Do you live in a HOA (Home Owners Assoc.) Development?

Who says I run power saws at 2 AM? And even if I did, My neighbors wouldn't hear it. And where did the detonation of bombs come from?

Oh that's right all of us anarchists who like to live on a lot of land and not have the Nosy Neighbor Nazis telling us what to do are just like the Unabomber.

And I can speak of snobbishness. Because I choose not to live in a cookie cutter neighborhood with a postage stamp of a yard it is assumed I live in a slum where people don't mow their lawns and have cars parked in their front yards?

If that is not a snobby elitist asshole remark I don't know what is.

The fact that you are judging where kwc lives and insinuating that it is a far inferior situation to your living arrangement is the definition of snobbiness.

"5 idyllic acres", "a pool room/ pub and mini movie theater" - sounds pretty SNOBBY ELITIST to me.

You forgot the wood shop and pistol range.

And a nice meth lab?

i don't see a lot of consistency in the enforcement of rules in our HOA. Since we live near the ocean and the bay, there are a lot of boats throughout the community, parked in driveways, on the grass, etc, and yet if a construction worker has a trailer, that has to go--it can't be parked on the property.

They also decided that an owner couldn't maintain a wildflower garden, and when the owner protested, the HOA just came in and mowed it down.

They have a contract (from the year 2000) with an inferior cable company which is to run on until 2020, even though the property owners have a lot of problems with the company. And they won't permit Verizon Fios to come in.

These are just a few of the problems with it, but as people have pointed out, there are very few communities you can buy into without an HOA.

Depends on the HOA.

Yes, I live in one. Very reasonable rules, nothing outrageous. They don't check the length of the lawn or anything like that.

I think the rules are pretty simple:

1. No abandoned vehicles in the driveway.

2. No chainlink fences

3. Mailboxes must be uniform throughout.

4. Lawns maintained (very vague....I've let mine get a little shaggy on occasion when I've a busy couple of weeks, never got a visit or a letter from the HOA. Mowed it when I got a chance. No biggie)

5. Siding must be neutral colors. No purple or anything like that. Same for the trim.

6. No signs in the front yard for more than 90 days. (so around election time, you can put out a lawn sign for your candidate if you like.)

Thats it. Fees are $120 per year. That mainly pays for the lawn service to maintain the entrance lawn and flower beds. We just get a friendly letter once a year that reminds us its dues time, and we pay it. Can't even hardly tell we live in an HOA community.

Forum List

Back