Does Dick Cheney believe his lies?

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Does Dick Cheney believe his lies? - CNN.com

In the first months of the Bush-Cheney administration, Cheney was ordered to convene a task force on terrorism. Instead, he ignored the problem, the Cheney terror task force never met, and the warnings about an impending terrorist attack were ignored.

Later, instead of apologizing, Cheney cravenly blamed the White House counterterrorism czar (PDF), Dick Clarke, who had tried to warn anyone who would listen that an attack was coming. "Richard Clarke was the head of the counterterrorism program in the run up to 9/11," Cheney said. "He obviously missed it." Blaming the guy who did his job when you're the one who didn't do yours.

Cheney did and said anything to drag America into a war with Iraq. The good folks at the Washington Post's Vox have compiled a damning indictment of Cheney's deep dishonesty about Iraq. In the interest of brevity, let me focus on a few lowlights:

He said the lead 9/11 hijacker "did go to Prague, and he did meet with a senior official of the Iraqi intelligence service ... several months before the attack." Wrong, according to a Senate Intelligence Committee report.

He said Saddam had "an established relationship with al Qaeda." Wrong (PDF).

Cheney claimed there was "irrefutable evidence" Saddam had reconstituted his nuclear program. Wrong.

He said Saddam "had an established relationship with al Qaeda, providing training to al Qaeda members in areas of poisons, gases and conventional bombs." Wrong (PDF).

He said there was "overwhelming" evidence of ties between al Qaeda and Iraq. Wrong.

One can debate whether Cheney's misstatements were the result of willful mendacity or incompetence. I believe the former. But at a deeper level, it does not matter. Regardless of whether Cheney is a liar or a fool, thousands of heroic American troops are dead. Tens of thousands are injured. Iraq is a disaster -- and will be for years to come. And America is weaker and poorer because of Cheney

Why does anyone listen to what Cheney has to say? He has been wrong so often and lied us into a war

Last edited:
I don't think they are. Cheney is not liked. They bring him up and prop him up and act like he has something to say and a lot of the people on the right shrug their shoulders and carry on.

They keep trying to sell him and the media goes along with it.

It's like Condoleezza Rice.

These people have no idea how despised they are. I think they really thought that they would be able to garner support and respect simply because of their former positions. They can't and won't.

In the first months of the Bush-Cheney administration, Cheney was ordered to convene a task force on terrorism. Instead, he ignored the problem, the Cheney terror task force never met, and the warnings about an impending terrorist attack were ignored.

Later, instead of apologizing, Cheney cravenly blamed the White House counterterrorism czar (PDF), Dick Clarke, who had tried to warn anyone who would listen that an attack was coming. "Richard Clarke was the head of the counterterrorism program in the run up to 9/11," Cheney said. "He obviously missed it." Blaming the guy who did his job when you're the one who didn't do yours.

Cheney did and said anything to drag America into a war with Iraq. The good folks at the Washington Post's Vox have compiled a damning indictment of Cheney's deep dishonesty about Iraq. In the interest of brevity, let me focus on a few lowlights:

He said the lead 9/11 hijacker "did go to Prague, and he did meet with a senior official of the Iraqi intelligence service ... several months before the attack." Wrong, according to a Senate Intelligence Committee report.

Cheney claimed there was "irrefutable evidence" Saddam had reconstituted his nuclear program. Wrong.

He said Saddam "had an established relationship with al Qaeda, providing training to al Qaeda members in areas of poisons, gases and conventional bombs." Wrong (PDF).

He said there was "overwhelming" evidence of ties between al Qaeda and Iraq. Wrong.

One can debate whether Cheney's misstatements were the result of willful mendacity or incompetence. I believe the former. But at a deeper level, it does not matter. Regardless of whether Cheney is a liar or a fool, thousands of heroic American troops are dead. Tens of thousands are injured. Iraq is a disaster -- and will be for years to come. And America is weaker and poorer because of Cheney

Why does anyone listen to what Cheney has to say? He has been wrong so often and lied us into a war

No, I don't think Cheney believes his lies. He knows they are lies. He is a textbook sociopath. Plain and simple. All he is missing is the diagnosis (or it secretly exists).

Cheney seems like a man with some intelligence and I'm sure he doesn't believe his lies, but others do, and that's the point.

No, I don't think Cheney believes his lies. He knows they are lies. He is a textbook sociopath. Plain and simple. All he is missing is the diagnosis (or it secretly exists).

Cheney didn't get the 'liar of the year' award, but your hero did.

He is a textbook sociopath. Plain and simple.

About 20% of AmeriKa. We call them TP, right wingers, Ditto heads,etc

Dick Cheney whose lies are directly responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths??

Cheney did win "Marksman of the Year" after his hunting escapades. 12 gage Dick is to be dismissed and ignored.

Cheney seems like a man with some intelligence and I'm sure he doesn't believe his lies, but others do, and that's the point.
I was going to say...Cheney as been spinning lies into "truth" for so long now that his spin & position of ruthless greed/power has become everyone's grim new unwanted reality.

The same can be said for a certain group on the far left too.

Dick Cheney is a great man and was a fine vice president. He was right to advocate removing the Hussein regime. Regrettable that it couldn't have been quicker and cleaner.

Obama's "lies" did not kill 4000 Americans....Cheneys did

Why does anyone listen to what Cheney has to say? He has been wrong so often and lied us into a war.

True.

Indeed, GWB is as much a victim of Cheney's lies as the American people; Bush is still culpable as an unwitting accomplice, but a victim in many respects nonetheless.

And I thought notfooledbyW liked to beat a dead horse...

Paul Begala? LOL Really?

Forum List

Back