Do you live in a HOA (Home Owners Assoc.) Development?

I commented that I couldn't be paid enough to live in a neighborhood next to some guy blasting music at midnight while working on his car in his unmowed yard. I was talking about city neighborhood living.

Were you referring to houses like this?

wk-overgrown.jpg

More like this.

View attachment 11550

In our area, the local governments are not too interested in expanding their responsibilities for trash collection, snow removal and street mantainance. A HOA is one way to handle that sort of thing. Also you can make up neat rules like no flags to be flown by vets. Oaky, so some things are good and others plain illegal in my opinion.

trailer trash and upper class
as we can see here, HOA are a great way for us to stay apart.

Bonfire away

Too bad you have no idea of relaxation in the great outdoors.

Sitting around a fire with friends in the chill of an autumn evening is as relaxing as it gets.

But you go ahead and stare at the idiot tube because your neighbors won't allow anyone to be outside in their yards after 8 PM.

Fucking sheep.

Listen Unibomber, diff strokes for diff folks.:cuckoo:

Too bad you have no idea of relaxation in the great outdoors.

Sitting around a fire with friends in the chill of an autumn evening is as relaxing as it gets.

But you go ahead and stare at the idiot tube because your neighbors won't allow anyone to be outside in their yards after 8 PM.

Fucking sheep.

Listen Unibomber, diff strokes for diff folks.:cuckoo:
Really? Only that wouldn't apply to you, right?
trailer trash and upper class
as we can see here, HOA are a great way for us to stay apart.

Bonfire away
:rolleyes:

I don't even want to drive by clothslines or bonfires much less have to smell that nasty shit next door when I'm downwind.

People pick where they live for a variety of reasons. It certainly is troublesome if you like camping and the neighbor is calling the police all the time on your campfire. It is also rough when you fertilize, weed, water and mow your lawn to near perfection and the neighbor seems to plant dandelions. The only real problem I see with HOAs is that the rules are often not clearly stated to people before they buy and once an exception is granted, it is unfair to impose it on others.

Our first house was a 15 year old townhouse. They had a HOA and they were strict. The side of the curtain that faced the street had to be white or off-white, Fall and spring outdoor inspection, they not only told you what color you could paint your house but the brand of paint to buy (for the specific colors they allowed), lawn boys there at least twice a week with their freakin' leaf blowers, fertilizers and sprays, no colored lights outside at Christmas only white lights to maintain that 'Williamsburg' look. :rolleyes: We hated, hated, hated living there for the 11 years we did. Hated townhouse living but hated the rules even more. Felt like we were back in school with the principal breathing down our necks. We knew going in what the deal was . . . . and learned very quickly that it wasn't our cup of tea.

We moved into this house, a single, almost 11 years ago. This development also has a HOA. A few years back they negotiated a better deal on our trash removal and they maintain the common ground (which is a few areas of fields of grass and the two entrances). And that's it. No inspections, no rule. If it wasn't for the large areas of grass that need to be maintained by someone there wouldn't be a reason for an HOA. This is fine with us and doesn't intrude on the choices we make for the outside of our home.

as a former property manager....if you dont like the hoa rules or covents ...dont buy there..simple as that....and some of the rules are just plain crazy.....but they are the rules

Our first house was a 15 year old townhouse. They had a HOA and they were strict. The side of the curtain that faced the street had to be white or off-white, Fall and spring outdoor inspection, they not only told you what color you could paint your house but the brand of paint to buy (for the specific colors they allowed), lawn boys there at least twice a week with their freakin' leaf blowers, fertilizers and sprays, no colored lights outside at Christmas only white lights to maintain that 'Williamsburg' look. :rolleyes: We hated, hated, hated living there for the 11 years we did. Hated townhouse living but hated the rules even more. Felt like we were back in school with the principal breathing down our necks. We knew going in what the deal was . . . . and learned very quickly that it wasn't our cup of tea.

We moved into this house, a single, almost 11 years ago. This development also has a HOA. A few years back they negotiated a better deal on our trash removal and they maintain the common ground (which is a few areas of fields of grass and the two entrances). And that's it. No inspections, no rule. If it wasn't for the large areas of grass that need to be maintained by someone there wouldn't be a reason for an HOA. This is fine with us and doesn't intrude on the choices we make for the outside of our home.

The point here being that not all HOA's are alike and if you are going to live in a neighborhood with one, it needs to be one with restrictions you like and support. To some, that is being a sheep. To others it means keeping the vermin who don't give a shit how thier actions affect others out of your living environment.

In theory, if the HOA has similiar tastes to your own, you should be happier than somewhere else. In essence, a town, village or city is the same thing, although a new rule can come into play more easily.

The point here being that not all HOA's are alike and if you are going to live in a neighborhood with one, it needs to be one with restrictions you like and support. To some, that is being a sheep. To others it means keeping the vermin who don't give a shit how thier actions affect others out of your living environment.

Absolutely. We would never, ever, ever live in a HOA like our first one. There are no rules with this HOA, no one telling us that we can't build a 'garage' on the patio to put our grill and charcoal bin into. Good thing too, cause it's almost done!

It's not being a sheep if you make the choice to live there in the first place. Different strokes for different folks is right . . . and as it should be.

I see Skull Pilot's point too. Your all fenced in with similar looking homes. Sort sheepy looking.

Last edited:
We have an HOA where we live...almost impossible to find newer homes without one. We ended up, first my wife and then I, getting on the board more in self defense. We find that it ends up being an unspoken war between the families with kids and the retired folks who don't want any kids making any noise and have the time to stick their noses over back fences.

I'm getting SO over HOA's...fortunately I now know how to work the system if they give us a hard time...like a board member tried to do to us a few years ago....sending us a violation letter for brown grass.....in January.

Forum List

Back