Do You Force Religion on Your Kids?

liberalogic said:
I wasn't really sending this in the direction of lying. My point was more about determining something that is so ambiguous (any religion) at an age where children can't comprehend the larger implications.

Take this for example: Do you talk to your kids about sex when they are really young? I'd doubt it. You probably don't do that because they can't understand it, they can only accept it. With religion, you can be told to accept the existence of Christ, Allah, or anyone else, but the Child doesn't realize that there might be more to it, less to it, or exactly what's there. They can only base that on their own experiences, research, or soul-searching. I'm not saying Christianity is a lie-- please don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, it should be left up the child (when they mature) without any bias training from the parents.

But, it is my duty as a parent to impart to my child the truth of life - A) to the degree, and B) in the manner - which I judge him to be mature enough to understand it. It's on ME. Christianity is as much the truth to me as is "take a coat with you - it's late winter in southwest Ohio". Why would I parse words on matters that I know to be the simple truth?

liberalogic said:
What no one has brought up, which I'd be interested to hear about, are the mentally handicapped. I bring this up specifically because my brother is autistic. So if he can never worship or can never understand God or really believe in him, is he condemned to hell? I'm genuinely interested in this answer, if anyone can throw something out there.

Anyone who teaches that God's wisdom, understanding, and mercy can be doubted is in error. God does not visit his wrath on the innocent.

GotZoom said:
Religious people will almost always say yes. Non-believers will say no.

Good question..but let me ask you this.

If parents don't use good biblical philosphy in the upbringing of their child/children...what would they use?

If not God..then what and how?
Aesop's fables? I know plenty of kids whose parents brought them up in a non-religious household who turned out great. In fact, I know none who were brought up in a non-religous household who turned out bad. Most bad kids I know were raised going to church every Sunday. I have a friend I went to highschool with who didn't even know who Jesus was in the 11th grade and he's a great guy. He's about to get married in the spring--he turned out fine.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gop_jeff again.

Nicely put, Jeff!

liberalogic said:
What no one has brought up, which I'd be interested to hear about, are the mentally handicapped. I bring this up specifically because my brother is autistic. So if he can never worship or can never understand God or really believe in him, is he condemned to hell? I'm genuinely interested in this answer, if anyone can throw something out there.
There is a mentally handicapped young man who works at our local grocery. he has told me that he wants to be good because he loves Jesus. He wants to work hard because he loves Jesus, and he wants to go to Heaven. The basics of Christianity are very easy to understand. Obey God out of love. That's really it in a nutshell. God has stated that He wants none to fall, and all to come to repentence. If He wants this, He will make it possible to do this. Of course the mentally handicapped can go to Heaven. Some may have an easier time of it than highly intelligent people, who can intellectualize love and obedience into the dust.

From what I've seen, the main problem is the tension between one's duty as a parent relative to faith and placing a divide between your child and you by not instilling faith.

I will say that I refute the argument of "why is the sky blue?" or other examples like that because those can be factually deduced. There is a scientific reason why the sky is blue, obviously a young kid won't understand. But there is a definite answer to that. Religion itself is diverse (that's why there's so many), so to juxtapose facts and ambiguity (something that is an opinion/belief, rather than a scientifically proven theory) is kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

I have heard very convincing arguments in favor of teaching religion to children at an early age. While I disagree in my mind, I agree in my heart. There are probably few other venues through which a family can bond as strongly as they do through religion. My bias may stem from personal experience, as religion did not do this for me.

I do stand to this though: children should know that there are other religions out there as well, which I'm sure they'll discover if they go to public school. They should at least be aware that they are making a choice to believe in Christ, rather than Allah or anyone else.

liberalogic said:
I do stand to this though: children should know that there are other religions out there as well, which I'm sure they'll discover if they go to public school. They should at least be aware that they are making a choice to believe in Christ, rather than Allah or anyone else.

Of course. I teach my kids there are many 'false' ways to know God - and a LOT of people believe in those ways. Yet, we know the 'absolute truth'. Our Faith is our truth and no other religion/faith will lead one to God. Only the Christianity as presented in the Bible. There is NO wiggle room - no 'many paths'. "Narrow is the way (to God), and only a Few shall find it".

It's my Duty as a christian and as a father to ground them in basic truths about life, God, and the world around them.

liberalogic said:
From what I've seen, the main problem is the tension between one's duty as a parent relative to faith and placing a divide between your child and you by not instilling faith.

