MLB ballpark when the Bronx Bombers are in town.

BTW, the late Gil Hodges has also earned induction. It is a shame he is not in the Hall.

Gilbert Raymond Hodges (April 4, 1924 – April 2, 1972)
Hodges batted .273 in his career with a .487 slugging average, 1921 hits, 1274 RBI, 1105 runs, 295 doubles and 63 stolen bases in 2071 games. His 361 home runs with the Dodgers remain second in team history to Snider's 389. His 1614 career double plays placed him behind only Charlie Grimm (1733) in NL history, and were a major league record for a right-handed first baseman until Chris Chambliss surpassed him in 1984. His 1281 career assists ranked second in league history to Fred Tenney's 1363, and trailed only Ed Konetchy's 1292 among all right-handed first basemen. Snider broke his NL record of 1137 career strikeouts in 1964. His 1001 RBI during the 1950s led all National League hitters.

Gil_Hodges_54_Topps-102.jpg

HOF then is already a joke.
But I'll digress to the 'little people'.
(Above sentiment, my new def. of elitism :razz:).

But if he doesn't go in, then the HOF has officially become the joke many already believe it to be.

It actually became a joke when they excluded Pete Rose. I don't condone what Rose did, but to exclude arguably the greatest hitter in Major League history simply made the Hall of Fame a joke.

Immie

It actually became a joke when they excluded Pete Rose. I don't condone what Rose did, but to exclude arguably the greatest hitter in Major League history simply made the Hall of Fame a joke.

Immie

EXACTLY!!!
But yet all those Yankee fan anti-corporationists want Steinbrenner in the HOF? Hypocrisy knows no bounds! :cuckoo:
Cut me a F'n'A break!

Immie

EXACTLY!!!
But yet all those Yankee fan anti-corporationists want Steinbrenner in the HOF? Hypocrisy knows no bounds! :cuckoo:
Cut me a F'n'A break!

Well, I agree that Steinbrenner belongs in the HOF, but I also think Rose does.

Immie

Baseball, America's game.
Fitting!
Baseball strike mid-90's, jack the ball up afterwards to bring fans back, then sweep steriod abuse under the rug.....and now Steinbrenner in the HOF?
Yes, baseball, it truly IS America's game.
Baseball, a fitting analogy for America!!!

Fitting!
Baseball strike mid-90's, jack the ball up afterwards to bring fans back, then sweep steriod abuse under the rug.....and now Steinbrenner in the HOF?

No, no, no!

You have it all wrong. Baseball is America's Pastime. It passes time from Super Bowl to Hall of Fame Game.

Immie

Fitting!

No, no, no!

You have it all wrong. Baseball is America's Pastime. It passes time from Super Bowl to Hall of Fame Game.

Immie

I love football, but it pales in comparison to the national pastime...

New_York_Yankee_Legends_ny153_large.jpg

Fitting!

No, no, no!

Immie

I have always preferred football (real football that is of the NFL variety) over MLB by a long shot, but two things happened to really bring MLB down in my books.

First the strike. That really, really hurt.

Second, I moved East. My favorite teams are the A's and Giants. Here in Tampa, we get almost no news about the A's or the Giants and West Coast evening games run until after one am here. When I first got here, the newspapers were still the major way I got my news. Used to hate waking up and looking at the standings to see:

X - Late Game Not Included

So the papers were always two days behind. It sucked and I lost almost complete interest in the game.

Immie

No, no, no!

Immie

I have always preferred football (real football that is of the NFL variety) over MLB by a long shot, but two things happened to really bring MLB down in my books.

Second, I moved East. My favorite teams are the A's and Giants. Here in Tampa, we get almost no news about the A's or the Giants and West Coast evening games run until after one am here. When I first got here, the newspapers were still the major way I got my news. Used to hate waking up and looking at the standings to see:

So the papers were always two days behind. It sucked and I lost almost complete interest in the game.

Immie

Check the game results for NFL games Tuesday through Saturday...
Tu - ___
We - ___
Th - ___
Fr - ___
Sa - ___

If you have the MLB Network, it is 24/7 baseball, live lookin's, Great documentaries, history and classic games, fantastic analysis by former major leaguers.

