Does anyone here understand the term "insurgent"?

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
I've been reading here for months and always questioned the term "insurgent" as applied to American opposition in Iraq. Consider that many here tend to believe that "insurgent" means some uninvited or otherwise outside force manipulating internal politics. Actually what it does mean is "rising in revolt against established authority". Herein I have a problem.

Typically, all reference to "insurgents" in the context of Iraq are included with remarks bearing reference to al Queda or other religious fundamentalist Islamists. Surely you're not impying that Islamists in general are "insurgents" anymore than our occupiers of Iraq are religious fundamentalist Christians, or are you? I don't ever recall any reference to the Shiites, Sunnis, Baathists or even the Kurds as "insurgents" before the war we now have in Iraq and there are thousands of references of pre-war vintage. How did the term "insurgent" finally enter into the equation?

I once posted an article that would entertain the reference of myself as an "insurgent" should I defend myself and my country should an outside force invade us, the USA, due to some international difference with GWB. I was immediately assured that "No, you would be a patriot." So now I find myself confused.

Considering that Iraq is now a sovereign nation ruled by a council that hasn't been democratically elected and the US has never demonstrated established authority there, what do we now call the opposition? Patriots, insurgents, malcontents, whatever. We simply must have a media friendly name for them. Don't you think?

Psychoblues

posted by PsychoSurely you're not impying that Islamists in general are "insurgents" anymore than our occupiers of Iraq are religious fundamentalist Christians, or are you? I don't ever recall any reference to the Shiites, Sunnis, Baathists or even the Kurds as "insurgents" before the war we now have in Iraq and there are thousands of references of pre-war vintage. How did the term "insurgent" finally enter into the equation?

Hell no I don't call them 'insurgents' 'activists' 'freedom fighters' or any other euphamism. I call them, terrorists, without quotes. I believe that Reuters began that nonsense and the other media picked it up.

Originally posted by Psychoblues
I certainly dig that, Kathianne!!!!!!!!! But what about the rest?

Psychoblues

I would assume you are referring to the civilians? They are always called, civilians or Iraqi people. Not by any euphamism that I've ever seen. Not even Islamics for that matter, unless in religious discussions.

Semantics. Insurgents may be PC, I call them terrorists. Or animals. I particularly like to call them Goat Meat after our Troops shoot the snot out of them.

So, based on what I'm reading so far, it would be acceptable for many of you to call me "terrorist", up to and including "dog shit" should I decide to defend my nation against a foreign agressor that had political differences with GWB? Or am I confusing the double standard? "Insurgent" is just so innocent, or don't you agree?

Psychoblues

So, based on what I'm reading so far, it would be acceptable for many of you to call me "terrorist", up to and including "dog shit" should I decide to defend my nation against a foreign agressor that had political differences with GWB? Or am I confusing the double standard? "Insurgent" is just so innocent, or don't you agree?

Psychoblues

Actually, I think you are innocent. :D

Originally posted by Sir Evil
Yes, that would be a smart guess! Insurgent is what you make of it on this issue. You don't like Bush? well then don't vote for him. If you are suggesting wagin war against your non political backers you are easily putting yourself on the level of a terrorist!

Most of the time, Sir Evil? You are being too generous.

Psychoblues

Nah Psycho you are just plain old dogshit armed conflict or not. Shit I doubt you could even shoot straight at a foriegn aggressor considering you'd have looted the local liquor store and have a case of Busch stuffed under each arm.

...that when I read a post by Psycho...HAL2000 comes to mind?

Man, I was just sitting here reading through this thread and that thought hit me!

Pretty scarry in my head these days.

:D

Hey, don't take anything I might say personally, OK? I contend the original thought. "Insurgent", patriot, freedom fighter, including a few others added in this thread like dog shit, pig shit, Iraqi's people are about all the same, at least according to several that have chosen to expose themselves in this thread.

I resent the word "insurgent" as it applies to people only trying to defend their own freedoms and properties, that's it. Maybe it's that you've never had to defend anything other than your words and that's the problem. Defending your "property" against any agressor is a very serious thing for most of us. But, maybe you didn't understand?

Psychoblues

Hey, don't take anything I might say personally, OK? I contend the original thought. "Insurgent", patriot, freedom fighter, including a few others added in this thread like dog shit, pig shit, Iraqi's people are about all the same, at least according to several that have chosen to expose themselves in this thread.

I resent the word "insurgent" as it applies to people only trying to defend their own freedoms and properties, that's it. Maybe it's that you've never had to defend anything other than your words and that's the problem. Defending your "property" against any agressor is a very serious thing for most of us. But, maybe you didn't understand?

Psychoblues

uh, who the hell is that directed to?

Anyone that might be able to connect "Insurgent" with "Patriot" with "dog shit" as referenced earlier in this thread. 'Zat you, Buckwheat?

Psychoblues

I already explained that this is nothing more than a game of semantics about the word 'Insurgents', and you pointedly ignore the fact that most of the combatants are unwelcome foriegners.

Your Apples and Oranges comparison of the fighting in Iraq and some mysterious nation invading the USA because they (and you) don't like GWB is a stretch.

I know where you'd like to go with this, but I won't bite.

Forum List

Back