Do you want to be a truck driver?

UllysesS.Archer

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2014
There is no employment forum, so the brass here can move this thread as they see fit.

Do you think you can drive a big rig? Do you want to make a decent living, with a little hard work, and time away from home, you can learn to drive a truck, if you have the ability to safely maintain a passenger vehicle, then you can probably drive a truck for a living.

I have been in the trucking industry for over 25 years now. I have been a dispatcher, a planner, but mostly a truck driver. I started off driving a dump truck on a class B CDL(commercial driver's license), I got my class A's within 6 months of that, and started pulling a dump trailer. I've pulled covered wagons, tankers, low boys, and mostly dry box trailers. I've worked on local jobs, where I was home every night, and paid by the hour, and on jobs where I'm paid by the mile and now a job where I am paid by the mile and by the hour. I average bringing home over a grand a week, that's after all the taxes, and health insurance, and 401k comes out, and that's a bunch of money there. My gross check averages over 1400 a week, and I'm usually gone from home for an average of 5 consecutive days a week.

Getting a job in the trucking industry is as easy right now, as it has ever been. Here are the major guidelines.
1. Be 21 years of age.
2. Have a clean driving record.
3. Have no DUI's.

If you can answer yes to all the above guidelines, then you can get a job as a truck driver, with the right training.

How can you get trained? It's so easy nowadays. A couple of well placed phone calls, and you can get a job driving a truck. My first suggestion is to call SWIFT, Schneider, and JB Hunt. From my understanding, they all now have programs which will pay for your training, if you sign a contract to work for them for a certain number of years. Not only that, but they might pay for your training, and pay you at the same time.

You are not going to make a thousand a week to start with. In this industry, you can't beat experience. The insurance companies insure that. Most good companies won't even look at your application unless you have at least 6 months experience, and the best companies require a year or 2. But, if you are willing to put in the time, then in 2 years, you can drive for a good company and average a grand a week, or even a few grand a week.

Some drivers buy their own trucks and bring home several thousand a week, there's a lot more work involved, And you must be willing to set aside a majority of your profits just in case you have a major malfunction.

What can you do to be more successful than others in the truck driving industry?

This is where I set myself apart from the majority of truck drivers on the road.
1. Drive safely, don't speed, and don't get tickets.
2. Keep your truck in good working order, in other words, do your pre trip inspection, and don't slack on tire pressure, and checking everything.
3.Wear decent clothing. You don't have to wear a suit, but wear pants and not shorts when at a customer.
4. Respect other truck drivers, how can you do this? Have you ever come to a traffic jam, and seen two trucks side by side, holding up one lane of traffic, while the other lane slowly moves, well, that is respect for the other truck driver. Your time is not more important than someone else's, no matter how conceited you might be.
5. Keep your cell phone out of reach, if you need it, then pull over and use it.
6. Respect 4 wheelers. They are for the most part, idiots, and will drive you crazy, but no, you can't run them over, even though you think that most of them will not make it home tonight.
7. Respect your DM's(driver manager), I bring mine fruit or donuts at least twice a month, as a thank you for their hard work in finding me loads.
8. Respect the customer.

There is a lot more to it, but the keyword is respect.

If you have any questions, please ask. And if you have trouble finding training, then please ask. There are hundreds of training places nowadays. And a driver shortage of over 30k, with an estimated shortage of 100k in 10 years. So get your foot in the door now, because driver pay is about to go thru the roof. In 10 years I expect to be bringing home over 2 grand a week, as a company driver.

Remember, if minimum wage goes up, everything goes up, and the one true rule of trucking. 'IF YOU HAVE IT, THEN A TRUCKER PROBABLY BROUGHT IT.'

An observation , I have been driving for over 40 years ( a car not truck) and have traveled a lot of interstates and see big rig drivers getting worse in their driving , unsafe moves, riding the bumpers of cars in the right lane before swinging out to pass, not slowing down in bad weather. Can it be because of time versus money now. or even more so then before?

Starting OTR pays squat...you're probably better off at McDonald's.
You can go to Western Express and bring home about 400 a week after taxes while learning to drive, work there 6 months and get a good job, what can you get after 6 months at mickey d's? A discount on big macs?

An observation , I have been driving for over 40 years ( a car not truck) and have traveled a lot of interstates and see big rig drivers getting worse in their driving , unsafe moves, riding the bumpers of cars in the right lane before swinging out to pass, not slowing down in bad weather. Can it be because of time versus money now. or even more so then before?
Yep, they are getting worse, and that's the majority of them.

But, car drivers are also getting worse. As I sit in my cab and drive, I watch everything, and notice much, and more than 70 percent of all women drivers, who are by themselves have their cell phone in their hands, and about half of the men do.

They think they can drive and text, but they really cant. They don't notice other vehicles with turn signals on, wanting to change lanes, or notice brake lights 2 cars ahead of them.

Most four wheelers don't realize that you cant stop 80,000 pounds on a dime, or a football field, or even 3 of them. It takes about 1200 feet for a truck to get stopped from 70 mph to zero, while maintaining total control of their truck.

