Does Japan Have Nuclear Weapons?

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
They possess enough enriched uranium to manufacture 5000 nuclear weapons, and they have the technical assets to do just that. They also have a cutting-edge navy and air force. Since China started flexing its bully muscles with all its neighbors, Japan has warned them several times that it doesn't intend on taking any strong arm intimidation. After all, their thousand year-old Bushido culture isn't exactly pacifist. They've just been pretend pacifists since 1945. They could quickly become a major military power second only to the US in might. Good thing or bad?

Japan Has Nuclear Bomb in the Basement and China Isn t Happy - NBC News

No. They don't. And their military is quite small and until a couple of months ago was geared only towards defense.

No. They don't. And their military is quite small and until a couple of months ago was geared only towards defense.

I think they already have a small arsenal of nukes, and I think China knows it too. Japan also wants to go full gear with the manufacture and export of arms. They're missing out on the gravy train. They build good stuff you know.

They have the capability and have been talking about it for a while. I think they'll go nuclear because they can see that the U.S. is unstable right now and our inept president is not someone they can rely on.

.........:rolleyes:

I was in a US military hospital in Japan recovering from gunshot wounds in Vietnam when Yukio Mishima committed suicide. I read everything he wrote after that. He really got me intrigued with the Japanese right-wing and militarism. Don't roll your eyes. It makes you look like a nincompoop.

You sound like some kid who has read too many comic books. Don't do that to yourself.

They possess enough enriched uranium to manufacture 5000 nuclear weapons, and they have the technical assets to do just that. They also have a cutting-edge navy and air force. Since China started flexing its bully muscles with all its neighbors, Japan has warned them several times that it doesn't intend on taking any strong arm intimidation. After all, their thousand year-old Bushido culture isn't exactly pacifist. They've just been pretend pacifists since 1945. They could quickly become a major military power second only to the US in might. Good thing or bad?

Japan Has Nuclear Bomb in the Basement and China Isn t Happy - NBC News

Just words on paper of course, but after WWII their new constitution placed major limits on their military. And they've never sought nuclear weapons. It's been a concern though with China poking and prodding them for some time.

If they were developing nuclear weapons, there'd be evidence that you can't conceal.

I seriously doubt they'd go nuclear. Pointless trying to match China, and not exactly free. The prosperity they have now would vanish if they redirected monies to beefing up their defensive military to a more offensive-capable one to say nothing of nuclear weapons.

As-is, if they and China come to blows, their lack of nuclear weapons would be more advantageous than having them but not being able to use them. China, the nuclear giant will look bad doing anything offensive to a non-nuclear Japan. But if Japan gets nukes then China doesn't have to pull its punches as much. But if neither is willing to use their nuclear arsenals, having one is foolish.

Worry in intelligence and watchdog circles isn't what country has nuclear weapons but what independent actors do. Can retalliate against a country. Not a small terror cell. Not hard to imagine rebels getting their hands on a nuclear weapon because they very nearly did in '61 in Algeria when French generals staged a coup against the DeGaulle administration and very nearly took over a nuclear testing site with hot nuke. Scientists and loyal French detonated the device early to prevent it falling into rebel hands.

Jeffrey Lewis bull A Nuclear Coup

If they were developing nuclear weapons, there'd be evidence that you can't conceal.

What evidence?

Enriching uranium to weapons grade releases by-product elements into the enviroment. Anti-nuclear proliferation monitors are always watching for these by-products.

Worry in intelligence and watchdog circles isn't what country has nuclear weapons but what independent actors do. Can retalliate against a country. Not a small terror cell. Not hard to imagine rebels getting their hands on a nuclear weapon because they very nearly did in '61 in Algeria when French generals staged a coup against the DeGaulle administration and very nearly took over a nuclear testing site with hot nuke. Scientists and loyal French detonated the device early to prevent it falling into rebel hands.

Jeffrey Lewis bull A Nuclear Coup

The Day of the Jackal: one of the twenty greatest movies ever made, by one of the greatest fiction writers of the 20th century. Well, I'll take your word for now, Delta, but I'm going to do some homework.

After all, their thousand year-old Bushido culture isn't exactly pacifist. They've just been pretend pacifists since 1945. ..

This is sort of like someone who really knows nothing about American culture and history predicting what America will do in current times based on some bad movies they saw about the Confederacy - only this is even more ridiculous.

Last edited:

My ex and her husband just closed their business down in Ventura, California, and moved to rural Illinois. She says the environmental situation there is getting quite bad. And you didn't even include in your list, the 40% of carbon particulates in California's air drifting over from the world's #1 environmental nightmare: China. We're paying a bigger price than we think for all that cheap Chinese consumer crap.

After all, their thousand year-old Bushido culture isn't exactly pacifist. They've just been pretend pacifists since 1945. ..

This is sort of like someone who really knows nothing about American culture and history predicting what America will do in current times based on some bad movies they saw about the Confederacy - only this is even more ridiculous.

You probably don't even know who Yukio Mishima was, or what his significance was, much less read any of his books. So why don't you learn me all about Japanese history, Goober. I'm all ears. While I've got you here, learn me about China, South Korea, North Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines and other Pacific Rim countries condemning Japan loud and clear this year, for being such savage bastards during WWII, and for never admitting the fact, especially to several generations of children born since the war. The Japanese blubber in their crying towel pretending it was them who were victims of aggression. How fucking outrageous is that? We should bomb them all over again just on general principal. I can hardly wait to hear your version of history.

Forum List

Back