Do you believe in the virgin birth of Jesus?

I never showed that slaves indeed had rights. I have already proven slaves had NO rights in bibical times. Perhaps you're mistaking my arguments for Allie's.

Wrong again brainiac ,you proved nothing. Read though Deuteronomy and Exodus. I already provided several examples of slaves rights earlier in the thread. There is even one section in the Bible clearly marked. Laws for bond servants.Just because you decided you proved something,doesn't mean you did. That is yet again you shooting hot air outta your ass.

Rationally speaking, even black American slaves did have limited rights...that obviously didn't justify the nature of their subjugation, as with Biblical slaves.

I find it curious that our resident Christian zealots have proven themselves unable to respond to the most elementary textual criticism.

Agna most does not equal all and the main reason many doubt it's authenticity is that they never bother to figure out what was going on.

Here let me enlighten you.

The woman, name unknow, was little more than a convenient cat's paw in an attempt to ensare Jesus in an unlawful act. To wit stoning a woman caught in an act of Adultery with out stoning her lover as well as required by Levitical law. What Jesus likely scratched in the dirt was either the name of the man who may well have been in the crowd gathered about or more likely, simply, Where is the man?' Double standards are something men invented.

No, my point was that John 7:53-8:11 wasn't an original part of the text to begin with, as evidenced by its absence from the oldest and most reliable manuscripts.

Those who believe in the infallibility of the Bible also need to answer questions regarding the contradictions between the gospels of Matthew and Luke regarding Jesus's birth, the central point of this thread.

I see that you've conveniently chosen to ignore the chronological issues surrounding Jesus's birth. Unsurprising.

I cant ignore what no one has mentioned to me. Im not reading the whole thread. Its pretty long. Im just reading the responses to my own post. So if youve got something to say or want to point me to what you think im ignoring, feel free to.

I cant ignore what no one has mentioned to me. Im not reading the whole thread. Its pretty long. Im just reading the responses to my own post. So if youve got something to say or want to point me to what you think im ignoring, feel free to.

Fine. Let's return to the issue of Quirinius. I asked Benthamite to come here from another forum for the sole purpose of posting that, so let's re-post what he originally posted. (I wrote it and told him to post it in the first place.)

Luke 2:1-5 reports that “And it came to pass in those days that a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered. This census first took place while Quirinius was governing Syria. So all went to be registered, everyone to his own city. Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife, who was with child."

Now, Publius Sulpicius Quirinius governed Syria during A.D. 6-9, after Herod Archelaus was banished. Similarly, the census taken during his period of governance occurred in A.D. 6, and Gamaliel mentioned in Acts 5:37 that this caused a violent revolt, (perhaps inspired by religious objections by the Jews in memory of King David’s sinful attempt to do the same thing), a fact that is recorded by the historian Josephus.
But if Jesus was born in A.D. 6, the attempts of Herod the Great to murder him that are recorded in Matthew 2 cannot be accurate, since Herod died in 4 B.C.

Hence, there is a discrepancy of about ten years between the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of Luke. Moreover, if we regard the birth date of A.D. 6 as being accurate, Luke’s account that “Jesus began his ministry at about thirty years of age” in Luke 3:23 would seem to be inaccurate.

Hence, it is for that reason that the author of the Gospel of Luke is regarded as having made a mistake, which of course, poses some problems for the conception of the Bible as “infallible” and “divinely inspired.”

Forum List

Back