You have one of the best teams in Tampa... David Price, Evan Longoria, Carl Crawford, Rafael Soriano, Jeff Niemann, Carlos Pena etc. Plus colorful manager Joe Maddon.

I am an NFL fan, but NFL football wasn't even on the radar screen until the 1958 Colts-Giants championship game. The history of the two sports is not even close, unless you include college football.

Turn on any baseball game, and I guarantee some HOF player will be mentioned because of stats. The Babe, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, the Mick, Jackie Robinson, Willy Mays, Hank Aaron, Stan the Man, Roberto Clemente...etc.

I remember my Grandmother watching the Game of the Week...

Immie

Tu - ___
We - ___
Th - ___
Fr - ___
Sa - ___

If you have the MLB Network, it is 24/7 baseball, live lookin's, Great documentaries, history and classic games, fantastic analysis by former major leaguers.

You have one of the best teams in Tampa... David Price, Evan Longoria, Carl Crawford, Rafael Soriano, Jeff Niemann, Carlos Pena etc. Plus colorful manager Joe Maddon.

I am an NFL fan, but NFL football wasn't even on the radar screen until the 1958 Colts-Giants championship game. The history of the two sports is not even close, unless you include college football.

Turn on any baseball game, and I guarantee some HOF player will be mentioned because of stats. The Babe, Lou Gehrig, Ted Williams, the Mick, Jackie Robinson, Willy Mays, Hank Aaron, Stan the Man, Roberto Clemente...etc.

I don't have the MLB Network and now, I probably would not watch it if I had it... now, if only I could get the NFL Network!

You forgot Thursday Night NFL games.

I wasn't around for the 58 Colts-Giants game. The NFL has been part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Yes, Tampa has one of the best teams at the moment. Two years ago when they went to the Series, I didn't even know that they were in contention for a pennant until three days before the end of the season. :eusa_shhh: Surprised the hell out of me, that is how much Tampa cares about its team. If I recall how I heard about it, it went something like this on the radio. "Hey, did you know that the Rays might win the pennant this year?" :lol: IMHO Baseball is dead.

Damn, the kids that play now-a-days are well... kids and they are not really all that exciting. Not to mention the fact that they make me feel old. At least the NFL isn't all spoiled kids... you still have men playing the game.

The last exciting thing I remember from a Baseball Season was the year Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were battling for most HR's in a season. Now that was cool.

I don't hate Baseball. I have even watched (or tried to stay awake and watch) maybe ten games this season. Now, I will admit, I am at least this year keeping an eye on the Rays. I don't think it will be three days before the end of the season when I find out if they are in contention this time. :lol:

Immie

Immie

Tu - ___
We - ___
Th - ___
Fr - ___
Sa - ___

I don't have the MLB Network and now, I probably would not watch it if I had it... now, if only I could get the NFL Network!

I wasn't around for the 58 Colts-Giants game. The NFL has been part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Yes, Tampa has one of the best teams at the moment. Two years ago when they went to the Series, I didn't even know that they were in contention for a pennant until three days before the end of the season. :eusa_shhh: Surprised the hell out of me, that is how much Tampa cares about its team. If I recall how I heard about it, it went something like this on the radio. "Hey, did you know that the Rays might win the pennant this year?" :lol: IMHO Baseball is dead.

Damn, the kids that play now-a-days are well... kids and they are not really all that exciting. Not to mention the fact that they make me feel old. At least the NFL isn't all spoiled kids... you still have men playing the game.

The last exciting thing I remember from a Baseball Season was the year Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were battling for most HR's in a season. Now that was cool.

I don't hate Baseball. I have even watched (or tried to stay awake and watch) maybe ten games this season. Now, I will admit, I am at least this year keeping an eye on the Rays. I don't think it will be three days before the end of the season when I find out if they are in contention this time. :lol:

Immie

I am not trashing football. I followed the NFL before the AFL. Jim Brown was the greatest player I have ever seen. John Unitas is still the best QB IMO. When the AFL came into being, I had Buffalo Bills season tickets for a number of years, from the AFL champs of Jack Kemp, Daryle Lamonica, Cookie Gilchrist, Tom Sestak through the OJ & the Electric Company days, then the Kelly era; Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Steve Tasker etc.

