Does it matter if Jesus isn't God?

konradv

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2010
Baltimore adjacent
The Encyclopædia Britannica states, "To some Christians the doctrine of the Trinity appeared inconsistent with the unity of God....They therefore denied it, and accepted Jesus Christ, not as incarnate God, but as God's highest creature by Whom all else was created....[this] view in the early Church long contended with the orthodox doctrine."

Nontrinitarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The two greatest commandments would still hold, love God and love your neighbor. Isn't everything else just window-dressing?

The Encyclopædia Britannica states, "To some Christians the doctrine of the Trinity appeared inconsistent with the unity of God....They therefore denied it, and accepted Jesus Christ, not as incarnate God, but as God's highest creature by Whom all else was created....[this] view in the early Church long contended with the orthodox doctrine."

The two greatest commandments would still hold, love God and love your neighbor. Isn't everything else just window-dressing?

if there is a god it would be blasphemy to call a mortal god . so yes it matters

if there is a god it would be blasphemy to call a mortal god . so yes it matters

So you're saying the majority of Christians are committing blasphemy? After all, Jesus was mortal and he's being called God.

He is God and this is the whole point of knowing Him. The Revelation of Jesus Christ - Who He is. He reveals to us that He is God upon knowing Him. He never sinned, yet they crucified Him. Only God never sins. God is love. 1 John 4:8 - Passage*Lookup - New King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Bible verses that show Jesus is Divine | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

From the link/site above - partial post of verses...

1.John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
1A.John 1:14 - "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

2.John 5:18 - "For this cause therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God."

3.John 8:24 - "I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins."
A.Note: In the Greek, "He" is not there.

4.John 8:58 - "Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.'"
4A.Exodus 3:14 - "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’"

5.John 10:30-33 - "I and the Father are one." 31 The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" 33 The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God."

6.John 20:28 - "Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

As for being created, Jesus Christ was never created, it shows in God's Word that He always was and all things were created for and by Him.
Colossians 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.

We are also able to test the spirits to see if they are from God, in other words, if they know the Truth of Jesus Christ, yet..if they know Him. We are either in Christ, or we are not.
1 John 4
1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

He is our life. He gave it, created it. Sadly many, too many reject that.
Colossians 3:4
When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

As for the Trinity, we learn more as our relationship grows with the Lord. One God, three persons. Link if anyone wants:
The Trinity | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

PS - Or more simply, in Christianity, most would agree that those who deny the Deity of Jesus Christ - that He is God, are either in a false teaching/doctrine, or possibly a cult, or don't know Him yet, or have rejected His truth.

He is God and this is the whole point of knowing Him. The Revelation of Jesus Christ - Who He is. He reveals to us that He is God upon knowing Him. He never sinned, yet they crucified Him. Only God never sins. God is love. 1 John 4:8 - Passage*Lookup - New King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Bible verses that show Jesus is Divine | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

From the link/site above - partial post of verses...

1.John 1:1 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
1A.John 1:14 - "And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

2.John 5:18 - "For this cause therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God."

3.John 8:24 - "I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you shall die in your sins."
A.Note: In the Greek, "He" is not there.

4.John 8:58 - "Jesus said to them, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.'"
4A.Exodus 3:14 - "And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM'; and He said, Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’"

5.John 10:30-33 - "I and the Father are one." 31 The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. 32 Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" 33 The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God."

6.John 20:28 - "Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

As for being created, Jesus Christ was never created, it shows in God's Word that He always was and all things were created for and by Him.

We are also able to test the spirits to see if they are from God, in other words, if they know the Truth of Jesus Christ, yet..if they know Him. We are either in Christ, or we are not.
1 John 4
1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

As for the Trinity, we learn more as our relationship grows with the Lord. One God, three persons. Link if anyone wants:

But does it matter? Do you have to believe Jesus is God to be a good Christian. Jesus said there were really only two commandments and the requirement to believe he was God wasn't one of them. After all, there were many gospels besides the ones you quote that would take another view. How do you know the Gnostics weren't right, they just didn't have the power of the Roman Empire behind them?

