Does Steinbrenner belong in the HOF?

EXACTLY!!!
But yet all those Yankee fan anti-corporationists want Steinbrenner in the HOF? Hypocrisy knows no bounds! :cuckoo:
Cut me a F'n'A break!
What the fuck does it have to do with corporations?

Those who don't like Steinbrenner either don't simply because he was the Yankees owner, or because he spent the kind of money on his roster that they wish THEIR owner did, and they're just haters.

That's it.

I don't know any baseball fans who invoke corporatism into that argument.

I'm also not sure how he and Rose can be compared here. Rose soiled his name by shitting on fellow members of the league via financial wagers against them. That has huge ethical and moral implications.

What did George do wrong besides WIN?

While I agree that Rose hurt the game and was definitely wrong for doing what he did, that does not change the fact that he is arguably the greatest hitter to have ever played the game. Wiping his name out of the record books, only tells me that the records mean nothing at all. To me there will always be the idea that if MLB doesn't like the person they will just hide the fact that he ever played from the rest of the world. Therefore, we are not talking about the best of the the sport just the best liked.

The HOF has become a popularity contest not a place for keeping historical facts.

Note: As I said early in the thread, I believe Steinbrenner belongs in the HOF, but I also believe that Pete Rose belongs there as well.

Immie

Agree

Rose has been punished enough. He did not "cheat" nearly to the degree steroid users did and they are still in the game.

EXACTLY!!!
But yet all those Yankee fan anti-corporationists want Steinbrenner in the HOF? Hypocrisy knows no bounds! :cuckoo:
Cut me a F'n'A break!

Those who don't like Steinbrenner either don't simply because he was the Yankees owner, or because he spent the kind of money on his roster that they wish THEIR owner did, and they're just haters.

That's it.

I'm also not sure how he and Rose can be compared here. Rose soiled his name by shitting on fellow members of the league via financial wagers against them. That has huge ethical and moral implications.

While I agree that Rose hurt the game and was definitely wrong for doing what he did, that does not change the fact that he is arguably the greatest hitter to have ever played the game. Wiping his name out of the record books, only tells me that the records mean nothing at all. To me there will always be the idea that if MLB doesn't like the person they will just hide the fact that he ever played from the rest of the world. Therefore, we are not talking about the best of the the sport just the best liked.

The HOF has become a popularity contest not a place for keeping historical facts.

Note: As I said early in the thread, I believe Steinbrenner belongs in the HOF, but I also believe that Pete Rose belongs there as well.

Immie

Pete Rose was a great player, and his play ON the field deserves HOF status. BUT, Rose broke a serious rule that can undermine the sport, not unlike the Black Sox case. Shoeless Joe Jackson's play on the field deserves HOF consideration too. Rose's case doesn't bode well for the next group of eligible candidates...the steroid crowd...Bonds, Clemens, McGwire etc. Their play ON the field was great, but how much of it was drug enhanced?

That's it.

Immie

Pete Rose was a great player, and his play ON the field deserves HOF status. BUT, Rose broke a serious rule that can undermine the sport, not unlike the Black Sox case. Shoeless Joe Jackson's play on the field deserves HOF consideration too. Rose's case doesn't bode well for the next group of eligible candidates...the steroid crowd...Bonds, Clemens, McGwire etc. Their play ON the field was great, but how much of it was drug enhanced?

I agree, but the stats are in on those players. If the leagues and owners didn't want drug enhanced players on the field, they should have done something about it while the players were out there boosting revenues not once the benefit to them has subsided.

Immie

Few can argue that he impacted the scope of the game. Does his contribution to baseball warrant Hall of Fame consideration?

" A rich man can not enter Heaven, a rope will pass easier through the eye of a needle"

This man had serious emotional problems, and no compassion or empathy for his fellow man. He does not, repeat does NOT, deserve any recognition at all. He made millions exploiting others.

Few can argue that he impacted the scope of the game. Does his contribution to baseball warrant Hall of Fame consideration?

" A rich man can not enter Heaven, a rope will pass easier through the eye of a needle"

This man had serious emotional problems, and no compassion or empathy for his fellow man. He does not, repeat does NOT, deserve any recognition at all. He made millions exploiting others.

You are grossly misrepresenting George Steinbrenner.

George Steinbrenner's charity will last beyond his death - St. Petersburg Times

Woman reveals lifelong secret that Yankee owner George Steinbrenner donated $13K to save her life.

George Steinbrenner's death immediately brought Lorraine Blakely back to the year when The Boss helped save her life.

The Long Island mother of three was just a second-grader when the Yankee owner donated $13,000 to cover her medical bills after a freak 1977 accident nearly killed her.

Steinbrenner's contribution came with a caveat: The family could not discuss the gift.

And Blakely, now 40, kept her part of the bargain until Steinbrenner died Tuesday.

"It just shows what a good man he was," Blakely said Wednesday at her Lake Ronkonkoma, L.I., home. "He didn't want any notoriety for it. He was just doing it out of the goodness of his heart."

Steinbrenner, despite a deserved reputation for bluster and bullying, often hid his softer side and philanthropic works: helping the kids of slain cops, funding hospitals, aiding terminally ill children.

And rescuing 7-year-old Lorraine after her skull was fractured by a flying chunk of wood in a botched Fire Department demonstration on Oct. 12, 1977.

It was the same day as Game 2 of the World Series between the Yankees and the Los Angeles Dodgers - which became the first championship season of the Steinbrenner era.

