Does Florida’s “Don’t say Gay Bill” prohibit instruction on heterosexual couples?

The law doesn’t say talking about sex

It specifically prohibits talking about sexual orientation without specifying WHICH orientation

So that would mean discussing heterosexual as well as homosexual orientations
Children should not be exposed to perversions.

The Bill states “Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards."

The bill does not specifically specify discussion about homosexuality.
So if a teacher reads a book about a family with a Mommy and a Daddy, isn’t that a discussion of their sexual orientation?

Is a book written about a little girl or a little boy identifying their gender identity?

According to the law, a school system can be sued if a teacher provides instruction about ANY sexual orientation …..Heterosexual, Homosexual or Transsexual
The thing I've noticed that most people don't talk about is that it covers both "sexual orientation" and "gender identity," which are two very different things. "Sexual orientation" implies sex and, yeah, I can understand why people don't want teacher mass-instructing a room full of eight-year-olds about who to bang and how. "Gender identity," though, is about how you fit into society, and whether you prefer masculine cultural ideals such as wearing pants, playing with trucks, or being called "Steve," or feminine ones such as wearing skirts, playing with dolls, or going by "Stephanie."

Back when I was in school, there were a few of the girls in my class that we called tomboys, and some boys that we called "shy" or "sensitive" because they'd rather play with the toy nurse kits or the E-Z Bake Oven than throw a football. We didn't use or even know the term "gender identity" back then, but wasn't that the same exploration of who they were and what they liked? Isn't that a huge part of being a kid, figuring out what you like and how you like to present yourself?

I worry, then, that this will provide an excuse to allow reactionary parents or politicians to demand the firings of gay or LGBT-friendly teachers, or shut down teachable moments about why so-and-so has two Daddies, or why a certain teacher dressed like a boy last year and dresses like a girl now. There is wisdom behind putting out state-wide guidelines about how to approach the subject, but I am concerned that elevating it to a law, for which someone can be arrested, is inviting a treatment that is worse than the disease.

The thing I've noticed that most people don't talk about is that it covers both "sexual orientation" and "gender identity," which are two very different things. "Sexual orientation" implies sex and, yeah, I can understand why people don't want teacher mass-instructing a room full of eight-year-olds about who to bang and how. "Gender identity," though, is about how you fit into society, and whether you prefer masculine cultural ideals such as wearing pants, playing with trucks, or being called "Steve," or feminine ones such as wearing skirts, playing with dolls, or going by "Stephanie."

Back when I was in school, there were a few of the girls in my class that we called tomboys, and some boys that we called "shy" or "sensitive" because they'd rather play with the toy nurse kits or the E-Z Bake Oven than throw a football. We didn't use or even know the term "gender identity" back then, but wasn't that the same exploration of who they were and what they liked? Isn't that a huge part of being a kid, figuring out what you like and how you like to present yourself?

I worry, then, that this will provide an excuse to allow reactionary parents or politicians to demand the firings of gay or LGBT-friendly teachers, or shut down teachable moments about why so-and-so has two Daddies, or why a certain teacher dressed like a boy last year and dresses like a girl now. There is wisdom behind putting out state-wide guidelines about how to approach the subject, but I am concerned that elevating it to a law, for which someone can be arrested, is inviting a treatment that is worse than the disease.

You're spending a lot of time worrying about whether or not the Titanic has termites, then. And you REALLY don't understand the place of non-parents in the life of other people's children. I worry that you think there are any "teachable moments" for someone who is not a child's parent about "why does so-and-so have two daddies, and why is that teacher running around calling themselves a different sex from last year". Once upon a time, people understood that the correct answer to those questions was, "You should talk to your parents about that."

I'm saddened that there are people like you in this country who need to be told this, but I'll tell you anyway: If you didn't birth them and/or don't have legal custody of them, YOU HAVE NO SAY IN RAISING THEM. Stop thinking you do. No one cares what you're "worried" about regarding how children that aren't yours are raised. How DARE you try to deal yourself into it?

You're spending a lot of time worrying about whether or not the Titanic has termites, then. And you REALLY don't understand the place of non-parents in the life of other people's children. I worry that you think there are any "teachable moments" for someone who is not a child's parent about "why does so-and-so have two daddies, and why is that teacher running around calling themselves a different sex from last year". Once upon a time, people understood that the correct answer to those questions was, "You should talk to your parents about that."

I'm saddened that there are people like you in this country who need to be told this, but I'll tell you anyway: If you didn't birth them and/or don't have legal custody of them, YOU HAVE NO SAY IN RAISING THEM. Stop thinking you do. No one cares what you're "worried" about regarding how children that aren't yours are raised. How DARE you try to deal yourself into it?
You're talking about teachers imposing their own morality over that of their parents, and you are correct in that (under normal circumstances) teachers already aren't supposed to do that. I'm talking about teaching that LGBT attitudes and lifestyles exist, what they mean, and that some people live their lives in those ways. When students ask about gay parents or a trans teacher or something, teachers have to be able to say "Well, sometimes a couple can be two men" or "Yes, Miss Smith was a boy last year, but now she chooses to live as a girl" without being fired or arrested for it.

Teachers teach about life and society all the time; it's a lot more than just math and science. They also give kids confidence, build up their self-esteem and social skills, and teach about how the world works around them. There are already many MANY rules for teachers that keep them from crossing the line into "Forget what your parents say, little Billy, being gay is fun and exciting, and you should give it a try!"

You're talking about teachers imposing their own morality over that of their parents, and you are correct in that (under normal circumstances) teachers already aren't supposed to do that. I'm talking about teaching that LGBT attitudes and lifestyles exist, what they mean, and that some people live their lives in those ways. When students ask about gay parents or a trans teacher or something, teachers have to be able to say "Well, sometimes a couple can be two men" or "Yes, Miss Smith was a boy last year, but now she chooses to live as a girl" without being fired or arrested for it.

Teachers teach about life and society all the time; it's a lot more than just math and science. They also give kids confidence, build up their self-esteem and social skills, and teach about how the world works around them. There are already many MANY rules for teachers that keep them from crossing the line into "Forget what your parents say, little Billy, being gay is fun and exciting, and you should give it a try!"

And I'm talking about you having no place whatsoever in deciding that children in pre-k through 3rd grade need to be "taught that LGBT attitudes and lifestyles exist". If you're still trying to find some way in which that is okay to discuss in any way with someone else's children and without their consent, then I 100% stand by my statement that you don't understand your place in the lives of other people's kids, and should be kept far away from them.

One more time, Creepy Neighbor Guy All The Parents Avoid: the ONLY proper answer a teacher should give to questions that don't involve academics: "You should talk to your parents about that." Applies to religion, applies to politics, applies to death, and applies to sex.

With children that young, the only teaching about life and society that teachers should be giving is, "Share the toys, no pushing or hitting, don't say the words your daddy uses when he hits his thumb with the hammer." That's it, that's all. If they can't figure out how to "give confidence" and "build self-esteem and social skills" without talking about LGBT lifestyles, then they need to find a job as far away from other people's kids as they can.

Forum List

Back