But you have to go back to the Jim Brown, John Unitas, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke era to find real men. The current crop like TO, Randy Moss and Ray Lewis are a bunch of spoiled brats or criminal like Lewis, OJ and Lawrence Taylor.

The biggest difference IMO is the type of fans the two sports attract. I wouldn't hesitate to take my son (when he was young) to a ball game, but I would not take him to a NFL game. Too many morons running on pure alcohol and testosterone.

I believe there is some correlation between the changes I've seen in our country and the sports we watch. We have become a more violence seeking nation rather than fans that enjoy the cerebral and pastoral game of baseball...

I love football and baseball, but football is in my heart; baseball is in my soul.

Don't know if you ever heard this, but it is great!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0]YouTube - Football or baseball[/ame]

Tu - ___
We - ___
Th - ___
Fr - ___
Sa - ___

Immie

I am not trashing football. I followed the NFL before the AFL. Jim Brown was the greatest player I have ever seen. John Unitas is still the best QB IMO. When the AFL came into being, I had Buffalo Bills season tickets for a number of years, from the AFL champs of Jack Kemp, Daryle Lamonica, Cookie Gilchrist, Tom Sestak through the OJ & the Electric Company days, then the Kelly era; Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, Steve Tasker etc.

But you have to go back to the Jim Brown, John Unitas, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke era to find real men. The current crop like TO, Randy Moss and Ray Lewis are a bunch of spoiled brats or criminal like Lewis, OJ and Lawrence Taylor.

The biggest difference IMO is the type of fans the two sports attract. I wouldn't hesitate to take my son (when he was young) to a ball game, but I would not take him to a NFL game. Too many morons running on pure alcohol and testosterone.

I believe there is some correlation between the changes I've seen in our country and the sports we watch. We have become a more violence seeking nation rather than fans that enjoy the cerebral and pastoral game of baseball...

I love football and baseball, but football is in my heart; baseball is in my soul.

Don't know if you ever heard this, but it is great!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXacL0Uny0]YouTube - Football or baseball[/ame]

Football hands down, but thanks for that.

Immie

Immie

EXACTLY!!!
Cut me a F'n'A break!
What the fuck does it have to do with corporations?

Those who don't like Steinbrenner either don't simply because he was the Yankees owner, or because he spent the kind of money on his roster that they wish THEIR owner did, and they're just haters.

That's it.

I don't know any baseball fans who invoke corporatism into that argument.

I'm also not sure how he and Rose can be compared here. Rose soiled his name by shitting on fellow members of the league via financial wagers against them. That has huge ethical and moral implications.

What did George do wrong besides WIN?

Immie

EXACTLY!!!
Cut me a F'n'A break!
What the fuck does it have to do with corporations?

Those who don't like Steinbrenner either don't simply because he was the Yankees owner, or because he spent the kind of money on his roster that they wish THEIR owner did, and they're just haters.

That's it.

I don't know any baseball fans who invoke corporatism into that argument.

I'm also not sure how he and Rose can be compared here. Rose soiled his name by shitting on fellow members of the league via financial wagers against them. That has huge ethical and moral implications.

What did George do wrong besides WIN?

While I agree that Rose hurt the game and was definitely wrong for doing what he did, that does not change the fact that he is arguably the greatest hitter to have ever played the game. Wiping his name out of the record books, only tells me that the records mean nothing at all. To me there will always be the idea that if MLB doesn't like the person they will just hide the fact that he ever played from the rest of the world. Therefore, we are not talking about the best of the the sport just the best liked.

The HOF has become a popularity contest not a place for keeping historical facts.

Note: As I said early in the thread, I believe Steinbrenner belongs in the HOF, but I also believe that Pete Rose belongs there as well.

Immie

Forum List

Back