Do You Support The "Gun Show Loophole?"

Do You Support The "Gun Show Loophole?"

• Total voters
There is a lot of misinformation circulating about background checks for gun ownership.

Under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act—which created the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS)—all federal firearms licensees are required to conduct a background check for all firearms transactions, even if they sell the firearm at a gun show. This is to make sure that the gun isn’t being sold to a person who is prohibited from purchasing a gun under Section 922(g) or (n) of Title 18 of the United States Code, which would include convicted felons, people who have been adjudicated to be severely mentally ill, and people who have been convicted of a domestic violence offense.

President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I), and scores of others have repeated the mantra that approximately 40 percent of all gun purchases are conducted through private sales at gun shows and are not subject to a criminal background check. This has become known as the “gun show loophole.”

At a recent Senate hearing, Baltimore County Police Chief James Johnson went so far as to say, “Allowing 40 percent of those acquiring guns to bypass background checks is like allowing 40 percent of airline passengers to board a plane without going through airport security.”

What gun control proponents never say, though, is that this oft-repeated statistic is based on stale data that was grossly exaggerated even when it was fresh.

Background Checks: The Myth of the Gun Show Loophole

Oh, Well.

A spin off of the other thread where I have asked numerous times and not a single right winger has answered, is if you support the gun show loophole.

For those that may not know, under current federal law if you wish to purchases a firearm, you have to be run in a background check to make sure you are not a felon, been convicted of a violent crime, been in a mental institution, etc,..before they give the go ahead to sell that person a weapon. However under the "gun show loophole", there are not background checks at all.

That's right, absoutly nothing. A violent thug fresh out of the penitentiary, a terrorist, or a nutcases ready to commit the next sandy hook could go down to their local gun show, or find a classified ad selling a firearm and they could purchase deadly weapons, with no questions asked.

Selling a firearm to a felon is already illegal, even if you are NOT a federal firearms dealer.

and what is the difference between a craiglist ad and some guy arranging a street buy for you?

More restrictions on legal gunowners, and no effect on the illegal gun trade.

That's how the loophole works. While the felon will be committing another felony by owning the gun, the seller is good to go as they do not have to ask any questions or ask the buyer to undergo a background check.

Actually, again, selling a gun to a felon is illegal, and ignorance of the law does not protect you.

Selling a firearm to a felon is already illegal, even if you are NOT a federal firearms dealer.

and what is the difference between a craiglist ad and some guy arranging a street buy for you?

More restrictions on legal gunowners, and no effect on the illegal gun trade.

That's how the loophole works. While the felon will be committing another felony by owning the gun, the seller is good to go as they do not have to ask any questions or ask the buyer to undergo a background check.

Actually, again, selling a gun to a felon is illegal, and ignorance of the law does not protect you.

And tell us Einstein...HOW would a seller know if a buyer is a felon? By looks? Smell??

If I support background checks at gun shows will you give me the protection in the same law to transfer guns to my family or those otherwise known to me as legal recipients ?

And tell us Einstein...HOW would a seller know if a buyer is a felon? By looks? Smell??

A valid seller of good intentions could always go to a gun store, or do a lookup themselves. If the buyer has a CCW permit, then the seller knows all is well.

A dubious seller would ignore the law anyway. That is the crux of the argument.

A valid seller could also know the person very well, thus negating the need for the check.

~Thread cleaned. Stop with the incessant bickering and insulting. If you see an offending post, report it and move on. DO NOT quote it and respond to it. Ignore them. We will eventually get around to cleaning them out. Get back on topic and stop with the flames. Thank you.~

A spin off of the other thread where I have asked numerous times and not a single right winger has answered, is if you support the gun show loophole.

For those that may not know, under current federal law if you wish to purchases a firearm, you have to be run in a background check to make sure you are not a felon, been convicted of a violent crime, been in a mental institution, etc,..before they give the go ahead to sell that person a weapon. However under the "gun show loophole", there are not background checks at all.

That's right, absoutly nothing. A violent thug fresh out of the penitentiary, a terrorist, or a nutcases ready to commit the next sandy hook could go down to their local gun show, or find a classified ad selling a firearm and they could purchase deadly weapons, with no questions asked.

I support freedom, warts and all.

All tyranny gets us is these same people getting the same guns, cheaper, on the black market.

Not that I think any liberal is smart enough to understand this undeniable fact.