My understanding is that Jesus was God in the flesh.

I come to that conclusion from the gospel of John.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

John 10:30-31
I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

John 10:38-39
The Father is in me, and I in him. Therefore they sought again to take him.

John 14:9
He that hath seen me hath seen the Father.

John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.

And other verses reinforce my opinion.

Acts 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Colossians 1:16
For by him [Jesus] were all things created.

Colossians 2:9
For in him [Jesus] dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1 Timothy 3:16
God was made manifest in the flesh.

Titus 2:13
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:6
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God.

Hebrews 1:8
But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Revelation 1:17
Fear not; I am the first and the last.

Revelation 22:13
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

But does it matter? Do you have to believe Jesus is God to be a good Christian. Jesus said there were really only two commandments and the requirement to believe he was God wasn't one of them. After all, there were many gospels besides the ones you quote that would take another view. How do you know the Gnostics weren't right, they just didn't have the power of the Roman Empire behind them?

Jesus stated the only way to the Father is through Him.

Yes it matters, and this revelation comes by Him. It goes hand in hand. If someone is born again by His Spirit, He will lead them to this knowledge.

How do I know? Because of His revelation of Who He is to me. This is very personal between each person and Him. Each person needs to go to Him directly and call on His Name. When doing so sincerely, He promises to answer. (Don't even believe me, ask Him yourself, seriously.)

Upon the knowledge of "knowing" many have different experiences. Mine - I dropped and cried like I never cried before. Knowing His love, and His Truth, its beyond words. It's knowing finally Who He is, and why we are here, who we are in Him, and why the world is why it is. "I once was blind, but now I see."

In regard to being a "good" christian: We are ALL sinners. Paul in the Bible claims he was the "chief" of sinners. The difference between believers and unbelievers, is that believers have received the free gift from God (and only could ever come through God and is available to ALL men) through Jesus Christ. And thereafter, the Lord begins a good work in us.

Romans 5:18
Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

Please note that we do not get to be with God by "being good". If that was the case, none of us would get to be with Him, because we ALL have sinned. No human being has never sinned. We need to BELIEVE WHO HE IS. Then HE begins the "good work" in us. It is His Righteousness that covers us, not ourselves. And then..we all learn at different paces.

John 8:24
Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

Last edited:

I would agree with that, but that doesn't mean he's God. You also quoted the "acceptable" gospels. What of the others? Like John and the Epistles you quoted, they were written after the fact. Aren't the non-Trinitarian gospels more in keeping with the OT One-God than the pagan-influenced Tripartite-God?

My understanding is that Jesus was God in the flesh.

I come to that conclusion from the gospel of John.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.

John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

John 10:30-31
I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.

John 10:38-39
The Father is in me, and I in him. Therefore they sought again to take him.

John 14:9
He that hath seen me hath seen the Father.

John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my God.

And other verses reinforce my opinion.

Acts 20:28
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Colossians 1:16
For by him [Jesus] were all things created.

Colossians 2:9
For in him [Jesus] dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

God was made manifest in the flesh.

Titus 2:13
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

Philippians 2:6
Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God.

Hebrews 1:8
But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Revelation 1:17
Fear not; I am the first and the last.

Revelation 22:13
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

That is my understanding also, Jesus was God in the flesh. Amen, to all His Word.

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory.

I would agree with that, but that doesn't mean he's God. You also quoted the "acceptable" gospels. What of the others? Like John and the Epistles you quoted, they were written after the fact. Aren't the non-Trinitarian gospels more in keeping with the OT One-God than the pagan-influenced Tripartite-God?

I don't know what non-Trinitarian gospels are, but I do know that Jesus appeared in the OT numerous times. And if I had more time I would cite chapter and verse of some of His appearances.

Several things here.............

