Does it matter if Jesus isn't God?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by konradv, May 17, 2011.

1. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    The Encyclopædia Britannica states, "To some Christians the doctrine of the Trinity appeared inconsistent with the unity of God....They therefore denied it, and accepted Jesus Christ, not as incarnate God, but as God's highest creature by Whom all else was created....[this] view in the early Church long contended with the orthodox doctrine."

Nontrinitarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two greatest commandments would still hold, love God and love your neighbor. Isn't everything else just window-dressing?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Not to me it doesn't.

3. sinister59

sinister59 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34
    if there is a god it would be blasphemy to call a mortal god . so yes it matters

4. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    So you're saying the majority of Christians are committing blasphemy? After all, Jesus was mortal and he's being called God.

5. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215

He is God and this is the whole point of knowing Him. The Revelation of Jesus Christ - Who He is. He reveals to us that He is God upon knowing Him. He never sinned, yet they crucified Him. Only God never sins. God is love. 1 John 4:8 - Passage*Lookup - New King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Bible verses that show Jesus is Divine | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

As for being created, Jesus Christ was never created, it shows in God's Word that He always was and all things were created for and by Him.

We are also able to test the spirits to see if they are from God, in other words, if they know the Truth of Jesus Christ, yet..if they know Him. We are either in Christ, or we are not.
    He is our life. He gave it, created it. Sadly many, too many reject that.

As for the Trinity, we learn more as our relationship grows with the Lord. One God, three persons. Link if anyone wants:
    The Trinity | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

6. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215
    PS - Or more simply, in Christianity, most would agree that those who deny the Deity of Jesus Christ - that He is God, are either in a false teaching/doctrine, or possibly a cult, or don't know Him yet, or have rejected His truth.

7. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,673
    But does it matter? Do you have to believe Jesus is God to be a good Christian. Jesus said there were really only two commandments and the requirement to believe he was God wasn't one of them. After all, there were many gospels besides the ones you quote that would take another view. How do you know the Gnostics weren't right, they just didn't have the power of the Roman Empire behind them?

8. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    My understanding is that Jesus was God in the flesh.

I come to that conclusion from the gospel of John.

John 1:1
    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14
    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

John 8:58
    Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

John 10:30-31
    I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

John 10:38-39
    The Father is in me, and I in him. Therefore they sought again to take him.

John 14:9
    He that hath seen me hath seen the Father.

John 20:28
    And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.

And other verses reinforce my opinion.

Acts 20:28
    Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Colossians 1:16
    For by him [Jesus] were all things created.

Colossians 2:9
    For in him [Jesus] dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1 Timothy 3:16
    God was made manifest in the flesh.

Titus 2:13
    Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:6
    Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God.

Hebrews 1:8
    But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Revelation 1:17
    Fear not; I am the first and the last.

Revelation 22:13
    I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

9. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Jesus stated the only way to the Father is through Him.

10. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215

Yes it matters, and this revelation comes by Him. It goes hand in hand. If someone is born again by His Spirit, He will lead them to this knowledge.

How do I know? Because of His revelation of Who He is to me. This is very personal between each person and Him. Each person needs to go to Him directly and call on His Name. When doing so sincerely, He promises to answer. (Don't even believe me, ask Him yourself, seriously.)

Upon the knowledge of "knowing" many have different experiences. Mine - I dropped and cried like I never cried before. Knowing His love, and His Truth, its beyond words. It's knowing finally Who He is, and why we are here, who we are in Him, and why the world is why it is. "I once was blind, but now I see."

In regard to being a "good" christian: We are ALL sinners. Paul in the Bible claims he was the "chief" of sinners. The difference between believers and unbelievers, is that believers have received the free gift from God (and only could ever come through God and is available to ALL men) through Jesus Christ. And thereafter, the Lord begins a good work in us.

Please note that we do not get to be with God by "being good". If that was the case, none of us would get to be with Him, because we ALL have sinned. No human being has never sinned. We need to BELIEVE WHO HE IS. Then HE begins the "good work" in us. It is His Righteousness that covers us, not ourselves. And then..we all learn at different paces.

Last edited: May 17, 2011