It also takes a long time for a truck to gather or re-gather it's momentum. If you want to see better truck drivers, then most people should learn how to drive around a truck.
1. Don't hang around beside of it, pass it and give it some room.
2. don't pass a truck and then slow down, or turn off, if you do, and you wake up dead, then you should know why.
3. If you see a truck with a turn signal on, then assume it's coming over.
4. Turn on your dadburn headlights in the rain, this burns me up, as a truck driver we rely on our mirrors, and in a decent rain shower, we cant see that good past our own trailer, so if a car, or another truck doesn't have their lights on, they are increasing the chances that they will get run over, because they will not be seen.
5. Don't pass a truck on the trucks blind side, there is a passing side, and there is a suicide.
6. Maintain speed, don't slow down and speed up, most trucks are governed, and can only run 66 mph or so, a little more downhill, and a little less uphill, depending on the weight of the load.

And stay off the damn cell phone, keep it out of your hands, or be buried with it, it's your own choice.

I have no use for truck drivers who tailgate and speed, I have a dashcam, and it has been used to cost drivers their CDL's because they are dangerous on the road, and I lose no sleep over that. They give truck drivers a bad name. As far as 4 wheelers goes, we assume them all to be idiots, until they prove that they are not.

Dude, $400 a week is crap. It isn't even minimum wage.
Maybe not in Seattle, but it's better than minimum wage everywhere else.

But, if you want to spend your life flipping burgers and collecting foodies, then enjoy yourself, as for me, I'm putting in an in ground pool this summer. Only cost me 15 grand, paid with cash, I don't do credit. I couldn't have done that on a burger flipper's salary.

And working for years for peanuts afterwards!
How much do you get paid for going to college? Oh yeah, you pay to learn. And you pay for years afterwards.

If you can't put in a year working for peanuts, then put in a lifetime working for minimum wage or just a little more. If you live at home with your parents and let them pay your bills, you will be able to buy your own house in just around 10 years, as long as you don't spend any money and save all you get paid.

Dude, just stop. We BOTH know that most big OTR companies pay crap, demand they ignore HOS laws regularly, and generally treat drivers like garbage. (Offhand, I recall that to gross $50K/year for some carriers, you have to get 3000+ miles a week, every week!)

My son got his CDL 2 years after graduating high school. He spent 2 years driving furniture around the country for very little pay but now he drives for a local paving company driving tri-axle, low boys or whatever is needed. With overtime during the summer months he`s making about 60K with decent medical benefits and a very nice 401K plan. He became a home owner at the age of 25 and he has no college debts to worry about. He did well.

Dude, just stop. We BOTH know that most big OTR companies pay crap, demand they ignore HOS laws regularly, and generally treat drivers like garbage. (Offhand, I recall that to gross $50K/year for some carriers, you have to get 3000+ miles a week, every week!)
I don't know who you worked for, but let me tell you about my average week.

First of all, my wife goes with me everywhere. That costs me nothing.

I like to leave out on Sunday morning, I take my load to Bowling Green, KY. then reload a heavy load of detergent, going toward the York, Pa area, sometimes just inside of New Jersey. Most loads are drop and hooks, but if I live unload, then I don't get paid for the first hour of waiting, but I make 16 bucks an hour for every hour after that, I then head to either York or Baltimore to reload a load of empty detergent boxes to take back to Bowling Green.

2 rounds a week, takes me about 5 and a half days on average and I get in early on Friday morning.

This week I am leaving tomorrow morning heading to Bowling Green, to pick up a load heading to NJ for 6 am Wed morning deliver, i'll reload, probably in Baltimore, get back to Bowling Green on Thursday morning, and since I want to be in by Friday, ill get a load going to Dyersburg and back then head back to Morristown, get in about 2500 miles and bring home a nice paycheck.

If I get empty, and they don't have a reload for me, I only make 15 dollars an hour for waiting as long as I wait. I made 16 bucks an hour Friday night, while taking my 10 hour break, waiting to unload, it took them 10 hours, and I get paid for 9 of them. I slept and got paid for it.

Not all companies pay like that, but this one does. When I worked for Superservice I was bringing home over a grand a week, now I make better than that, and I get home for a 48 hour weekend every week. So it can be done. If you are a good driver, and I am. I deliver on time, and I don't get tickets, and I keep my truck in good working order.

I make 39 cpm on all miles, and 44 cpm on loads going east of PA, so all NJ loads. I usually end up with 3300 miles a week, but average over 600 miles a day, I pick my routes and stop where I want to fuel up and rest. I have benefits that most white collar workers would die for, and I love my job. What more could you want?

You're one of the lucky ones. Most big companies (Swift, CR England, Schneider) pay crap, treat drivers like crap, and will discaard you like a used tissue if you are not willing to ignore HOS completely. (A few years ago, CRE started drivers at 28 cents/mile.)

My son got his CDL 2 years after graduating high school. He spent 2 years driving furniture around the country for very little pay but now he drives for a local paving company driving tri-axle, low boys or whatever is needed. With overtime during the summer months he`s making about 60K with decent medical benefits and a very nice 401K plan. He became a home owner at the age of 25 and he has no college debts to worry about. He did well.
That's what my son is doing now, he is hauling lazy boys around for England, out of Tazewell, and bringing home about 500 a week, but in 3 more months, he has a job waiting for him where I work, he should be able to retire before 50 if he keeps his nose clean and works hard.

You're one of the lucky ones. Most big companies (Swift, CR England, Schneider) pay crap, treat drivers like crap, and will discaard you like a used tissue if you are not willing to ignore HOS completely. (A few years ago, CRE started drivers at 28 cents/mile.)
Call Super Service out of Somerset KY, they start around 42 cpm, and get you plenty of miles, and will not let you disregard HOS rules. And get you home every other weekend.

Forum List

Back