First off, Yeshua (Jesus to you Christians) was a good Jewish man who understood Judaic theology. He conversed and debated with rabbis and also taught in parables, which is how a rabbi teaches.

Now, in Judaic theology, one of the things that is taught is that at around the 40 day mark, God carves off a small piece of His energy and places it into the embryo created by your parents. When Yeshua stated "the Father and I are One", He was talking about that particular thought, and, He was trying to teach everyone else (who wasn't Jewish) that we are ALL a small piece of God.

Additionally, Yeshua didn't come to save those of the Judaic belief system. Why? Because as God's Chosen People (because of what their ancestor Abraham did), they ALREADY had a connection to HaShem. He came for the Gentiles (everyone else), which is why He stated that He was the Way (telling people how to get in touch with God), the Truth (He didn't lie about anything), and the Light (Yeshua actually means "Son of Light").

Additionally, after the Resurrection, His disciples asked Him when He was coming back, and Yeshua stated "nobody knows the day except for the Father", which means that since He didn't know when He was coming back, Yeshua isn't God.

Does it bother me if someone says that Yeshua and HaShem are 2 different entities? No, because I know they are already.

First off, Yeshua (Jesus to you Christians) was a good Jewish man who understood Judaic theology. He conversed and debated with rabbis and also taught in parables, which is how a rabbi teaches.

Now, in Judaic theology, one of the things that is taught is that at around the 40 day mark, God carves off a small piece of His energy and places it into the embryo created by your parents. When Yeshua stated "the Father and I are One", He was talking about that particular thought, and, He was trying to teach everyone else (who wasn't Jewish) that we are ALL a small piece of God.

Additionally, Yeshua didn't come to save those of the Judaic belief system. Why? Because as God's Chosen People (because of what their ancestor Abraham did), they ALREADY had a connection to HaShem. He came for the Gentiles (everyone else), which is why He stated that He was the Way (telling people how to get in touch with God), the Truth (He didn't lie about anything), and the Light (Yeshua actually means "Son of Light").

Additionally, after the Resurrection, His disciples asked Him when He was coming back, and Yeshua stated "nobody knows the day except for the Father", which means that since He didn't know when He was coming back, Yeshua isn't God.

Does it bother me if someone says that Yeshua and HaShem are 2 different entities? No, because I know they are already.

Are you jewish?

I didn't think jews believed Jesus was the Messiah.

Are you jewish?

No, I'm not Jewish, I'm a Taoist, but many of the tenents in Tao are the same as what they are in Judaic theology.

And............FWIW........when Yeshua first set things up, His disciples were considering if they had to make everyone Jewish or not.

Are you jewish?

No, I'm not Jewish, I'm a Taoist, but many of the tenents in Tao are the same as what they are in Judaic theology.

And............FWIW........when Yeshua first set things up, His disciples were considering if they had to make everyone Jewish or not.

Jews as I've read don't believe in a child of god , the saying was god is so great he can have neither son nor daughter ,

jesus and his group were only Jews ,

they would not except gentiles into their Christan group until;l they were in serious shit , then need numbers and money and then they decided to proselytize gentiles , to compete with pagan legends they made up crap .

this is were after life started .

believe and you wont die .

If He isn't then the scriptures are false. So yes, It matters.

Either He is who He claimed to be or He is a complete fraud. There really isnt much room for compromise on that.

Either He is who He claimed to be or He is a complete fraud. There really isnt much room for compromise on that.

I don't recall a scripture where he said, "I am God". There are passages where you could interpret it that way, but you could also interpret it as Muslims and non-Trinitarian Christian do, that he was a lesser created being, NOT God.

I don't recall a scripture where he said, "I am God". There are passages where you could interpret it that way, but you could also interpret it as Muslims and non-Trinitarian Christian do, that he was a lesser created being, NOT God.

Although Jesus never stated " I am God" he did say that "the Father and I are one".

John 10:30

Forum List

Back