I'm not quite sure about the "Public" school comment...at least not in todays world...While attending HS in the sixtees I took a comparative religion course...although it did not make me change from being a Catholic...it did make me aware of other religions and learn to respect them(Islam excepted)! Today the only religion that seems to be allowed to be brought to the forefront in public school is Islam...and this is one religion I totally disagree with...I see it as a political party masked as a religion!...IMO

liberalogic said:

I will say that I refute the argument of "why is the sky blue?" or other examples like that because those can be factually deduced. There is a scientific reason why the sky is blue, obviously a young kid won't understand. But there is a definite answer to that. Religion itself is diverse (that's why there's so many), so to juxtapose facts and ambiguity (something that is an opinion/belief, rather than a scientifically proven theory) is kind of like comparing apples and oranges.

Religions, while diverse, are also either right or wrong. Either Christianity is true or it isn't. Either Islam is true or it isn't. Either atheism is true or it isn't. They cannot all be true. And frankly, the evidence for the existence of God and the truth of Christianity is overwhelming - not to mention my own personal experiences, which confirm that truth. So I have no qualms about presenting Christianity as truth, just as I can teach my children why the sky is blue with no qualms about the truthfulness of what I say.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
It's very true that all religions can't be right-- that's part of what bothers me so much about religion in general. How can so many people believe so many different things?

I understand that you believe your faith is true. I'm not trying to strip you of this. But there are things that we can prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, without a hint of reservation. Many of them are scientific-- such as why the sky is blue. And I don't mean this in a sarcastic or mean-spirited way: until you see Christ with your own eyes and you're sure he exists, you can only have faith. And there's nothing wrong with that. But faith, as powerful as it is, cannot humanly be described as fact. To put it this way: you might be 99% percent sure that Christ exists, but we're all 100% sure of why the sky is blue.

gop_jeff said:
Religions, while diverse, are also either right or wrong. Either Christianity is true or it isn't. Either Islam is true or it isn't. Either atheism is true or it isn't. They cannot all be true. And frankly, the evidence for the existence of God and the truth of Christianity is overwhelming - not to mention my own personal experiences, which confirm that truth. So I have no qualms about presenting Christianity as truth, just as I can teach my children why the sky is blue with no qualms about the truthfulness of what I say.

liberalogic said:
To put it this way: you might be 99% percent sure that Christ exists, but we're all 100% sure of why the sky is blue.

Jeff is 100% sure Christ exists. Just as we see invisible forces in nature, we see Christ changing things he interacts with. Lives.

gop_jeff said:
Unless of course whatever you believe in is truth. Who's to say your truth is the same as my truth? Yay more philosophy benders.

dmp said:
Jeff is 100% sure Christ exists. Just as we see invisible forces in nature, we see Christ changing things he interacts with. Lives.
Yes, He enters the physical world. He interacts, communicates, and loves. He's actually more real to me than any of you guys are. No offense. I haven't seen you guys, either. Just these words that keep popping up on my screen. Although I haven't seen Jesus, I have had other experiences that are too intense, too appropriate to have been coincidences.

mom4 said:
Yes, He enters the physical world. He interacts, communicates, and loves. He's actually more real to me than any of you guys are. No offense. I haven't seen you guys, either. Just these words that keep popping up on my screen. Although I haven't seen Jesus, I have had other experiences that are too intense, too appropriate to have been coincidences.

a big shopping...hit the loacl store for more snacks...so I noticed 'we the guys' are not Jesus...how true more like maybe...kinda sorta Disciples... flawed but keep trying...like the Energizer Bunny...No? :rotflmao:

archangel said:
a big shopping...hit the loacl store for more snacks...so I noticed 'we the guys' are not Jesus...how true more like maybe...kinda sorta Disciples... flawed but keep trying...like the Energizer Bunny...No? :rotflmao:
Yep, keep on going, Arch.
:)

liberalogic said:
I understand that you believe your faith is true. I'm not trying to strip you of this. But there are things that we can prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, without a hint of reservation. Many of them are scientific-- such as why the sky is blue. And I don't mean this in a sarcastic or mean-spirited way: until you see Christ with your own eyes and you're sure he exists, you can only have faith. And there's nothing wrong with that. But faith, as powerful as it is, cannot humanly be described as fact. To put it this way: you might be 99% percent sure that Christ exists, but we're all 100% sure of why the sky is blue.

1. Just because you can't prove something doesn't mean it's true. Before Newton, no one could "prove" that gravity existed, yet it was still true that it existed (side note: SpidermanTuba might say that the theory of gravity has still not been 100% proven - which would only bolster my case).

2. I have not seen Christ with my own eyes. However, this is not the only way of ascertaining His existence. For now, I have eyewitness accounts of His life, death, and resurrection; I have personal experience of interaction with God; I have logical proofs from nature, etc. to prove His existence.

Forum List

Back