Best thing about that post, aside form 4 reps and lots of :2ups:

The leftist couldn't respond to the undeniable facts.

mmmm, sweet like cahndy
Better make it five

There is no "gun show loophole", it's bull shit made up by the left and the MSM. It doesn't exist.

Everyone, even the private sales undergo a background check? Do explain :eusa_think:

How is that a loophole? It's the law isn't it? Private sales doesn't require a background check. It isn't a loophole.

Isn't it amazing how your right wingers are always the guilty until proven innocent anti-American, anti-liberty turds when it comes to a poor man's crime. But when a gun dealer hides behind the gun show loophole and moves HUNDREDS of weapons posing as a 'private' seller, he is just a 'shrewd' entrepreneur?

Nothing doth more hurt in a state than that cunning men pass for wise.
Sir Francis Bacon

There is no such thing as the gun show loophole. It's a private sale loophole, whether or not weapons are sold at a gun show. And, it's not a loophole. A sale between private citizens without a background check is an illegal sale.

There are already laws, in place, right now, that govern private sales. Criminals don't obey those laws, so if we pass more laws, it is with the full expectation that criminals will spontaneously decide to obey those laws. That's what makes this whole little exercise utterly stupid.

Everyone, even the private sales undergo a background check? Do explain :eusa_think:

How is that a loophole? It's the law isn't it? Private sales doesn't require a background check. It isn't a loophole.

Isn't it amazing how your right wingers are always the guilty until proven innocent anti-American, anti-liberty turds when it comes to a poor man's crime. But when a gun dealer hides behind the gun show loophole and moves HUNDREDS of weapons posing as a 'private' seller, he is just a 'shrewd' entrepreneur?

Sir Francis Bacon

Considering grabbers such as yourself want to tax, permit, register and insurance requirement (which all cost $$) firearms out of the reach of poor people, who really are the progressives here?

I don't have an issue with less well off people who work hard and try to better themselves. Criminals and welfare leaches on the other hand, well regardless of color they can go pound sand.

I certainly don't want to restrict gun ownership to those of means (or governmental connections). Poor people who live in crappy neighborhoods need to be armed, and armed properly, even more than I do.

I support freedom, warts and all.

All tyranny gets us is these same people getting the same guns, cheaper, on the black market.

Not that I think any liberal is smart enough to understand this undeniable fact.

Best thing about that post, aside form 4 reps and lots of :2ups:

The leftist couldn't respond to the undeniable facts.

mmmm, sweet like cahndy
Better make it five

You were 6, then there's a 7th.

Sweet undeniable truth

Sir Francis Bacon
liar

When Zimmerman shot Trayvon, it was the liberals that declared him guilty and the conservatives that wanted evidence.

you're pathetic

It's called Compromise bud. The Only Requirements to get said license in my world would be no Felony Record, and no History of Mental Illness. Said license would not be per gun, but just per person. So it would not create some registry of every gun everyone owns. It would simply try and assure the Mentally Ill, and Felons are not able to legally buy a gun.

That is a reasonable Compromise that should end this debate if you ask me. Now you and I know that it will not stop Criminals from getting guns, But the lefties think it will, and they are not going to shut up about it anytime soon.

:)

I see no reason to compromise with anyone that wants to lock me in a cage.

I own a handful of guns Including an AR15 that I will not give up even if they say I have to, I am fully Pro Second. I just think Compromise now, or lose bigger later. If you have not noticed we are losing a lot of fights lately lol.

Hate to say this, but you are a fool. Show me one instance where the left has ever been satisfied with just one step, they will get everything the can now and will be back for more later when this shit proves to be ineffective. They always have and always will, my answer is not just no but HELL NO!

Authoritarian douchebags always call freedom a "loophole".

Freedom for criminals to buy weapons without a background check is what you are fighting for...great cause Jethro...great cause!

Authoritarian douchebags always call freedom a "loophole".

Freedom for criminals to buy weapons without a background check is what you are fighting for...great cause Jethro...great cause!

And requiring every legal gun transaction to have a background check will stop criminals from getting weapons how?

There is no "gun show loophole" as the OP stated.
It is a Federal Law that all dealers have to perform a background check on every sale they make.
I just bought a gun at a gun show and the background check was performed.

It is already the law that dealers perform the background checks and it doesn't matter where they are. If they sell a gun then they have to perform the check.
If they don't they can be prosecuted, fined or both.

Forum List

Back