DOE wants to eliminate sports altogether

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Yeah, I know, you don't believe me.

The feds are ordering schools across the country to make "reasonable" changes to sports programs so that disabled students can play — or else create separate teams for them.
The new guidance from the Education Department issued Friday was hailed by advocates for the disabled but denounced by a conservative think-tank that said it could cost big bucks for cash-strapped schools.
"We think it’s huge and historic. In my opinion it could have the same effect, if properly implemented, as Title IX did for women," said Kirk Bauer, executive director of Disabled Sports USA.

Disabled students must be given sports, says Education Dept. - U.S. News

Did any of these idiots actually pay attention to what Title IX actually accomplished?

If alterations to a traditional team aren't feasible, schools must create a sports program that is open to disabled students, the order says. If there aren't enough students, schools should seek to create district-wide, regional or mixed-gender programs.
That part of the directive could be a huge financial burden, said Mike Petrilli, executive vice president of the Thomas B. Fordham Institute, a right-leaning educational research nonprofit.

Sports programs are already open to the disabled, all they have to do is demonstrate enough ability to make the team. Haven't we already had kids with one arm playing baseball and a kid with a club foot kicking for a high school football team. DOE should be abolished, they do nothing but waste money.

its about government control. the handicap has nothing to do with it.
pretty soon they'll tell ya what hand ya have to wipe your butt with.

Man. I wish nutters could just let go of their pragmatic ways and dive headfirst into hyperbole every once in a while.

OP. What is the time frame within which the changes MUST be made? Can we expect an end to Friday night football before the 2013 season starts?

Sports programs are already open to the disabled, all they have to do is demonstrate enough ability to make the team. Haven't we already had kids with one arm playing baseball and a kid with a club foot kicking for a high school football team. DOE should be abolished, they do nothing but waste money.

Seen a video of a down syndrome kid sinking a couple 3 pointers this week. I agree, If they can make the team have at it.

Man. I wish nutters could just let go of their pragmatic ways and dive headfirst into hyperbole every once in a while.

OP. What is the time frame within which the changes MUST be made? Can we expect an end to Friday night football before the 2013 season starts?

Tomorrow or 10yrs from now what's the difference? Making exceptions for anyone in competition is wrong wrong wrong.

Tomorrow or 10yrs from now what's the difference? Making exceptions for anyone in competition is wrong wrong wrong.

Um....nobody is making exceptions. They are trying to make opportunities. And the answer to my question is.............never. No time requirements were set forth. This is a toothless mandate. HS sports will not be ended.

I don't think alot of people actually understand what this is about (and/or taking this way out of context). There are kids out there with disabilities who want to try to participate in sports, but who are denied based simply because they are disabled. I'm talking about individual sports. And there's really no good reason for it. As the article mentions, a strobe light starting system would allow deaf students to participate on the track team. That is reasonable. Nobody is suggesting that schools be forced to put wheelchair bound students on the football team. That's not reasonable. Another article I read yesterday about this same subject mentioned a champion para-olympian runner who was denied the opportunity to run on her HS track team. It's a shame, because there was no reason to do that to her.

Now, I don't know how I feel about this proposal that the President is putting forward. There are details that need to be hammered out obviously. I'll be interested to see how it all develops. But it's absurdity to act like "OMGBIGBROTHERGOVERNMENTBULLY!!" about it.

The Amputee Wrestler | Video - ABC News

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MtXx6UtrXLw]Video: Dustin Carter - YouTube[/ame]

Oscar-Pistorius-002.jpg

I just had this image of a government bureaucrat pushing a wheelchair bound Stephen Hawking down a football field while screaming "Make the catch!"

Um....nobody is making exceptions. They are trying to make opportunities. And the answer to my question is.............never. No time requirements were set forth. This is a toothless mandate. HS sports will not be ended.

The history of unintended consequences is lengthy and I have no doubt some progressive administrator somewhere would take it to the extreme. But time will tell, and no I don't have a fuckin link.

The history of unintended consequences is lengthy and I have no doubt some progressive administrator somewhere would take it to the extreme. But time will tell, and no I don't have a fuckin link.

Progressives love HS football too. Burst out of that bubble. We need you out here.

Yes you keep your existing football.

The availability of football just dries up over time.

Last edited:

Nice to see a rational response to my post.

Seen a video of a down syndrome kid sinking a couple 3 pointers this week. I agree, If they can make the team have at it.

That is not what the rules are saying though, is it? Letting them play if they can make the team is one thing, forcing the schools to accommodate them in even if they can't is something else. The way this works is that a kid in a wheelchair who wants to play basketball either has to pay on the regular team, or the school has to create a new team for him. The general result will be that no one can play sports because the schools cannot afford to field different teams for each of the special kids and the regular ones that can actually play.

I don't think alot of people actually understand what this is about (and/or taking this way out of context). There are kids out there with disabilities who want to try to participate in sports, but who are denied based simply because they are disabled. I'm talking about individual sports. And there's really no good reason for it. As the article mentions, a strobe light starting system would allow deaf students to participate on the track team. That is reasonable. Nobody is suggesting that schools be forced to put wheelchair bound students on the football team. That's not reasonable. Another article I read yesterday about this same subject mentioned a champion para-olympian runner who was denied the opportunity to run on her HS track team. It's a shame, because there was no reason to do that to her.

Now, I don't know how I feel about this proposal that the President is putting forward. There are details that need to be hammered out obviously. I'll be interested to see how it all develops. But it's absurdity to act like "OMGBIGBROTHERGOVERNMENTBULLY!!" about it.

The Amputee Wrestler | Video - ABC News

Video: Dustin Carter - YouTube

Feel free to point out anything I ever said that would lead you to beleive I object to allowing anyone that is capable of playing a sport to participate. After you do that you can explain how making schools accommodate a guy in a wheelchair how thinks he should be allowed to play football is not going to cause problems. The problem with these rules is that they will be backed with the full force of the government, which has already ruled that forcing people in a wheelchair to use a different door than anyone else simply because the front door of your store is located up an embankment is discrimination.

Only people that cannot think would support a decree like this.

Forum List

Back