Three hours of emergency surgery saved her life, but a chunk of the bone protecting her brain was gone - forcing her to don a hockey helmet around the clock.

A delicate four-hour operation was needed to implant a plastic plate across her skull.

That's when Steinbrenner stepped to the plate, sending a limousine to bring the little girl and her parents to a meeting, where he handed over the check.

"It was a bit of an intimidating situation for me," she recalled. "But when I got there he was so kind - one of the nicest people you could ever meet."

Read more: Woman reveals lifelong secret that Yankee owner George Steinbrenner donated $13K to save her life

Im not misrepresenting him at all. He was a loud mouth, he hurt people emotionally, he was a money grubber, he was not a man of God.

Im not misrepresenting him at all. He was a loud mouth, he hurt people emotionally, he was a money grubber, he was not a man of God.

Yes you are. He was a complicated man, as we ALL are. He could be an asshole and even bitterly cruel at times, but there was a much BIGGER part you choose to ignore. He proved over and over that he cared about people, was loyal to friends, had a big heart and had few real enemies.

George Steinbrenner's contributions to Tampa

Steinbrenner persuaded his friends to share their talents at his annual Christmas concerts for at-risk kids in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties. Even Billy Martin, who he had a famous feud with during Martin's years of managing the Yankees, appeared on stage to read "The Night Before Christmas" to the children just a month before his death in 1989.

The boss made an effort to help upgrade local sports facilities for children. Many of his donations and charitable deeds were anonymous, like the time he drove a Red Cross truck full of supplies to hurricane-stricken South Florida. Steinbrenner even called the FOX 13 newsroom one time to find out where he could send a check when a local ballpark concession stand burned down.

St. Joseph's Children's Hospital was started from a donation from Steinbrenner and his wife for a pediatric emergency room. That center is now called the Steinbrenner Children's Emergency Trauma center.

In May of 2009, Steinbrenner attended the dedication of a school named in his honor, the George M. Steinbrenner High School in Lutz. Susan Valdes, chair of the Hillsborough County School Board said in a statement that Steinbrenner was a longtime and generous supporter of schools in the county. It was a blessing to have such a man living in their community, she said.

"George Steinbrenner has been an extremely generous supporter of our schools for a very, very long time," Valdes said. "He is a high-profile person for lots of reasons, but people often don't know about all the wonderful things he did out of the spotlight. He never sought recognition for his contributions, but they were of great magnitude."

Maybe you need to question the motives of the people that trashed him and ask if they had ulterior motives?

I was under the impression that HOF only included players and managers on the field.

The man was immortalized on Sienfeld, so he's already more famous than most people in the Hall of Fame.

I was under the impression that HOF only included players and managers on the field.

The man was immortalized on Sienfeld, so he's already more famous than most people in the Hall of Fame.

HOF also includes executives like Branch Rickey, Charles Comisky, Tom Yawkey, Kennesaw Mountain Landis, Bowie Kuhn

HOF also includes executives like Branch Rickey, Charles Comisky, Tom Yawkey, Kennesaw Mountain Landis, Bowie Kuhn

Oh.

Well then he certainly has the claim to be included.

He's the only owner of a ball team (other than Ted Turner) whose name I even know.

I should have added that I agree Rose should be reinstated.

He paid his due. Being led to believe all this time that he was kicked out of baseball probably hurt to a degree that going to prison does for someone else.

it probably served its purpose much better than if they had just told him that he was temporarily banned for 15 years or whatever.

Let him back in.

Oh.

Well then he certainly has the claim to be included.

He's the only owner of a ball team (other than Ted Turner) whose name I even know.

Knowing owners' names is typically something reserved only for actual fans of the game of baseball. OR any sport for that matter.

But knowing or not knowing owners' names shouldn't have anything to do with HOF consideration. It's not a popularity contest. It's about the many different contributions one can potentially, and in fact DID, make.

"... He was a complicated man, as we ALL are. He could be an asshole and even bitterly cruel at times, but there was a much BIGGER part you choose to ignore. He proved over and over that he cared about people, was loyal to friends, had a big heart and had few real enemies...Maybe you need to question the motives of the people that trashed him and ask if they had ulterior motives?"

He was an evil man. He hurt people deeply for no other reason than to cause emotional pain. He will be judged harshly by Jesus. Remember that a camel can pass through the eye of a needle easier than can a rich man enter God's Kingdom of Heaven. In addition he was a non-Christian Jew which will make it next to impossible to enter Heaven.

Theses are the teachings of the New Testamemt, I do not invent them, I live by God's rules.

Last edited:

"... He was a complicated man, as we ALL are. He could be an asshole and even bitterly cruel at times, but there was a much BIGGER part you choose to ignore. He proved over and over that he cared about people, was loyal to friends, had a big heart and had few real enemies...Maybe you need to question the motives of the people that trashed him and ask if they had ulterior motives?"

He was an evil man. He hurt people deeply for no other reason than to cause emotional pain. He will be judged harshly by Jesus. Remember that a camel can pass through the eye of a needle easier than can a rich man enter God's Kingdom of Heaven. In addition he was a non-Christian Jew which will make it next to impossible to enter Heaven.

Theses are the teachings of the New Testamemt, I do not invent them, I live by God's rules.

The God I learned about was God the Father, who loves us like a father loves his child, but His love is magnified 1000 fold.

Did George Steinbrenner kill anyone? Did he only help himself? Was he his brother's keeper?

Yours is a cynical God, the avenger...sadly you were told it was God, but you worship a devil.

A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Oscar Wilde

Forum List

Back