does cosmic imperfection prove god doesnt exist?

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
The elements we are made of exist because of cosmic imperfection. Such as a star exploding creating carbon. In fact, most elements on earth were created from star explosions.
If the cosmos was perfect, would any of this (reality) even exist?
I bring this up because according to theologians, their god is perfect. Which, obviously, gets contradicted by what i posted above.
Is their god really not perfect? Was his story really just made up by desert savages who had to explain things they didnt understand? Or is science wrong?

The elements we are made of exist because of cosmic imperfection. Such as a star exploding creating carbon. In fact, most elements on earth were created from star explosions.
I bring this up because according to theologians, their god is perfect. Which, obviously, gets contradicted by what i posted above.
Is their god really not perfect? Was his story really just made up by desert savages who had to explain things they didnt understand? Or is science wrong?

Are we still trying to explain things we don't understand? Like, we haven't moved on much?

Are we still trying to explain things we don't understand? Like, we haven't moved on much?
This was just a debate i have never seen take place. Frankly, i think its a darn good one too. Lol

This was just a debate i have never seen take place. Frankly, i think its a darn good one too. Lol

"Their" Gods? How many Gods are there?

Or maybe there aren't any.

Why are we so fixated on Him?

I would lean toward this being one of the bad arguments against a deity, because it could be addressed in several ways...

1. It's an argument from ignorance fallacy - "we can't think of any other reason stars would die, if it weren't due to error or imperfection., therefore, they're designed imperfectly" = a.f.i. fallacy.
2. It's a categorical error - you're equivocating death with imperfection without knowledge of any intended goal of a star.
3. Their appeal to "god works in mysterious ways" is annoying, but works to address the claim of contradiction and exacerbates that it's an argument from ignorance Ala point 1.

That's a start.

Hundreds, maybe thousands.
How many Buddhists do you think live in america?
Or sumerians? Or falun gongists?

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
maybe the problem is you assuming what and how things are created,,,

it takes a lot of arrogance to say you know how something happened 300 billion yrs ago when most of the evidence says otherwise

I'm gonna have to say the problem is you not god

Hundreds, maybe thousands.
How many Buddhists do you think live in america?
Or sumerians? Or falun gongists?

I can imagine. I see them every time I pass through immigration in Dulles Airport.

OTOH, we have all of those here too. Including American Mormon missionairies, insisting we read The Book of Mormon.

Maybe God is a construct.

" The elements we are made of exist because of cosmic imperfection."

I generally like your comments. You are on level. But that is one big assumption. Is that a quote from Hawking or did you come up with that?

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

I generally like your comments. You are on level. But that is one big assumption. Is that a quote from Hawking or did you come up with that?
I believe it's technically accurate to say that we're made of stardust; however, the colloquial use of the term "imperfection" implies a conscious goal that the universe is out of accord with, which would be an unsupported claim.

I would lean toward this being one of the bad arguments against a deity, because it could be addressed in several ways...

1. It's an argument from ignorance fallacy - "we can't think of any other reason stars would die, if it weren't due to error or imperfection., therefore, they're designed imperfectly" = a.f.i. fallacy.
2. It's a categorical error - you're equivocating death with imperfection without knowledge of any intended goal of a star.
3. Their appeal to "god works in mysterious ways" is annoying, but works to address the claim of contradiction and exacerbates that it's an argument from ignorance Ala point 1.

That's a start.
Perfection isnt possible. Although i see where you are going with point 1.
If stars were perfect, why would they run out of fuel?
Is death itself imperfection?

That's a start.
Perfection is being in accord with a goal.

To say that something in the universe is either perfect, or imperfect, you'd have to come up with a rationality for calling something the "universe's goal," and shy of the Universe being directed by a conscience and knowing that conscience's goal - or the Universe itself being conscious and knowing ITS goal, you cannot say whether a star burning out is something perfect or imperfect.

It was observed from like 100000 stars. Spectroscopy, i believe was the technique.
The universe being imperfect came from Hawking though.

That's a start.

If a god were omnipotent, there would be no need for any exploding star to happen. No reason for the star to have a goal. Omnipotence means the intended end result is the beginning state.

It was observed from like 100000 stars. Spectroscopy, i believe was the technique.
the only thing observable from a star is its color and nothing else

That's a start.

If a god were omnipotent, there would be no need for any exploding star to happen. No reason for the star to have a goal. Omnipotence means the intended end result is the beginning state.
That's just a string of claims - support them. The need or non-need for a star to explode seems it would require omnipotence to even know in the first place, so I'm not sure where you're drawing that from.

That's a start.
Perfection is being in accord with a goal.

To say that something in the universe is either perfect, or imperfect, you'd have to come up with a rationality for calling something the "universe's goal," and shy of the Universe being directed by a conscience and knowing that conscience's goal - or the Universe itself being conscious and knowing ITS goal, you cannot say whether a star burning out is something perfect or imperfect.
Im not sure i can debate that terminology. "Goal" and such.
What if it just "is"

That's a start.
I'm really not sure death is an imperfection, or in this case destruction being an imperfection. If nothing died, we'd be neck deep in people and plants and woolly mammoths, etc. Maybe everything has its expiration date. It has to be or we'd be crowded out and so would the universe, probably. I don't necessarily mean that some intelligence set the date, but the yin-yang thing is always at work. The opposite of a thing seems to always be in the wings, waiting to undo it.

The only thing observable about your god is an ancient book put together by a select group of individuals that was written by ignorant desert savages that wiped their ass with their hands and fucked their relatives

The only thing observable about your god is an ancient book put together by a select group of individuals that was written by ignorant desert savages that wiped their ass with their hands and fucked their relatives

nice deflection
and who said it was my god???

Forum List

Back